Competition formats

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Play it like stableford matchplay. The course always scores 2 points.

One of the elements of the bogey/vs par format is that a bad hole is just a bad hole, a net bogey is not better than a cricket score, so it caps the effects of disaster holes compared to stableford or medial
Isn't that the same as Stableford though? A blob is a blob whether it's a 6 or a 9?

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Play it like stableford matchplay. The course always scores 2 points.

One of the elements of the bogey/vs par format is that a bad hole is just a bad hole, a net bogey is not better than a cricket score, so it caps the effects of disaster holes compared to stableford or medial

I thought this as well until I played a Bogey comp yesterday. WHS doesn't seem to accept a bogey score so all the times I picked up once it was a hole lost when down as a net double bogey. I ended up level in the competition and 4 over my handicap on WHS.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I thought this as well until I played a Bogey comp yesterday. WHS doesn't seem to accept a bogey score so all the times I picked up once it was a hole lost when down as a net double bogey. I ended up level in the competition and 4 over my handicap on WHS.

Good point. The Committee should anticipate that and either exempt the round or have a fix in place.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A string competition used to be popular with the Ladies.
You had a length of string according to your handicap [usually a foot a shot] and you could move your ball to any length of string then cut it until you were left with nothing.
It could be a 6" putt or a couple of yards that would take you out of a bunker.
Lost it's mojo since we went metric. :love:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

This happened to me earlier in season too.
Picked up when I was gonna score bogey
Computer gives you a Nett double bogey

Only way I see round it, is to hole out and put a gross score in for each hole....

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
We will have a flag, and a bogey/par comp (are these two names for the same thing?) in the winter when we're not playing as many qualifiers.
My Dad played a stableford this week (with the Seniors) where you got a few extra bonus points according to how old you were - older players getting a bigger head start.

IanMcC

Visit site
A Bowmaker golf tournament is one that uses 4-person teams, and on each hole two or more of the team members' scores are combined to create the team's score. Scoring is typically based on Stableford points in a bowmaker.
The term "bowmaker" for this type of event is more likely to be encountered in the U.K. That name is rarely used in the United States, but the format is a familiar one. Among the similar formats are 1-2-3 Best Ball, Fourball Alliance, Arizona Shuffle and Low Ball/High Ball. All combine two or more team members' scores to form the team's score on each hole.
The thing that typically distinguishes the bowmaker tournament from those other formats is the use of Stableford points.

Example of Bowmaker Scoring
One of the most common ways of playing a bowmaker is to combine the two best scores among the four golfers on the team on each hole. The two low balls count for the team score, in other words.
If the best scores among the four team members on Hole 1 are a 3 and 5, then the team score is 8 on that hole. Simple.
Just remember that bowmakers often use Stableford scoring. If the one you're playing does that, you'll be combining Stableford points, not stroke totals, on each hole.

Variations Involve the Number of Scores Used Per Hole
In addition to the simplest versions (two-low-balls-per-hole scoring), there are multiple variations in the number of scores per hole that count and that can be used in a bowmaker.
One common variation is this:
  • On Holes 1-6, only the one low score on the team counts;
  • On Holes 7-12, the two best balls are combined for the team score;
  • On Holes 13-18, the three low scores are combined on each hole.
Another variation is to use the one low ball on par-3 holes, two low balls on par-4 holes and three low balls on par-5 holes.

But a bowmaker always boils down to this: It's a 4-person-team event in which members of the team are playing their own golf balls throughout, and a specified number of the team members' scores count on each hole.
What Handicap Allowance would you use in a comp such as this? I know that there is no formal recommendation for Bowmaker Scoring. 85% would seem the clearest option, I suppose.

badgergm

Visit site
This happened to me earlier in season too.
Picked up when I was gonna score bogey
Computer gives you a Nett double bogey

Only way I see round it, is to hole out and put a gross score in for each hole....
They didnt think about it properly so far as I can see.
The rules of handicap still give guidance to pick up when lost hole (for pace of play) which is plain wrong.
Also affecs the way you play of course - do you go all out for the half for the competition, or secure the bogey for handicap?
Bottom line is that WHS not really compatible with bogey - counting net bogey would be a big advantage handicap wise for most people.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
They didnt think about it properly so far as I can see.
The rules of handicap still give guidance to pick up when lost hole (for pace of play) which is plain wrong.
Also affecs the way you play of course - do you go all out for the half for the competition, or secure the bogey for handicap?
Bottom line is that WHS not really compatible with bogey - counting net bogey would be a big advantage handicap wise for most people.

Our fun comps the other day were all down as non-qualifiers, so I assume that means that they don’t count for WHS? In fact, we didn’t input scores electronically at all - just handed in cards to the comp sec at the end and he checked and announced winner at the end of the Capt’s Day. I’d have always assumed match play and non-standard formats would be non-qualifying for handicap. If you lose 10&8 you’ve only played half a round, so shouldn’t count?