Dress Code Question

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This just came up in discussion with my golf pals, because we have one friend who, shall we say, pushes the boundaries of the dress code somewhat (normal t-shirt rather than collar under a jumper to hide it and so on). He got caught out on this last week and moaned at, so we obviously took the piss and told him to sort himself out.

Anyway, I remembered this iconic picture of the Tiger fist pump in which he has a t-shirt on with no collar:

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdi...ling-putt-ahn-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.35.jpg

I've always wondered why it was allowed? Was there any reason other than it being Tiger so he can do what he wants??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This just came up in discussion with my golf pals, because we have one friend who, shall we say, pushes the boundaries of the dress code somewhat (normal t-shirt rather than collar under a jumper to hide it and so on). He got caught out on this last week and moaned at, so we obviously took the piss and told him to sort himself out.

Anyway, I remembered this iconic picture of the Tiger fist pump in which he has a t-shirt on with no collar:

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdi...ling-putt-ahn-PI.vresize.1200.675.high.35.jpg

I've always wondered why it was allowed? Was there any reason other than it being Tiger so he can do what he wants??

depends on the dress code where ever tiger was playing. If he turned up at HCEG with that on i'm sure he would not be allowed in.

Tour dress codes are different to members clubs i would imagine

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
so its the winter and your wearing your waterproof jacket (zipped up to the top) do you wear a golf jumper and shirt underneath?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
so its the winter and your wearing your waterproof jacket (zipped up to the top) do you wear a golf jumper and shirt underneath?
Are you asking me? I don't understand the question. I might wear three layers like that if it's raining and cold.. why do you ask?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you asking me? I don't understand the question. I might wear three layers like that if it's raining and cold.. why do you ask?

sorry, my entire post didn't show for some reason.

my pal got pulled at his local club for wearing non golf cloths under his jacket that no one was ever going to see. pretty similar to your friend

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

yes.

If for no other reason than I might want to remove my waterproofs during the round or find myself in the clubhouse before or after playing and having to take my waterproofs off.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
sorry, my entire post didn't show for some reason.

my pal got pulled at his local club for wearing non golf cloths under his jacket that no one was ever going to see. pretty similar to your friend
Ah right ok. My mate never gets caught as long he leaves his jumper on (which he did all through winter of course), because it's a high necked jumper he wears as well. His mistake this time was that it was a hot day and he'd already taken his jumper off without thinking before going to pay for his round! :lol: They told him to either change into a collared shirt or put the jumper back on.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is there an agreed definition of a "golf" jumper as opposed to an ordinary jumper?
Surely not - although I would never wear a hoodie to play. I usually just wear my knitted v-neck jumpers that I also wear to work since they look smart. Obviously I still wear polos under them because they don't cover the neck, but I always wear a polo shirt regardless.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

No, at that time he could have played in Bermuda shorts and they would have allowed it. The power of him and Nike at that time was huge and no one wanted to upset either.

I'm not a huge fan of dress codes, do pockets on your shorts really impact?, but I don't like the t-shirt style of tops. It's not asking a lot to wear a polo shirt, plenty out there, low cost, not a barrier to playing the game. I thought that was cheap marketing by Nike to make their brand stand out from the crowd, create some controversy. They succeeded, shame.

A jumper is a jumper. It is not compulsory for it to have diamonds on it to be a golf jumper. (any youngster out there just look at a picture of any golfer in the 80's)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, at that time he could have played in Bermuda shorts and they would have allowed it. The power of him and Nike at that time was huge and no one wanted to upset either.

I'm not a huge fan of dress codes, do pockets on your shorts really impact?, but I don't like the t-shirt style of tops. It's not asking a lot to wear a polo shirt, plenty out there, low cost, not a barrier to playing the game. I thought that was cheap marketing by Nike to make their brand stand out from the crowd, create some controversy. They succeeded, shame.

A jumper is a jumper. It is not compulsory for it to have diamonds on it to be a golf jumper. (any youngster out there just look at a picture of any golfer in the 80's)
I suspected this since he wore it in his prime. Can't have sent a great message to newer golfers at that time who possibly didn't know about dress codes, turned up at their local clubs in t-shirts and potentially got turned away!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't necessarily mind a bit of a dress code so long as it isn't designed to make people look like idiots.

The one I absolutely hate is knee length socks or white mid calf length tennis socks required with shorts. Ideally worn with non-white golf shoes to make it even worse. Just a money making scheme so the shop can sell them at 15 quid a pair.

Add to that clubs that take the huff about the clothes you arrive wearing, if I have just spent all day in town I might arrive wearing jeans and trainers and will change in the facilities there because that is what they are there for imo.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't necessarily mind a bit of a dress code so long as it isn't designed to make people look like idiots.

The one I absolutely hate is knee length socks or white mid calf length tennis socks required with shorts. Ideally worn with non-white golf shoes to make it even worse. Just a money making scheme so the shop can sell them at 15 quid a pair.

Add to that clubs that take the huff about the clothes you arrive wearing, if I have just spent all day in town I might arrive wearing jeans and trainers and will change in the facilities there because that is what they are there for imo.

Surely no clubs are still making people wear plus fours and argyle socks or the like?? Anywhere I've played just says collared shirt (polo) and trousers or tailored shorts (no cargo pants).

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf club etiquette typically requires a reasonable dress code on the course and in the clubhouse. Some clubs are more anal than others, extending dress code to the car park being a good example of over doing the dress code thing.

Anyone not wishing to at least make an effort to meet a particular club's dress code, should not be surprised when (other) members and officials grumble.

I don't understand why some people insist on dragging everything down to the base level in the name of making things 'fair'.

"I'm not allowed to wear my hat in the bar! It's not fair!"
"I'm not allowed to play in cargo pants! It's not fair!"
"I can't play in a tee shirt! It's not fair!"
Etc.

So while many spend a fortune on the latest clubs, Galvin's and other gear, they have no money for some polo shirts, trousers and shorts? BS! They just can't be bothered to make an effort to dress properly, even though they are fully aware of the dress code.

.... Gets down off soapbox... :(

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Dress codes are so overrated... No point in them in this day and age.

I understand what you mean about Jacket and Tie in the bar.... but would you would play football in cricket gear? :D

We are piloting jeans being allowed in one bar - the reaction from some of the oldies was amazing! You'd think that mass murder had taken place!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Golf club etiquette typically requires a reasonable dress code on the course and in the clubhouse. Some clubs are more anal than others, extending dress code to the car park being a good example of over doing the dress code thing.

Anyone not wishing to at least make an effort to meet a particular club's dress code, should not be surprised when (other) members and officials grumble.

I don't understand why some people insist on dragging everything down to the base level in the name of making things 'fair'.

"I'm not allowed to wear my hat in the bar! It's not fair!"
"I'm not allowed to play in cargo pants! It's not fair!"
"I can't play in a tee shirt! It's not fair!"
Etc.

So while many spend a fortune on the latest clubs, Galvin's and other gear, they have no money for some polo shirts, trousers and shorts? BS! They just can't be bothered to make an effort to dress properly, even though they are fully aware of the dress code.

.... Gets down off soapbox... :(

well put

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
why does someone need to make an effort? what does it matter what someone else is wearing?
If you don't like a dress code, play where there isn't one. Simples.

Where there is a dress code, it should be respected in the same way as other aspects of the game of golf.