Dream on!!!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Using Greg Norman as an inspiration that you can get to scratch in a year probably isn't the best idea. Norman was one of those guys who was a natural athlete and had a crazy work ethic. He was a very promising surfer and played cricket and rugby to a good level, he could have turned professional in other sports. His mother, a single figure golfer herself introduced him to the game "late" in life compared to most top pros, but at 16 he still had the time to spend literally all day at the golf course. He said on his Chronicles of a Champion Golfer episode that was at the golf course from sunrise to sunset hitting balls and practicing all day, so this was a stud athlete with all the time in the world fully dedicating himself to a sport, he was bound to get good.

Most of these beginner/mid-handicap to scratch challenges are all blighted by the same thing - the need to share with the world. There are so many people who claim they want to achieve this very, very difficult feat but then waste an extraordinary amount of time writing blogs, recording vlogs, promoting their blogs and vlogs on social media and posting on every golf forum under the sun. If you actually want to achieve your dream, then go out and do it. Spend those hours that all the others that failed wasted by writing inane blog posts on the golf course, or putting at home, or chipping in the garden.

I think the truth of it though is that most people who take on these challenges don't really want to put in that hard work, they're imagining this glory at the end of the 12 months when they've done it which just isn't going to be there, but tbh I don't think most actually want to do it for the personal achievement. A lot that I've seen want some sort of minor celebrity YouTube status than they actually want to achieve their so-called goal, because at the end of the day, the work that goes into getting from hacker to scratch is, I imagine, incredibly tedious. If you've got any sort of life outside of golf you very quickly realise what you're giving up, whether that's time with a wife or girlfriend, or with children, or it's just daydreaming sat at the desk of a job you hate.

I had these crazy goals a couple of years after taking up the game, considering getting into the golf industry, but very quickly realised that for me golf is a hobby, it's something I do for fun. I like playing golf and I don't mind practicing, but there are other things I like doing and other things more important than my golf game, and so for me, I'm going to try and get better at this crazy game, but at the end of the day I play for fun. I think if I was to seriously take on one of these challenges it would completely suck all of the fun out of the game I love, it would mean I would be forced to spend less time with my family and friends and ultimately I'd end up resenting the game when it doesn't come as easily as I would expect it to in my wild daydreams sat at my desk. To me, it's just not worth it. If you want to do it, and you've got the time, money and desire then fair play to you, I'm sure you'll get pretty good, if you don't, then stop putting unnecessary pressure on yourself and enjoy the game for what it is, a hobby.

darriusdax

Visit site
average talent... what does that even mean... there is no god given mystical talent... its made up of physical limitations, mental capacity, finding good mentors, belief, support etc etc... most of this factors can be worked on or sought out.... anyone seeing me swing a club at 14 yrs old would laugh and say i had no chance of getting under a 24 handicap,, but years later i worked at Gleneagles where with practice and help i got to 14.... now with money, more determination, and lots of free time i want to see just how good i can be.... so if i do get to single figures will people watch me hit a big straight drive and say ha... born with talent that boy... not knowing that i had to work my arse off to learn to alter the way i move my body ???

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of these beginner/mid-handicap to scratch challenges are all blighted by the same thing - the need to share with the world. There are so many people who claim they want to achieve this very, very difficult feat but then waste an extraordinary amount of time writing blogs, recording vlogs, promoting their blogs and vlogs on social media and posting on every golf forum under the sun. If you actually want to achieve your dream, then go out and do it. Spend those hours that all the others that failed wasted by writing inane blog posts on the golf course, or putting at home, or chipping in the garden.

I think the truth of it though is that most people who take on these challenges don't really want to put in that hard work, they're imagining this glory at the end of the 12 months when they've done it which just isn't going to be there, but tbh I don't think most actually want to do it for the personal achievement. A lot that I've seen want some sort of minor celebrity YouTube status than they actually want to achieve their so-called goal, because at the end of the day, the work that goes into getting from hacker to scratch is, I imagine, incredibly tedious. If you've got any sort of life outside of golf you very quickly realise what you're giving up, whether that's time with a wife or girlfriend, or with children, or it's just daydreaming sat at the desk of a job you hate.

This is part of what I was getting at in my previous post. The guy who wrote dream on actually had the goal of writing a book during the 12 months, the fact he kidded himself and the reader it was about golf doesn't make it so.

The other part I would add is that even those that may want it, don't necessarily know how to learn. Yes, there are biological reasons younger people learn quicker, but there are also procedural ones. Look at how young kids learn things we take for granted, like walking, writing, riding a bike etc... They don't just do the same thing over and over, they have a goal and keep trying different ways to achieve it. They fail more, but this speeds up learning. Adults have a fear of failing, so they avoid it, and slow down their learning.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
average talent... what does that even mean... there is no god given mystical talent... its made up of physical limitations, mental capacity, finding good mentors, belief, support etc etc... most of this factors can be worked on or sought out.... anyone seeing me swing a club at 14 yrs old would laugh and say i had no chance of getting under a 24 handicap,, but years later i worked at Gleneagles where with practice and help i got to 14.... now with money, more determination, and lots of free time i want to see just how good i can be.... so if i do get to single figures will people watch me hit a big straight drive and say ha... born with talent that boy... not knowing that i had to work my arse off to learn to alter the way i move my body ???
Some people are more adept at performing tasks where hand/eye co-ordination is required, some people have lots of swing speed, some people are naturally very good green readers, this is all talent. I've never seen a single figure golfer hit a drive and thought they were talented, perhaps if they were 13 or 14 I'd think they might have potential. I've played with lots of very good amateur golfers and there are only a couple who play off +5 who I'd say were definitely talented and also had lots of time/dedication at a relatively young age. When I first started playing golf I got a 10 handicap and within a year I played off 4 so I'd say that I definitely have something most people dont have naturally. My dad always said hard work will beat talent that doesn't work hard. This statement is true to an extent but definitely has limitations, you cant have someone who is a 15 handicap and plsyed for years, get them to practice and all of a sudden they become able to beat guys off of 3&4, that's just too much of a jump. It would require bucket loads of time/patience and lessons because so much would have to be re-learned and also then they might physically struggle to do certain things. You wont meet a scratch golfer who cant hit at at least 250 yards off the tee, yet you will play with lots of other golfers who can't. Things like this you just cant change that easily I'm afraid and if you think you can you certainly are kidding yourself

darriusdax

Visit site
Some people are more adept at performing tasks where hand/eye co-ordination is required, some people have lots of swing speed, some people are naturally very good green readers, this is all talent. I've never seen a single figure golfer hit a drive and thought they were talented, perhaps if they were 13 or 14 I'd think they might have potential. I've played with lots of very good amateur golfers and there are only a couple who play off +5 who I'd say were definitely talented and also had lots of time/dedication at a relatively young age. When I first started playing golf I got a 10 handicap and within a year I played off 4 so I'd say that I definitely have something most people dont have naturally. My dad always said hard work will beat talent that doesn't work hard. This statement is true to an extent but definitely has limitations, you cant have someone who is a 15 handicap and plsyed for years, get them to practice and all of a sudden they become able to beat guys off of 3&4, that's just too much of a jump. It would require bucket loads of time/patience and lessons because so much would have to be re-learned and also then they might physically struggle to do certain things. You wont meet a scratch golfer who cant hit at at least 250 yards off the tee, yet you will play with lots of other golfers who can't. Things like this you just cant change that easily I'm afraid and if you think you can you certainly are kidding yourself
I can and will, thanks for the motivation.

darriusdax

Visit site
If I didnt start inane blogs it would deny you the chance to write 4 paragraphs of your own ..... which you obviously enjoy.... let the inanity continue i say!!!!!

darriusdax

Visit site
Having thought about this... a lot.... i think you are part of the problem with this post.... the standard of golf at my club from people playing 6 to 8 hours a week is abysmal... not because of lack of talent but lack of coaching and instruction.. or failure to follow instruction... 90pc of members have a habitual slice which is an easily rectifiable fault for biomechanical reasons... considering it is one of the most popular sports it has to be the most undercoached.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having thought about this... a lot.... i think you are part of the problem with this post.... the standard of golf at my club from people playing 6 to 8 hours a week is abysmal... not because of lack of talent but lack of coaching and instruction.. or failure to follow instruction... 90pc of members have a habitual slice which is an easily rectifiable fault for biomechanical reasons... considering it is one of the most popular sports it has to be the most undercoached.
I'd say quite the opposite of your last sentence. Whether people decide to follow the advice is another matter but I can't think of another sport where 1 to 1 coaching is so easily available.

darriusdax

Visit site
I didnt say it wasnt available.... who actually takes it... golf is unusual in that it is not coached at school level... typically ... imagine a teacher saying to a bunch of 5yr olds ' theres some clubs.. some balls.. off you go get it in the hole... ' rugby, football, tennis, all coached from a young age... but no reason why a 40yr old cant turn back time unlearn and be coached

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had my 1st ever lesson age 70, it didn't really help, actually got worse, because i couldn't practice what i was shown as much as would've liked, sadly my body can only do so much these days :(.

I've come off a winter of 2 lessons a month and a complete swing change at age 66