Dr Bob Rotella - Golf is Not a Game of Perfect

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf is not a game of Perfect is a decent book. Deserves its success, and he did bring a new idea/perpective to the world of golf psychology. But in truth, it could have been explained and written in about two pages. Brevity of explanation doesnt undermine its merit, but I suppose than doesnt make a money making book, so he had to spin it out. The subsequent books were really unnecessary to all but Bob's bank account, and just a rehash of the same thing, told over and over and over and over and over and over, but adding nothing to what is in GINAGOP.

D

Deleted member 25172

16 points was probably a par score at RCP in those weather conditions.

Haha! It was tough, as you may remember, but not quite.

With my progress after Sunningdale now I don’t think anyone will have to worry about me winning any more coming meets now. At least I hope so. :)

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haha! It was tough, as you may remember, but not quite.

I played some half decent golf at Royal Cinque Ports that day (if it was the November 2018 trip). I can't remember exactly, but I think it was about 27/28/29 points. Was quite happy with that in those conditions. I think I won a few quid that day so it paid for my beers that night anyway. But I still have nightmares about the conditions the next day at Royal St Georges. Or for the 7 holes of it that I saw, anyway.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I played some half decent golf at Royal Cinque Ports that day (if it was the November 2018 trip). I can't remember exactly, but I think it was about 27/28/29 points. Was quite happy with that in those conditions. I think I won a few quid that day so it paid for my beers that night anyway. But I still have nightmares about the conditions the next day at Royal St Georges. Or for the 7 holes of it that I saw, anyway.

The worst of it was stumbling into the halfway hut to be told by the cheery chappie serving that the seven days before had been fantastic, bone dry & sunshine, and the seven days after were supposed to be even better. How he didn't wear the Bovril I don't know. :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The Rotella teaching ethos is interesting and does supply some interesting and I guess common sense nuggets of advice. I've read a few of the books and for a time they do make a difference for a short time before I revert to my golfing type which I am coming to the conclusion isn't wired to think well around the course

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great book, need to go back occasionally and refresh myself! Need to work at the principles I’ve found (like anything I suppose) but well worth it.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Love this book. I also like his book 'Putting out of your mind'.

Similar books I recommend are 'Zen Golf' and 'Be A Player'.

I've seriously got into the psychological side of golf (and life in general) in the last couple of years and it's really helped my game come on leaps and bounds.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Golf is not a game of Perfect is a decent book. Deserves its success, and he did bring a new idea/perpective to the world of golf psychology. But in truth, it could have been explained and written in about two pages. Brevity of explanation doesnt undermine its merit, but I suppose than doesnt make a money making book, so he had to spin it out. The subsequent books were really unnecessary to all but Bob's bank account, and just a rehash of the same thing, told over and over and over and over and over and over, but adding nothing to what is in GINAGOP.
Absolutely this!

Great book and works because it stresses the same things in several different-ish ways. So perhaps spinning it out/repeating the message is actually good! but no need to buy 'more of the same'! Some excellent drills.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Love this book. I also like his book 'Putting out of your mind'.

Similar books I recommend are 'Zen Golf' and 'Be A Player'.

I've seriously got into the psychological side of golf (and life in general) in the last couple of years and it's really helped my game come on leaps and bounds.
It's an area I've dabbled with but want to delve deeper. Definitely found it helped (short term) but I tend to drift back into old thought patterns

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, tried it out tonight and definitely improved my game, drifted off it a wee bit in the middle of my round but got it back, it’s something I’m going to try and work on ?