Does your club require a minimum number of Acceptable Scores before winning prizes in a Competition.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Are new members cleaning up?

These 'boards' seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

Both clubs I have been a member of as an adult only have a board for Club Champion and Captain.

Trophies are played for every week to get your name on but its not your name up in bright lights for winning, rightly so in my opinion as people put too much importance on it which is half the problem. Prize money is the other.

Do clubs just not have boards for junior's, women's and gent's champions.
Those are the only ones that count as they are played off scratch.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would imagine that in most clubs there are comps which are considered ’prestigious’ or ‘important’ for the club and its members beyond the club champs and others scratch comps. Indeed at my place winning our open handicap singles competition is the most prestigious comp other than club champ to win. Every club comp has an importance to the winner and I think it is nice for that to be reflected and recognised on a board of some form or another.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would imagine that in most clubs there are comps which are considered ’prestigious’ or ‘important’ for the club and its members beyond the club champs and others scratch comps. Indeed at my place winning our open handicap singles competition is the most prestigious comp other than club champ to win. Every club comp has an importance to the winner and I think it is nice for that to be reflected and recognised on a board of some form or another.
That's surprising.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I walk into some clubs and the walls are plastered in boards, they are everywhere. The shame of that is it becomes white noise for most people, me definitely included. I'm with you, less is more.

Springveldt

Visit site
I walk into some clubs and the walls are plastered in boards, they are everywhere. The shame of that is it becomes white noise for most people, me definitely included. I'm with you, less is more.
I take it you have been in our restaurant then? :LOL:

My club has loads of board competitions through the season. I think they are running out of space to put new names up.

AliMc

Visit site
Not wanting to go off topic, but at the end of todays round whilst sat at the 19th three of the lads we’re talking about the opens they have been in recently. They were talking about two lads from another club that have won 3 comps as a pairs. They were basically questioning there handicaps. apparently they were not the only ones when they were at the courses. The point was raised re how many Q scores they had to qualify. Apparently it was the bare minimum hence there hcap was questionable. Listening to the lads they were over the moon re the courses they had played and the cost paid. But folk turning up with dodgy questionable chaps went down like a fart in a spacesuit.
It's a shame that it's come to this but for me personally I don't bother entering many opens now, off my hi of 4.8, which I believe is pretty accurate, I've no chance of competing, if I get the chance at a top notch course I may enter but it's treated as a day out at a good course with hopefully good company and nothing else

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A ltof people play golf in a format that is incompatible with putting in cards like matchplay.

I virtually never put in general play cards and I play quite a bit of golf but when I'm playing with my mates I have no interest in a card and virtually never put in general play scores.
Absolutely I could but it would be a bit of a pain, fortunately our club doesn't have such a restriction. Equally we really don't seem to need it, winning scores don't appear to have changed.

Though I can't speak for matchplay where we don't know.
Like some others the only names to go up on a board are the club captains and the champions which are scratch competitions.
I'm not convinced that filling the walls with mahogany displaying the names of the winners of the rabbits shield would enhance the clubhouse.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I take it you have been in our restaurant then? :LOL:

My club has loads of board competitions through the season. I think they are running out of space to put new names up.
Yup, it's depressing when you go in there. All dark wood, very old school. Does anyone stop and read them, apart from anyone with their name up there?

Perhaps they will need to retire some of the boards to enable them to expand the key ones?

NearHull

Visit site
Thanks to everyone who has commented to date. I have also searched t’internet with a similar question. The results seem to align with the forum comments that it is now quite common to have a set number of returned scores restrictions in place for some or all competitions.
We meet on Tuesday to discuss.

Springveldt

Visit site
Yup, it's depressing when you go in there. All dark wood, very old school. Does anyone stop and read them, apart from anyone with their name up there?

Perhaps they will need to retire some of the boards to enable them to expand the key ones?
I'll often read the Dunford Bowl 2016 one. :)

Other than that the only one I paid attention to was the Club Champion one. I'll never win it but was curious to see who the good golfers were.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll often read the Dunford Bowl 2016 one. :)

Other than that the only one I paid attention to was the Club Champion one. I'll never win it but was curious to see who the good golfers were.
The reality is, that is the only one that people will read. They may scan the others but that is to get to the Club Champion board. It's the only one I ever might look at in any club. Always interesting to see a name that went on to better things or see a dominant name (I am sure I saw a guy from Blyth won his 18th club championship this year :oops:)

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, I won our Captain's Day this year, which I am very proud of seeing as the captain is our very own @2blue, and I can't wait to see my name on the board, although I may have a bit of a wait. They haven't been updated since 2018!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Well, I won our Captain's Day this year, which I am very proud of seeing as the captain is our very own @2blue, and I can't wait to see my name on the board, although I may have a bit of a wait. They haven't been updated since 2018!
Ours are on A4 sheets of paper in a picture frame. Rammel is the strongest word I will use without getting an infraction ?

