When did you call it a day on lessons?

A

Alex1975

I may be wrong and am happy to be pulled up on it but I think it was Seve who said growing up all he had was a 4 iron and a load of land around him. He spent all his time finding every conceivable way to hit that 4 iron. High, low, left, right.... working out what works and does not....

Bubba, there is not a single thing in Bubba`s swing that you could teach anyone and it be`proper`.... he puts his body in the place where he feel he can hit the ball and hits it.

Now these kind of comments come up all the time in defense of lesson or the PGA manual or whatever but actually if some of us spent a little more time looking into what we are actually capable of with some independent thought and some quality practice we might spend less time taking lessons or talking about the `proper`way of doing things..... Of course it all depends how you learn! We all learn differently but I would suggest that everyone could benefit from quality experimentation and visualization.

Last edited:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does Homer swing properly?

I think the part that you're not understanding is that there's more then one way to swing properly and you seem to interpret my posts as if there's only one way. If you re-watch my post about the backswing (that seems to be the crux of your argument) you might spot the part where I state that people can have different p2 positions... therefore they are NOT swinging exactly the same.... but the fundamentals run true.

You tell me, it's not me describing swings as proper.

I would have thought that a coach or teacher would welcome and encourage questioning.

A

Alex1975

You tell me, it's not me describing swings as proper.

I would have thought that a coach or teacher would welcome and encourage questioning.

A very very rare thing that... A golf coach without an ego... Cant think of one... Preacher or Teacher?! (I just came up with that all on my own....) That`s what I shall call my golf book! or something....

I am off to find another way to bring that up in conversation.... :):eek:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I may be wrong and am happy to be pulled up on it but I think it was Seve who said growing up all he had was a 4 iron and a load of land around him. He spent all his time finding every conceivable way to hit that 4 iron. High, low, left, right.... working out what works and does not....

Bubba, there is not a single thing in Bubba`s swing that you could teach anyone and it be`proper`.... he puts his body in the place where he feel he can hit the ball and hits it.

Now these kind of comments come up all the time in defense of lesson or the PGA manual or whatever but actually if some of us spent a little more time looking into what we are actually capable of with some independent thought and some quality practice we might spend less time taking lessons or talking about the `proper`way of doing things..... Of course it all depends how you learn! We all learn differently but I would suggest that everyone could benefit from quality experimentation and visualization.
Spot on this Alex IMO. :thup:
Different swings work for different people. Look at the variation of swings on tour.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I don't agree, but hey-ho.

[video=youtube;sQGNquHtB4A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQGNquHtB4A[/video]

Fish

Banned
Visit site

+1 :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
He spent all his time finding every conceivable way to hit that 4 iron. High, low, left, right.... working out what works and does not....

And after spending ALL HIS TIME did he work out that swinging it around his ankles with an uber strong grip, getting the club across the line and early extending with a 'flip' at impact was the best way? :whistle:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

While I agree on almost all of it (Practice, understanding your limits etc), I do have one question.

Would the kind of swing you advocate (... Home built for want of a better phrase) then become reliant on compensations for other faults through out the swing?

Would that not make the said swing less reliable?

My understanding of what I've learned so far (... From my pro) is you want to take compensations out of the swing rather than encourage them. If the swing moves along hitting the correct positions (... With some margin for error allowed for flexability and other factors) both back and through, without compensatins for other 'faults', would that not be a more solid, reliable swing?

I believe this is what a pro will teach, my pro certainly does. If it was a case of a "my way or the highway" mentality, I would run a mile!

As I say, I agree with most of the point you make, but I have that proviso.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have you got a question then... or are you just having a bickering day?

I'll repeat myself for your benefit - I'm not bickering with you.

You haven't explained a proper swing, just referenced types of swing that you think are not. In fact what you did was to make stupid and childish examples to try to (over)do any point you are trying to support.

Ray Floyd, Jeev Milkha Singh, Dustin Johnson, Bubba Watson, Arnold frigging Palmer for christ's sake................which one fits your "proper" swing model?

A

Alex1975

While I agree on almost all of it (Practice, understanding your limits etc), I do have one question.

Would the kind of swing you advocate (... Home built for want of a better phrase) then become reliant on compensations for other faults through out the swing?

Would that not make the said swing less reliable?

My understanding of what I've learned so far (... From my pro) is you want to take compensations out of the swing rather than encourage them. If the swing moves along hitting the correct positions (... With some margin for error allowed for flexability and other factors) both back and through, without compensatins for other 'faults', would that not be a more solid, reliable swing?

I believe this is what a pro will teach, my pro certainly does. If it was a case of a "my way or the highway" mentality, I would run a mile!

As I say, I agree with most of the point you make, but I have that proviso.

All good buddy,

My recent experience is that for 9 months and loads of lessons my coach made me work on not getting the club behind me (a very worthy lesson to learn you would have to say). For 7 months and many many thousands of balls I failed, gave up and worked on impact. Last week I was on the monitor and camera and at P1 the club was way behind me, I was gutted until we moved the frames onto impact... It was AWESOME!!! Pro said ok we can let the P1 go now and although not ideal you work the club into such a great place that I am happy to leave it...............

I should say no more at this point as its kinda all been said but.... we worked for 9 months and now we can let it go?? I am thinking we should have always been looking at impact. I am not hitting the ball on the way back. I will be propperly happy to have an imperfect swing that puts the ball where I want it. /wipers 3 eagles this month.... :D (had to drop it into a post somewhere...)(ops that would be last month now)

James - Bubba, one of my favorites but you would have to admit he rarely does the same swing twice, he is not a candidate for stable footwork and so on. That said, what we talked about last night.... he is pretty much doing that! See right knee and so on. You have seen I am sure...

As for the Seve thing, no he did not, I am missing your point though? He found the way... that corroborates my point.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So it IS a bickering day!!

what you did was to make stupid and childish examples to try to (over)do any point you are trying to support.

You mean like the swing examples you just asked about?

(Didn't know that was Arnold Palmer's middle name!!)

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I am thinking we should have always been looking at impact.

You're just saying the same things that I say, you just use more words :D

Ironically when I said that impact was the starting point I just got slated that apparently impact just happens as part of the normal swing...... so brace yourself for the forum backlash..... (actually I think you'll be lucky and no one will pick up on it) :thup:

Now where's that cab??? :rofl:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
So it IS a bickering day!!

You mean like the swing examples you just asked about?

(Didn't know that was Arnold Palmer's middle name!!)

All swings of professional golfers of varying accomplishment - none of them run at the ball or play with their hand in their pocket by the way - although they probably could.

Are you not able to back your opinion up when challenged?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oooooooooh, we're on to challenges now!! :rofl:

Ok, I think we have established that unless you are spouting about you and what you think then you are incapable of discussion.

As you keep referencing other threads and other forums you are obviously interested in what others have to say about you and what you think. Which only makes me think that you enjoy the chocolate boy nickname you have and that it's true or that you try to play up to it.

Thanks for your time though - it has made things clearer.

A

Alex1975

You're just saying the same things that I say, you just use more words :D

Ironically when I said that impact was the starting point I just got slated that apparently impact just happens as part of the normal swing...... so brace yourself for the forum backlash..... (actually I think you'll be lucky and no one will pick up on it) :thup:

Now where's that cab??? :rofl:

I backed you when you said it, it was my first post in a month since you wound me up to all hell, check back! Also I am not part of the production of the JustOne Show so calling less attention to myself :D

Edit: Meant in fun in case the smily did not cover that....