Driver Recommendations

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
May sound like a broken record but lessons and patience are the answer.

Struggled with the driver for an age, took me around a year to sort it with a good few lessons.

Now fast becoming my most reliable club, I would of laughed at you if you said that to me this time last year.

I did change my driver though, I know it was not the club but I had lost all confidence. The change did help I think one of the best drivers I have ever had and regret selling was a 11.5° X Hot.

Also don't be shy to get a high lofted driver more loft aids forgiveness.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2nd hand M2, end of.

saw one advertised for 130 quid on bookface today!
Bit of a rarity that. Haven't seen many much under £200 myself.

Anyway, I'm gonna sort out a lesson and persevere with the G15 for a bit. But I'm also going to book a free fitting with that Titleist Thursdays promotion - never had a fitting before so that might open my eyes that I should be using something totally different. (Not going to spunk 400 quid on a new Titleist but I'll maybe use their recommendation and get some cheap equivalent - or keep the G15 if nothing stands out.)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
ive got a driving lesson on tuesday hopefully gonna sort me out

if it doesnt im going down to Lee porter to get fitted for a shaft

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lessons is obviously the sensible choice.

However, answering the question you actually asked, I think Taylormade drivers are great.

I had an RBZ2 which was great. But when I was fitted for it I had trouble launching the ball so had a 13 degree head. I kept the same shaft and bought an R15 head, put the settings on the most forgiving (weights wide apart) and it's great.

On the other hand, my first driver was a second hand ping G5. I loved that club. I could really hit that well. So I understand the ping love. I never got on as well with the newer ping models when testing, but that's almost certainly a technical issue!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bit of a rarity that. Haven't seen many much under £200 myself.

Anyway, I'm gonna sort out a lesson and persevere with the G15 for a bit. But I'm also going to book a free fitting with that Titleist Thursdays promotion - never had a fitting before so that might open my eyes that I should be using something totally different. (Not going to spunk 400 quid on a new Titleist but I'll maybe use their recommendation and get some cheap equivalent - or keep the G15 if nothing stands out.)

The G15 is one of the most forgiving drivers of recent years (as you will know by now). However, that said, once you have a lesson and get confidence in the Ping you'll see benefits on the course but of course the lure of new (or recent second hand) is always strong. A Titleist Thursday will give you some information in a fitting but you can may/should go to an independent fitter and try a few makes and models. You can't beat trying new gear!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The G15 is one of the most forgiving drivers of recent years (as you will know by now). However, that said, once you have a lesson and get confidence in the Ping you'll see benefits on the course but of course the lure of new (or recent second hand) is always strong. A Titleist Thursday will give you some information in a fitting but you can may/should go to an independent fitter and try a few makes and models. You can't beat trying new gear!!!
Yeah I know the G15 is famously forgiving, that's mainly why I bought it. Having gone from the 12° I had previously though, to the 10.5° Ping, I'm struggling a bit to get the ball up. Which is probably a swing issue, hence the lesson will look at that first. But maybe it will come to pass that I need a bit of extra loft off the tee, in which case I'd be looking for another driver again. I liked the sound of the Covert 2.0 actually, since I can set that to 11 or 11.5 without going all the way back up to 12, and it's apparently still pretty forgiving. But anyway, lesson and the Titleist Thursday fitting before I make any decisions on that. :)

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I figured someone would say that. I know it's probably the right call, and I'm not wholly against it, but I kind of have this thing about having got as far as I have without any lessons so far... I know I'll need some eventually but I'm happy to keep going if I can find a driver that works for me in the meantime.

I reckon if the next driver doesn't work then it'll be time for a lesson. That'll be a whole other thing to work out though since I haven't had one for 16 years.

Otikoru,

When I say this I do not mean to be snarky. But this thing you have is just ego and you are letting it limit your golfing potential. Is 16 years and a 24 handicap really anything to boast about? My last handicap was 12.6 about 15 months ago. I had a serious case of psoriatic arthropathy (think The Singing Detective) that lasted well over a year. I have been back 6 weeks, played ten rounds, low score 84 with a front nine of 40, and the two highest have been a 90 and a 91.

When I came back after a couple of rounds I went to see an LPGA pro who worked with my physical limitations and with practice twice a week and 36 holes, I have a goal of a round in the 70s before going for my card again and start competing.

I say do both. For $99 you can get a TM Aeroburner on Global Golf and they have good shipping rates to the UK.

My driver now has 15 degrees of loft, my next fairway wood is 21 degrees, then a 24 and 27 degree hybrid and 6-PW,AW,SW and LW with a putter. Can easily reach all the holes in regulation on my. 6300 course. Right now my swing speed is up from 78 to 85 with my driver. When it's up to 93 or so I am going to add a 17 or 18 degree wood.

You may regret a driver purchase but you will never regret a good lesson from a pro you trust. And remember set make up is also part of the equation.

Play well! You have got this and I think you would really enjoy the lesson experience.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Otikoru,

When I say this I do not mean to be snarky. But this thing you have is just ego and you are letting it limit your golfing potential. Is 16 years and a 24 handicap really anything to boast about? My last handicap was 12.6 about 15 months ago. I had a serious case of psoriatic arthropathy (think The Singing Detective) that lasted well over a year. I have been back 6 weeks, played ten rounds, low score 84 with a front nine of 40, and the two highest have been a 90 and a 91.

When I came back after a couple of rounds I went to see an LPGA pro who worked with my physical limitations and with practice twice a week and 36 holes, I have a goal of a round in the 70s before going for my card again and start competing.

I say do both. For $99 you can get a TM Aeroburner on Global Golf and they have good shipping rates to the UK.

My driver now has 15 degrees of loft, my next fairway wood is 21 degrees, then a 24 and 27 degree hybrid and 6-PW,AW,SW and LW with a putter. Can easily reach all the holes in regulation on my. 6300 course. Right now my swing speed is up from 78 to 85 with my driver. When it's up to 93 or so I am going to add a 17 or 18 degree wood.

You may regret a driver purchase but you will never regret a good lesson from a pro you trust. And remember set make up is also part of the equation.

Play well!
"boast about" :rofl: Hardly boasting. Through my 20s I only played about once a year, only been playing more regularly for the last 18 months or so, so I just meant I was enjoying my golf at the moment without really thinking about lessons and so on.

The "pro you trust" part in your last paragraph is the other issue I was touching upon. Having not had any lessons, there is no 'pro I trust', it's going to be more of a stab in the dark really. But we'll see how it goes. I'm just going to do the £30 for a half hour lesson first, and if it goes well I could book a second, longer lesson later on.