DQ'd from Competition under rule 3.3b

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Rules of Golf - Committee Procedures - Section 5A - 5 - When Scorecard has been Returned
Requesting Players to Provide Other Information on Scorecards
The Committee may request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee's responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request. For example, the Committee may ask players to:
  • Total the scores or, in a Four-Ball competition, determine the score that counts for the side.
  • Enter the points scored for each hole on the scorecard in Stableford.
  • Enter whether the hole was won, lost or tied in Par/Bogey.
  • Enter specific details on the scorecard such as name, date and name of the competition.
Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but a player should not be penalized under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The uncomfortable truth is that you should know whose card it is because the Committee (you?) had issued it with the player's name on it.

Very interestingly up for discussion at today competitions committee was ' the poor state of cards and what we should expect of players'

The manager pointed out this in the rule book

The Committee may request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee’s responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.

For example, the Committee may ask players to:

Enter specific details on the scorecard such as name, date and name of the competition.

Edited -- just seen Woofers post

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
When I walk into the pro shop to register for a competition, the staff print off a small label with all the relevant information, stick it on a card & had it to me. until I read this thread I thought that would be the norm, apparently it's not.

D

Deleted member 15344

When I walk into the pro shop to register for a competition, the staff print off a small label with all the relevant information, stick it on a card & had it to me. until I read this thread I thought that would be the norm, apparently it's not.

That’s what we do - labels are created from the start sheet on IG and then just added to the card

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never had that at any club I've been a member of. It certainly makes life easier but it's not the norm in my own experience.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never had that at any club I've been a member of. It certainly makes life easier but it's not the norm in my own experience.
Excellent method imo. A word (sentence) of warning though. It is/may be more convenient, but it's still the player's responsibility to check its accuracy (recent results may affect it). If it's not accurate, then a DQ is possible!

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I see you've never heard of 9 hole courses, or courses that don't have pros, or courses that are entirely run by volunteers?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I see you've never heard of 9 hole courses, or courses that don't have pros, or courses that are entirely run by volunteers?

I have heard of them; I have played a few 9 hole courses, and a 12 hole course, all of which had pros, but I wouldn't consider them to be the norm.

Thanks for the condescending reply. (y) :rolleyes:

tobybarker

Visit site
Rules of Golf - Committee Procedures - Section 5A - 5 - When Scorecard has been Returned
The Committee may request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee's responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request. For example, the Committee may ask players to:
  • Total the scores or, in a Four-Ball competition, determine the score that counts for the side.
  • Enter the points scored for each hole on the scorecard in Stableford.
  • Enter whether the hole was won, lost or tied in Par/Bogey.
  • Enter specific details on the scorecard such as name, date and name of the competition.
Similarly, the Committee may request that players assist the Committee by entering their scores into a computer system at the end of the round, but a player should not be penalized under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with this request or makes a mistake in doing so. But the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction, for example in a Code of Conduct, for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request.
Silly to have a 'rule' that MAY be applied and which players don't have to follow....

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Silly to have a 'rule' that MAY be applied and which players don't have to follow....
Wrong approach! t's a Rule that defines what Can and Can't be done. The fact that it states 'may be' is irrelevant to it being a rule. It merely sets the bounds of what is allowed/not allowed in the specific circumstances.

tobybarker

Visit site
My point was, why put it in the rules? If something may or may not be done, and for which there is no sanction, then it's not a rule by any normal definition. At least not in my mind

tobybarker

Visit site
It does include 'must'.
"The Committee MAY request that players assist the Committee by completing scorecard related tasks that are the Committee's responsibility. The Committee must not apply a penalty to a player under the Rules of Golf if he or she fails to comply with these requests or makes a mistake in doing so, but the Committee may provide a disciplinary sanction for a player who fails repeatedly to comply with such a request"
It does include 'must'.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the problems with that diagram in the Rules book is it is what was produced for the 2019 rules changes which obviously is pre WHS.

To avoid the uncertainty we have a specimen new card (which includes H.I, CH and PH) posted on our competitions notice board detailing everything that needs to be done.
For some reason our new ‘WHS compliant’ cards include boxes for Handicap Index; Course Index, and Playing Handicap. Yes indeed. And it looks like we have just taken delivery of thousands of the things ?. Maybe the ones I’ve seen were a first small ‘pilot’ batch and its been corrected for the new main delivery just in.

Last edited:

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
For some reason our new ‘WHS compliant’ cards include boxes for Handicap Index; Course Index, and Playing Handicap. Yes indeed. And it looks like we have just taken delivery of thousands of the things ?. Maybe the ones I’ve seen were a first small ‘pilot’ batch and its been corrected for the new main delivery just in.
What's your issue with that? We've just ordered the same so that folks understand what is being asked for.