Caddying at the Open Qualifier Final Round

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
So I was fortunate enough to be asked by my friend if i wanted to caddy for him at his final qualifying round to get into the open.
He'd qualified at the London Club last week and his first choice was Sunningdale and second choice was Hilliside.
We were all set for a short trip over to Sunningdale and on Friday the email was sent out saying he was playing his qualifier at Hillside. So off up North we went to my folks house (2min away) on Sunday night to get a practice round in on Monday.
Arriving on Monday morning we were greeted by the Titleist van who asked what balls he played? The answer being ProV1x he was gifted with two dozen.
Next question was what glove he wore, Footjoy CabrettaSof and again 3 packs of gloves were handed to him. Pretty good service from the boys at Titleist and the range too was sponsored by them and all the range balls were ProV1's.
Once he'd registered we were free to play the round. We were greeted on the first tee by the R&A official and he gave us the yardage book which in itself was a fascinating read! Once I'd got adjusted to reading the markers and sprinkler heads we then got cracking taking what yardages we could for tomorrows round. It was nice and quiet out there and we were able to go around the course in peace and at our leisure.
Nice dinner followed then an early night to be at the course for 6:30am ready for a 7:30 start of 36 holes of golf!

Turned out to be a bloody scorcher and even in the morning there were spectators on the practice range and hovering around the first tee. Nerves were already kicking in (for both of us!) but we knew he was here for a reason and that was because he played bloody well the week before so he obviously has it in him.

First tee and the announcer called the 3 some that would be playing and up he stepped with a 4 iron and cranked it right down the middle. A small ripple of applause ensued then a nice walk up the 1st fairway to play the second.

We were in a group playing with Darren Wright a young chap on the Challenge Tour and Euro Pro Tour. He was a cracking lad and a great golfer. It was great to watch all of the pros play and be so close and see how they manage the course. It was truly an honour and privilege to witness it and be a part of it.

-6 qualified and there were 3 pro's and one am on that score and that forced a playoff as only 3 can qualify and unfortunately the am lost out on the 1st hole play off.

My boy was a little off the pace but nevertheless he did well in his first year qualifying and i'm sure he will be back for many more.

What a weekend and what an experience and i never even hit a ball…..

photo.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 4.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed the write-up, I was nervous for ye! Sounds like a great experience, no doubt there's plenty we could all learn from these boys even if we don't crush it as far.

Cheers dude

D

Deleted member 17920

Quality write up and shame he didn't get to the big one.

Hope he didn't take the same line as you did on the 8th hole the other week :whistle:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
A really good read. I'd like to read a write up of the round itself if you ever put one on here.

thats for the saved for the book deal!

top write up sounds a great experience. I bought an R&A strokesaver from the amateur championships amazing detail!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I've been promised 'a bag' by Merv79 if he ever gets around to entering, was hoping he would go for it this year :(

TopOfTheFlop

Head Pro
Visit site
He very nearly did! Hybrid to the second bunker slight draw and was blinded by the tree line for his second shot into the green (flag to the left) and he hit a 56 with slight draw up and around and landed 8ft right of the flag to then lip the put and tap in for par.

I will do a write up of the whole round if you'd like to hear it. I should have some free time later on to do a hole by hole account. It was definitely memorable and to play it at the King of Kings the month before with crazy wind to then be here with the sun shining and barely any wind on the first 18 it was very different. The second half of the afternoon the wind swirled and the same shot in to some flags was the difference between two clubs - links golf at its finest.
The highlight of the day for me to see was him on the Par 5 11th 508yds and to see him smash a high draw drive over the left bunker (288 carry) to land at 340yds leaving 158 with a 8 iron into the centre of the green. Truly stunning.

Quality write up and shame he didn't get to the big one.

Hope he didn't take the same line as you did on the 8th hole the other week :whistle: