DQ'd from Competition under rule 3.3b

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
You dont seem to mind doubting the word of a fair few people on this forum !

What’s wrong with that? Or are we just to assume that some of you are always right and aren’t allowed to be questioned?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why would I doubt the word of the pro/general manager by then researching the rule I've just asked him? Seems rude.
Because in this case he/they are NOT the right person to ask - your Handicap Secretary is the right one. The response you get from Pro/GM might be right, but is not 'the Authority'.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because in this case he/they are NOT the right person to ask - your Handicap Secretary is the right one. The response you get from Pro/GM might be right, but is not 'the Authority'.
Whoever the handicap secretary is, he wasn't standing in the pro shop at the time. :unsure:

DickInShorts

Visit site
Whoever the handicap secretary is, he wasn't standing in the pro shop at the time. :unsure:

Why would the Pro know - or indeed care or be interested - in rules about handicaps that don’t ever apply to him?

Like many club pros he probably no longer plays golf so would be the last person to ask about competition rules or handicaps

Swango1980

Visit site
Why would I doubt the word of the pro/general manager by then researching the rule I've just asked him? Seems rude.
Why would you doubt him? Well, maybe at the time it is the only information you had to rely on, and went with it. However, now that the facts have been brought to light, you now at least know they were wrong on this matter. Furthermore, if you ever ask them another Rules related question, you have reason to allow some doubt to their response, given their track record. And, if you doubt them, that does not necessarily mean you need to be rude. You could simply ask them to highlight the related Rule to back them up, and if they were wrong you can both feel you have helped each other arrive at the right conclusion after a bit further digging.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
First time I asked a/the Pro any Rules/Regs question, he stated that he wasn't the one to ask, but pointed where (who) to find out (from).
Why do you always feel you are a victim. Part of what Golf 'teaches' is the you are responsible for your own decisions. I suggest you take such lessons on board!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

Please don't feel I'm kicking a man when he's nearly down, but it is your personal responsibility to know and not to take the word of someone who may or may not know what he's talking about.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
What’s wrong with that? Or are we just to assume that some of you are always right and aren’t allowed to be questioned?
I think you should assume the some of us are usually right but should certainly be questioned if necessary. A certain member of the forum demonstrated that at the beginning of this very thread. ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have to day I have quite a lot of sympathy with Orikorus complaint.
In my view rules should at least be comprehensible from the rule book.
Most terms are clearly defined in the rules of golf handicap is not one of them.
If you go to the R&A handicapping guide it still does not tell you what you should enter.
If you then go to the guide on WHS in both the English and Scottish golf union websites it does not tell you what to enter.
Rules should be clear and unambiguous and easy to find.
The rule on handicapping certainly is not.

Swango1980

Visit site
Most terms are clearly defined in the rules of golf handicap is not one of them.
If you go to the R&A handicapping guide it still does not tell you what you should enter.
If you then go to the guide on WHS in both the English and Scottish golf union websites it does not tell you what to enter.
I agree, that since the introduction of WHS, it is less clear what handicap to enter unless you really dig for it (as post WHS). Pre WHS, players simply had a handicap. Now there is Handicap Index, Course Handicap and Playing Handicap, so I appreciate your point with the wording of the main rule.

But, it is clear the rules do not say you can omit the handicap entirely if you can't be arsed and the computer does it all anyway, which was Orikoru's argument. So, it is difficult to sympathise with that angle.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whoa, I got a lot of quotes there while I was out for a bit so I won't be answering everyone individually. ?

To summarise:
I still think it is stupid to demand we write handicaps on the card when the computer works it out for you.
I also realise that the pro who said my card was fine as it was got it wrong by the letter of the law, so by rights I could have been disqualified, although I wasn't.
Next comp I'll probably write the handicap on the card. ??‍♂️

Cheers all, it's been fun as always. See you again soon.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Whoa, I got a lot of quotes there while I was out for a bit so I won't be answering everyone individually. ?

To summarise:
I still think it is stupid to demand we write handicaps on the card when the computer works it out for you.
I also realise that the pro who said my card was fine as it was got it wrong by the letter of the law, so by rights I could have been disqualified, although I wasn't.
Next comp I'll probably write the handicap on the card. ??‍♂️

Cheers all, it's been fun as always. See you again soon.

Looking forward to the next rules thread

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

From the Scottish Golf website

What is a Course Handicap?
Your Course Handicap will be the number of strokes a player receives, before handicap allowances, from a specific set of tees as determined by the Slope Rating:
For example, for a golfer with a Handicap Index of 12.0, playing a course with a Slope Rating of 127, the calculation would be:
12.0 x (127/113) = 13.4867256637
This means the player’s Course Handicap will be 13.
Note This is the handicap you will put [on] your card and use when submitting a score, this the important handicap to remember!

The CONGU Guidance on the WHS also tells us, but in my book, handicap committees have a responsibility to ensure that something as basic and important as this is communicated to the membership.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From the Scottish Golf website

What is a Course Handicap?
Your Course Handicap will be the number of strokes a player receives, before handicap allowances, from a specific set of tees as determined by the Slope Rating:
For example, for a golfer with a Handicap Index of 12.0, playing a course with a Slope Rating of 127, the calculation would be:
12.0 x (127/113) = 13.4867256637
This means the player’s Course Handicap will be 13.
Note This is the handicap you will put [on] your card and use when submitting a score, this the important handicap to remember!

The CONGU Guidance on the WHS also tells us, but in my book, handicap committees have a responsibility to ensure that something as basic and important as this is communicated to the membership.
I don't doubt that it's somewhere on the website but if you go to the obvious place like the guide to handicaps and then onto player's guide to WHS it is not there .