14th club recommendations

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Too little info really to give a proper answer but ill give it a go.

If your handicap is in the double digits you Will likely benefit from a 4hyrbid in there or even a 5 hybrid. Really useful from that 180 -200 odd range.

If you are a good ball striker and low handicap then you might find a driving iron to be a bit of a weapon. Again don't recommend one if you are in double digits handicap. Never really see that work well.

There's a fair gap between ur pw and gap. You could certainly rejig those to bring the gaps a bit closer.

Pw 48 52 58 still 4 wedges but better gapping.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How often do you stand by your ball and feel you havnt got the right club in your bag.

your wedge to 50 is a big gap this is the scoring range.
But an extra hybrid might solve a par 3 yardage.
So put in what suits your game.

slicer79

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just play with those 13, you'll never notice the difference.
Cheaper too.
I'd be of that thinking too unless something is jumping out at you as missing. I've only 13 clubs myself and find it covers what I need. I'd actually think I could probably drop another couple clubs and not notice the loss either. 14 is the max but I wouldn't think it's a necessity if less work fine

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I recently had a space in the bag, which was Driver, 2H, 4-GW, 54 & 58 + Putter. For the 14th club I bought a 4H, not to cover any gaps, but as a club to use in long or wet rough, where an iron may struggle.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say what’s your yardages, what are you knock down distances etc
So 3/4 8 onwards .. which club do you look at and think you will do best with.
In the end all of your lofts are not relevant it’s the distances and manipulated distances that dictate your bag and then the flights and roll out.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would say what’s your yardages, what are you knock down distances etc
So 3/4 8 onwards .. which club do you look at and think you will do best with.
In the end all of your lofts are not relevant it’s the distances and manipulated distances that dictate your bag and then the flights and roll out.
Totally agree. People are making suggestions without knowing the basic facts about the OP. Are his clubs all the same spec? Does he hit wood/long irons well? Without distances it is just a stab in the dark based on each posters preferences

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just gone through my bag, in my head. I have 11 clubs in there. I could add more but it would largely be for the sake of it. If people want to max out at 14, go for it. It isn't compulsory though.
I have been using a carry bag and deliberately reduced my clubs.
I carry
Driver
5 wood
Hybrid
7,8,9,PW, 46, 50, 58 sand wedge
Putter

I am thinking of dropping the 58 to a 56 which is more course suitable but also bunker friendly.
The 5 wood is alway rotated with a 7 or 3 …
When I have a trolley everything goes in up to the limit but mainly at the long end to give more tee shot choice.

RichA

Visit site
I've played most of the last few years with 10 clubs. I've recently gone up to 13, but probably don't really need a couple of them.
When trolleys are banned and I have to carry, I usually go down to 6 or 7 and rarely find myself sorely missing any particular club - just go up to the next longest one and concentrate really hard on hitting the ground first to take a bit of distance off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've played most of the last few years with 10 clubs. I've recently gone up to 13, but probably don't really need a couple of them.
When trolleys are banned and I have to carry, I usually go down to 6 or 7 and rarely find myself sorely missing any particular club - just go up to the next longest one and concentrate really hard on hitting the ground first to take a bit of distance off.
I've been carrying 10 clubs in winter. Took 7 wood, 6, 8 & PW out of the bag. As overall distance is reduced in winter the gaps between clubs become slightly smaller anyway I think, so you can grip down a bit on the longer club if you haven't got the one you normally use.

RichA

Visit site
I've been carrying 10 clubs in winter. Took 7 wood, 6, 8 & PW out of the bag. As overall distance is reduced in winter the gaps between clubs become slightly smaller anyway I think, so you can grip down a bit on the longer club if you haven't got the one you normally use.
But if I grip down I'm less likely to fat it and it might go further.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys. Just based on the lofts of clubs I posted earlier would a 4 or 5 hybrid be more suited?
I think my hybrid is a 5 hybrid and it's 23°, so would effectively be a replacement for your 5 iron. Obviously each hybrid is going to vary in loft so try and look at that rather than the number on it - but I guess a 4H is more like to sit between your 3H and 5i if that's what you want it do. Around 20° maybe. I'm still not sure if you need one there though.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys. Just based on the lofts of clubs I posted earlier would a 4 or 5 hybrid be more suited?
What yardage are you trying to achieve .. hybrids are notoriously different even with the same number on. I picked up a cheap Yonex adjustable 4 and then fiddled it to give me my gap.
So I would recommend doing the same and think about its loft adjustment, also you can shorten or lengthen it

RichA

Visit site
I would have thought that you're in the best position to figure it out by trial and error. If we're honest, myself and most of the average guys I play with probably only have a few yards between our 4 and 5 hybrids or irons or 7-woods anyway.
For me, fewer clubs that do the about the same thing equals less indecision and a more positive shot. I hate standing over the ball thinking, "Is this the right club?"

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
With a PW at 43.5, I’d be looking at having wedges at 48*, 52* & 56*. I’d drop the 60* = too fiddly and easy to chunk.

I’d have the addition at the other end of the bag, and add something a little different. I’d choose a 7 wood to give something with a lot higher flight into the green.