DQ but hcap cut

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A PP played in the captains day on Saturday. He was second with 41 points and was buzzing. However, the guy that marked his card put down 3 for 3 on the par 4 13th. It should of been 4 for 3. His points score was right but his shot total was not. He counted his points up they were correct. He signed the card which was wrong and was Disqualified.
He has been on our whattsapp group this morning and is gutted because not only was he DQ. But they have cut him a shot.
Whats the ruling or thought process behind a DQ, but still counting his score as a Qualifying score towards his Hcap.
Cheers me dears.?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
the DQ applies to the comp only, the score can still count for handicap since they’re two separate things

I can guess he’d be gutted for his error that got him bounced from the comp, but at least from a handicap perspective he has the cut as a kinda consolation

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Cheers boys, am playing with him tomorrow so he will get some ribbing. Not helped him because his DQ pushed his mate up to fourth and in the money ?

Deffo worth telling him to check his scores in future! My PP on saturday made a right mess of my card, scores all over the place and it really isnt helpful when you've marked their card perfectly - but never assume its right!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Deffo worth telling him to check his scores in future! My PP on saturday made a right mess of my card, scores all over the place and it really isnt helpful when you've makred their card perfectly - but never assume its right!
Agreed. The gross score is the only thing you need to check really, if your marker has done the maths wrong for the points it's irrelevant anyway isn't it? I guess this guy will know that for next time.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I won a competition early in my second year of playing and was DQ'd.

I hadnt paid my GUI fees. Tbh I was a bit wet behind the ears and assumed these fees were my membership fees.

Live and learn. Got a healthy cut too as I recall.

Springveldt

Visit site
Did he adjust his score when entering it into whatever system you use? If not, doesn't he have an invalid score on his handicap record as well?

I always enter my score on the app before submitting my card to make sure they match. If he had done that the app would have given him a different points total.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Did he adjust his score when entering it into whatever system you use? If not, doesn't he have an invalid score on his handicap record as well?

I always enter my score on the app before submitting my card to make sure they match. If he had done that the app would have given him a different points total.

Yes the app/computer input has saved me in a stableford comp before also

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers boys, am playing with him tomorrow so he will get some ribbing. Not helped him because his DQ pushed his mate up to fourth and in the money ?

From experience this and submitting an unsigned card are mistakes you’ll only make once! Rib him hard too just to make him feel better ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Alas happened to me a couple of times, forgot to sign and stuck it in the box only to remember too late. Lesson learnt now though.

Tashyboy

Visit site

What I don’t understand until
I speak to him. We use IG golf. So if he entered his score on that which he has to. One contradicted the other so do you go by card or IG golf. Come what at he signed for a wrong card

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the player wants to check the rule for himself it is in the Guidance to the Rules of Handicapping Appendix J

Disqualified Scores for Handicapping

3.3(b)
Score entered on card on a hole is lower than actual score
Accept adjusted score unless breach premeditated

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A PP played in the captains day on Saturday. He was second with 41 points and was buzzing. However, the guy that marked his card put down 3 for 3 on the par 4 13th. It should of been 4 for 3. His points score was right but his shot total was not. He counted his points up they were correct. He signed the card which was wrong and was Disqualified.
He has been on our whattsapp group this morning and is gutted because not only was he DQ. But they have cut him a shot.
Whats the ruling or thought process behind a DQ, but still counting his score as a Qualifying score towards his Hcap.
Cheers me dears.?

On a score card you need to record 18 gross scores. The points calculation for a stableford can be absent or incorrect, neither matters, as can the totals for each 9 or the 18. The DQ is therefore correct and the Committee has no discretion once submitted. The handicap calculation is separate and applies, as it also does for medal scores with a blob, i.e. DQ/NRs.

Tashyboy

Visit site
On a score card you need to record 18 gross scores. The points calculation for a stableford can be absent or incorrect, neither matters, as can the totals for each 9 or the 18. The DQ is therefore correct and the Committee has no discretion once submitted. The handicap calculation is separate and applies, as it also does for medal scores with a blob, i.e. DQ/NRs.
And this I did not know, esp Only putting his gross score down but not his stableford score ?

Tashyboy

Visit site

Choosing my words carefully, he is ex senior management yet is the most disorganised man I know. I think the reason his points total tallied was because he was put down for a 3 for 3 when it should of been a 4 for 3. His gross score for the hole ( 13 ) was wrong.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Choosing my words carefully, he is ex senior management yet is the most disorganised man I know. I think the reason his points total tallied was because he was put down for a 3 for 3 when it should of been a 4 for 3. His gross score for the hole ( 13 ) was wrong.

I have a single figure mate who once lost out on winning a major comp because he only ever checked his Stableford points, luckily for him it was the other way round too high a score in the gross column or else he would have been DQd.

Swango1980

Visit site
It is interesting why he didn't pick up the error when inputting his score on the computer. I'm assuming on the card he added up his points and got the correct total (matched it with his marker), and therefore did not spot the 3 for 3 rather than the 4 for 3 on the card. However, if he then put this in the computer, presumably he would have entered all the gross scores from his card. That would mean he would have entered the 3 rather than 4, and the computer would have given him 4 points rather than 3. So, the computer would give him a total of 1 point higher than he thought he had. That would normally raise an alarm bell, at which point you would go back and double / triple check.

I always thing that, if players confirm their final scores (from the physical cards), even if they do not run through every single gross score for the 18 holes, inputting the scores onto the computer can offer an extra bit of a safety net (although not always, if the player does not question a different total that did not match what they agreed with their marker)