RRidges

Visit site
I do get involved, can you explain why you think I may be too involved - genuine question as I am aware that I have a tendency to over do it.
Note I stated 'may be' so it's only a possibility, but...
If you go looking for scores that are strange, it's almost certain that you will find quite a few, as that's the nature of the game. Most of those will just be normal good/bad days that many/most golfers have. Following up checks on such cases seem a lot of potential work that will likely simply just show those who are inconsistent.
What's needed, if you really suspect banditry is active, is some sort of method - a report is probably a good one - that highlights potential candidates to check, or at least limits the list. Or you could simply check any 'swindles' for those players that are potential bandits, as they'll likely be involved in them. Unless you are absolutely dedicated to the role, constantly monitoring players results for 'strange' results is likely far more work than is warranted imo.

NearHull

Visit site
Note I stated 'may be' so it's only a possibility, but...
If you go looking for scores that are strange, it's almost certain that you will find quite a few, as that's the nature of the game. Most of those will just be normal good/bad days that many/most golfers have. Following up checks on such cases seem a lot of potential work that will likely simply just show those who are inconsistent.
What's needed, if you really suspect banditry is active, is some sort of method - a report is probably a good one - that highlights potential candidates to check, or at least limits the list. Or you could simply check any 'swindles' for those players that are potential bandits, as they'll likely be involved in them. Unless you are absolutely dedicated to the role, constantly monitoring players results for 'strange' results is likely far more work than is warranted imo.
Thank you for your reasoning. We are actively monitoring the team competitions, each Sunday there is a 4BB Medal with occasional AMAMs thrown in. The information is readily available on ClubV1, so it’s not complex but it is ‘constant’. I do play in the two weekly club Roll Ups so I’m observing but not collecting exceptional scores.

RRidges

Visit site
Thank you for your reasoning. We are actively monitoring the team competitions, each Sunday there is a 4BB Medal with occasional AMAMs thrown in. The information is readily available on ClubV1, so it’s not complex but it is ‘constant’. I do play in the two weekly club Roll Ups so I’m observing but not collecting exceptional scores.
That make it a bit simpler, so perhaps not as bad as I might have thought.
It's important to remember though that Golf is a pastime - with potential for individual traits to be exposed - as opposed to a means to make 'profit' (whether monetary or reputational), that some folk (e.g. 'the short game wizard' in the old Trilby Tour days, seem to have used it for. Those guys will stick out like sore thumbs, so it doesn't need intense, constant monitoring. Jus a little 'common sense'. I myself was a candidate for such analysis for a year or so - but only because I was doing a hour's practice a day and having lessons. I legitimately dropped 7 shots in that time, but all my swindle scores were reported as GPs, so deemed not suspicious.
What I'm suggesting is 'Just monitor it, but don't turn it into an obsession'.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a shame that it's come to this but for me personally I don't bother entering many opens now, off my hi of 4.8, which I believe is pretty accurate, I've no chance of competing, if I get the chance at a top notch course I may enter but it's treated as a day out at a good course with hopefully good company and nothing else
I'm of a similar mind. I enter opens at courses I want to play for a great price.
In 20 years or so of playing opens (~120) I have placed three times. Best was 3rd place.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We got an email yesterday giving us notification of criteria for entering our club champs, first weekend in September. To enter we must have six competition rounds in previous 12months prior to first day of the two day comp, general play cards that have been submitted do not count. There are plenty of comps in the next four weeks…though best go check my own record…?

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We got an email yesterday giving us notification of criteria for entering our club champs, first weekend in September. To enter we must have six competition rounds in previous 12months, general play and any other cards that have been submitted do not count.
Surely the club champs is a scratch event or no shots if matchplay. Does that not make handicap record irrelevant?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely the club champs is a scratch event or no shots if matchplay. Does that not make handicap record irrelevant?
Our Club Championship is a combined competition, Club Champion (scratch) and Fletcher Bowl (handicap) - with cut (top 60 gross plus ties) after Round 1.