Dr Bob Rotella - Golf is Not a Game of Perfect

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I got this in August last year and read it over the course of a few weeks.

Following reading it, I won a matchplay final and also won a strokeplay comp in pretty windy conditions (my only ever strokeplay win). Unfortunately I couldn't play that many medals last year so these are the only 2 'competition rounds' I've played following the book.

I can't speak highly enough of it. Obviously it is not a golf tuition book, it is about your mental attitude.
I realised that I played so many rounds and shots in fear (especially on difficult holes) and as a result, did not make a positive swing. I was worried about my technique, constantly tinkering etc and had no idea if a round was going to be a train wreck, of if I could baby it around to break 90. Doubted if I had the game to be a 'decent' golfer who could shoot in the 80s on a bad day and even threaten the 70s.

Anyway, after the September comp last year, I played very little through the winter and despite a few decent hits in February / March, I was aware that the course was playing short & very wide with a few temps in play. Then of course we had lockdown.

I've now played 5 games post lockdown. The last 3 have been consistently the best I've ever hit the ball and the 2 most recent (Saturday and Monday night) I just about put it all together and shot 82 (+12) both times. I'm 18 handicap and never been lower than 17... but now I feel I could be very comfortable in the low teens and can obviously still sharpen things up - especially with approach play, chipping and putting. I'm now making a birdie on almost every round.

At one point on Saturday I was level par through 8 holes and unfortunately leaked a few round the turn (pressure of being level par did get to me). But got it back on track to make a few pars and bogeys on the way in.

I put this all down the book and now remind myself (especially on the pressure shots where you know there is trouble) that I am in control and I have to make a positive swing. Really get through the ball. My iron play has been great and I can easily recover from average drives to have a chance of par or even a look at birdie.

I can't wait to get some competitions on the go and see if I can keep it together. And hopefully can approach lessons this winter with the aim of perhaps adding distance and improving scoring chances.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a big fan of Bob Rotella's books, and this particular one is for me personally, the best golf book ever. Especially for us amateur hackers where the mental game affects our scoring as much as it does. I have the audiobook version of this too.

Highly recommended to everyone. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I also read that book last year. I took a few things away from it. Firstly, I'm a lot less angry on the course now. I used to get furious at bad shots and bad holes, but the book made me realise a lot more how futile that is. You can only affect the next shot. It also made my putting a lot better, because it helped get over that fear of knocking one past. Like a lot of people I used to have those days where I left everything short because I was afraid of knocking it too far, and perhaps the greens weren't as quick that day - but you can't hole anything if it's short. The book helped me get the feeling that knocking a ball three or four foot past the hole isn't the worst thing in the world and is nothing to be afraid of - indeed it's far better than leaving it short because you at least gave it a chance to drop. I definitely putt better now that I don't have that fear of knocking it past the hole.

As you say, the overall gist I think is to remove fear from your play. It's almost ironic but in order to achieve a good shot, I feel like you have to care less about the result of the shot, as this removes the fear of hitting a bad one.

I've started reading another book called Every Shot Must Have a Purpose - I'm only a couple of chapters in but finding it similar in talking about your headspace on the course, and being totally confident in the swing you're making.

D

Deleted member 25172

If the book is about controlling your anger I’m a few steps ahead. Like Orikuru I used to get real tantrums on the course, ruining not only my own game, but also possibly ruining the day for my playing partners.

I do still get upset over bad shots, but nowhere near what I used to. It does bubble up from time to time where I really have to fight the childish urge to throw a club, so if the book could help me take a few more steps in the right direction - even better.

Funnily enough, the fear of putting long is strong in me as well, making me a notorious short putter, and we’re not talking leaving it tap-in short, but a 10-12 footer beinf left at 4-6 feet short. So that’s another big’un to solve for me.

The book cannot come soon enough. :D

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Like the others here I think this book from Rotella is really good reading for anyone. It's easy to read and free of any psycho-babble. It's a few years since I read it so probably worth me revisiting it before the series season gets going again.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
The hardest thing is always putting the thinking into practice.

My advice is always little changes often rather than a massive change at once.

Embed the first change then make the next etc, you are more likely to stick with it.

I really enjoyed using this book, certainly helped me develop my Golf thinking and keep my scores down.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
If the book is about controlling your anger I’m a few steps ahead. Like Orikuru I used to get real tantrums on the course, ruining not only my own game, but also possibly ruining the day for my playing partners.

I do still get upset over bad shots, but nowhere near what I used to. It does bubble up from time to time where I really have to fight the childish urge to throw a club, so if the book could help me take a few more steps in the right direction - even better.

Funnily enough, the fear of putting long is strong in me as well, making me a notorious short putter, and we’re not talking leaving it tap-in short, but a 10-12 footer beinf left at 4-6 feet short. So that’s another big’un to solve for me.

Also look for his book called the 'The 15th Club' all about the mental side of the game. I'll see if I've still got it if I have I'll post it as I'm never going to read it :p

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Couldn't you have put this thread up BEFORE I sold my copy on here for a mere 5 quid? ???

Tell BIM it was not to buy the book but just a hire charge to read it while walking round next Friday!

You'll then see why he needs a psychology book ??

D

Deleted member 25172

Also look for his book called the 'The 15th Club' all about the mental side of the game. I'll see if I've still got it if I have I'll post it as I'm never going to read it :p

I’ll get you a pint or 2 at H4H for it. :D

D

Deleted member 25172

No, you only ruined the day for others by winning so many GM Forum meets with consistently high stableford point totals. :ROFLMAO:

It’s actually just one, only that it was over several days... :p

Didn’t hear anyone moaning about my 16 points around Royal Cinque Ports at the Kent meet! ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

I think he says plenty that we already know, like everybody hits bad shots etc, but he has a knack of putting it in a way that stays with you, somehow. I definitely recall him talking about the putting as well and how you shouldn't be scared of knocking one way past, at worst it's one more shot gone, but you probably more than make that up elsewhere in not leaving them short on every green. Plus if you've gone past the hole you have more of an idea of the break on the way back.