When did you call it a day on lessons?

A

Alex1975

Like I said, we're saying the same thing :thup:

Take a bunch of noobs, make them visit the impact position a few times then ask them to hit the ball on the way though and I bet you would see some amassing things. No preconceptions, body has been shown the way... off it goes.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Take a bunch of noobs, make them visit the impact position a few times then ask them to hit the ball on the way though and I bet you would see some amazing things. No preconceptions, body has been shown the way... off it goes.

Absolutely. I've seen some spectacular results once people know what they're 'supposed' to be doing.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with almost all of what all the (supposed) bickerers re saying.

It seems to me that there are many ways for different folk to learn - anything - so it's really a case of finding the right approach and the right teacher (if any) for the individual.

I know a 3-capper with an ugly swing - the only position where things are right is impact - that a couple of Pros say he's had too long to change. It's 98% repeatable, so those 2 attributes would be my answer to Robobum's question about what a good swing was.

Yes, some want to know the technicalities about ball flight laws - and they've helped me - but they obviously aren't all-important. The fact that folk were hitting Draws and Fades around obstacles using the wrong 'Old' ones demonstrates to me that unconscious experience over-rides rigid positional teaching.

As far as actual lessons are concerned, I believe that finding a teacher that you can relate to and who are appreciates what you are capable of (and incapable of) is important. They can really only set you in the 'right' direction. Getting to the destination is really up to the player - through practice. If you are not able/prepared, for whatever reason, to put the practice in, then here is not really any point in having lessons.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do I swing it properly. Not in a textbook fashion. No way Jose. However I do have a way that gets it forward and in play most of the time. A wonky short game and a flaky mental attitude don't help. The work I did last winter was to strip away the layers (bit like an onion) and try and get something slightly more functional and repeating.

There have been players through the ages that are not textbook. Look at Arnie, Trevino, Furyk, Bubba, Seve et al. None were things of artistic beauty but at the moment of impact they delivered the club perfectly. That is what I am trying hard to achieve

S

Snelly

Do I swing it properly. Not in a textbook fashion. No way Jose. However I do have a way that gets it forward and in play most of the time. A wonky short game and a flaky mental attitude don't help. The work I did last winter was to strip away the layers (bit like an onion) and try and get something slightly more functional and repeating.

There have been players through the ages that are not textbook. Look at Arnie, Trevino, Furyk, Bubba, Seve et al. None were things of artistic beauty but at the moment of impact they delivered the club perfectly. That is what I am trying hard to achieve

Homer! Wash your mouth out! Seve's swing was poetry in motion! A thing of great beauty....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Homer! Wash your mouth out! Seve's swing was poetry in motion! A thing of great beauty....

Are you sure you know what a proper swing looks like? :whistle:

Certainly something to admire, though always looked - even by the non-golfer that I was in his prime - like something that would wreck his body over time! The elegant simplicity of Bob Charles's however - not all that far from a toned down, left-handed version of Seve's - hasn't really changed in over 50 years!

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
However, what I would take issue with is the idea that you have to understand laws/mechanics etc in order to be a good player. You absolutely do not. Nor are lessons a pre-requisite to learning the game and becoming proficient. They are just one way of learning (to swing the club and hit the ball rather than learning the game!) and neither lessons nor ball laws are any kind of short cut to excellence. You still have to put the hours in, irrespective of how you are learning to play.

I think this entirely depends on the type of student.
Some people learn by doing
Some people learn by learning the mechanics behind it

There are people who soak up information most by visual stimulation (watch someone do something and repeat), others by audio instruction (listen to someone explain it then understand how to do it) and others that are mechnical (understand how to do it before reconstructing it).

You can see this on tour - there are a number of pros that just turn up and play well. They are feel players.
Then there are those that work hard, very hard at the game - Vijay Singh was a great example of this.

Horses for courses and all that.

S

Snelly

I think this entirely depends on the type of student.
Some people learn by doing
Some people learn by learning the mechanics behind it

There are people who soak up information most by visual stimulation (watch someone do something and repeat), others by audio instruction (listen to someone explain it then understand how to do it) and others that are mechnical (understand how to do it before reconstructing it).

You can see this on tour - there are a number of pros that just turn up and play well. They are feel players.
Then there are those that work hard, very hard at the game - Vijay Singh was a great example of this.

Horses for courses and all that.

I agree 100%.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My thoughts as well. Though his follow through did get a bit wild at times.;) Just finished reading his autobiography. A sad read as he seemed to have very few friends outside his family. In fact I found it quite depressing, and it didn't include his illness.