Dream on!!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
@ Dan,

Not sure how you can say that Norman is not a good example then go on to explain what a great work ethic and practice regime he had, how he had great determination and drive??

For me that is everything that you need to succeed and therefore is an outstanding candidate for a role model!

Having talent obviously helps but having the correct attitude also puts you ahead of the majority of golfers out there.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Anyway @Dan please do let us know what your current handicap is, how long you've been playing, how much you practice/practice schedule and what your best round of golf to date is and what the css was on the day. I'm sure we can all make our own minds up whether you are kidding yourself or not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Single figures is my goal and even that is proving really hard. I think it can be done and the handicap is coming down so there are positives in 2019. I do work on my game regularly but I would suggest to the OP the issue may not be what you are practising, but whether you are working on the right things and doing so correctly. I have tried going down the no lesson route (think I've only had 1 in 2019) but I am aware that my swing and especially tempo (and by default my takeaway) isn't right so will be rectifying this and using up the 6 lessons I got last Christmas. I hope I can firm a few things up and move on by a couple more shots before the end of the year and reassess

sunshine

Visit site
@ Dan,

Not sure how you can say that Norman is not a good example then go on to explain what a great work ethic and practice regime he had, how he had great determination and drive??

For me that is everything that you need to succeed and therefore is an outstanding candidate for a role model!

Having talent obviously helps but having the correct attitude also puts you ahead of the majority of golfers out there.

Doesn't matter how good your work ethic is, without the raw natural talent you're not going to the top. The equation for Norman or any other professional starts with talent.

sunshine

Visit site
Not just Scotland sadly. Look at any town centre in the country and you'll see overweight kids, usually being accompanied by obese parents.

Sadly you are absolutely right. It's just the last time I was in Edinburgh I must have driven by a bus load of them. It's become a social issue. For thousands of years the rich were fat and the poor were skinny, now the reverse is true.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thankfully Greg Norman didn't have such a defeatest attitude. Greg took up golf at 16 and is a major winner and former world number one.

Follow your dreams and ignore the negativity.

Go for it, be the best you can.

Wasnt Colin Montgomery off 6 when he was 18 or something, as well?

darriusdax

Visit site
Doesn't matter how good your work ethic is, without the raw natural talent you're not going to the top. The equation for Norman or any other professional starts with talent.
again/// what is this thing talent... its a made up concept founded on nothing. I wasnt talented because my pelvic tilt was wrong... now a coach has corrected this minor error... i am hitting balls long and straight... is that talent or just a correction in posture.... *** talent.... respect attitude and determination... thats what Norman had in spades.

sunshine

Visit site
again/// what is this thing talent... its a made up concept founded on nothing. I wasnt talented because my pelvic tilt was wrong... now a coach has corrected this minor error... i am hitting balls long and straight... is that talent or just a correction in posture.... *** talent.... respect attitude and determination... thats what Norman had in spades.

You are posting about improving your golf, a coach helped you improve your ball striking. Well done. I've never seen you play golf and have no idea how good you are or can be.

Do you believe you or anyone else can win a major? Become a premier league footballer? Win the 100m at the olympics? Because you're saying that talent doesn't exist, it's all down to attitude and determination, which is utter tripe. I thought pars are good explained it pretty well.

Have you ever wondered why some people are better at doing a task than others? Do you assume it's entirely because of coaching and practise? Could it be possible that some people are naturally better dancers than others, or faster runners or more musical or better at sums or telling stories or throwing a ball?

darriusdax

Visit site
You are posting about improving your golf, a coach helped you improve your ball striking. Well done. I've never seen you play golf and have no idea how good you are or can be.

Do you believe you or anyone else can win a major? Become a premier league footballer? Win the 100m at the olympics? Because you're saying that talent doesn't exist, it's all down to attitude and determination, which is utter tripe. I thought pars are good explained it pretty well.

Have you ever wondered why some people are better at doing a task than others? Do you assume it's entirely because of coaching and practise? Could it be possible that some people are naturally better dancers than others, or faster runners or more musical or better at sums or telling stories or throwing a ball?
I accept your point.. what pisses me off is that talent is too quickly determined at a young age.... i showed no ability to strike a ball like i do now... does that mean i lacked talent or what.... you tell me.

sunshine

Visit site
I accept your point.. what pisses me off is that talent is too quickly determined at a young age.... i showed no ability to strike a ball like i do now... does that mean i lacked talent or what.... you tell me.

Natural hand eye coordination, natural ball striking, is just one of the talents needed for golf , there are so many more, both mental and physical. You may have all the natural ability you need to achieve your dreams

darriusdax

Visit site
Natural hand eye coordination, natural ball striking, is just one of the talents needed for golf , there are so many more, both mental and physical. You may have all the natural ability you need to achieve your dreams
rage.... we all have natural ability... sometimes it gets blocked or obstructed

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
rage.... we all have natural ability... sometimes it gets blocked or obstructed

Talent exists, some people have lots more than others, the easiest way to see it is to move away from a skilled tasks like a golf swing and look at sports or training that is simpler, jumping, running, picking up weights - yes all of these are still highly technical, but you start to see that some people will just always do them better. Then you can go to another layer to really show it, physical attributes, you cannot coach, train or otherwise modify height (ignoring crazy surgery), it's just what you are. Some of these components of talent will limit what you can achieve, however my personal opinion is that most people believe the limits are too low (usually to account for being poor learners as per my previous post), sure, you're never going to be a tour player and it's almost certain you won't shoot in the 60's, but going round in level par on a non-tour course is possible.

In addition to the above humans are generally very bad judges of talent, even in very developed athletes. A good example of this is if you look at the draft system in US sports. Look up NFL draft busts or surprises and you will get huge lists of top picks who achieved nothing or low picks who became superstars. This effect is exaggerated in kids, because of how quickly they develop. If you want a striking example fo this, look at NHL ice hockey player birth month stats - Link They basically show that the later in the year you are born, the less likely you are to be a pro. This is because in the youth leagues, the age cut off is based on the calendar year. The kids with earlier birthdays are generally bigger and more developed with motor skills, so they appear better, so they get more coaching and the vicious circle begins. Sad to think how much talent is overlooked and lost in the later birth months just because of this phenomenon.