Does Waterproof Golf Actually Exist?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have those trousers but for ladies. Only downside is no side pockets but then I put stuff in my jacket pockets.

Waterproof trousers don't usually have pockets for hiking, as the pockets are a weak point for letting water in, and as you say hiker (or golfers) use their jackets anyway

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
While I hate the price increase for "golf" clothing, I still find sometimes with non-golf clothing it can be a bit restrictive and not very stretchy to actually make a golf swing in. I have a decent waterproof Regatta jacket at home that didn't cost me very much, with a hood. Thought it would be great for golf but when I tried it it was really tight around the upper arms on my backswing so it was no good.

In my first post, I did say to try them out with a swing first to make sure it isn't too restrictive

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would still advice not buying golf wet weather gear and actually get some proper waterproof gear.

https://www.millets.co.uk/15898104/berghaus-mens-maitland-gore-tex-jacket-15898104

Berghaus Gortex jacket for £99

Berghaus is one of the most well respected brands in hiking, using Goretex this will probably keep you as dry as it is possible. Doesn't look too bulky to shouldn't affect your swing

Same brand trousers

https://www.millets.co.uk/15942134/berghaus-men-s-maitland-gore-tex-overtrousers-15942134

£69

I doubt you will find any golf brand that will offer you anywhere near as much protection and probably not for £168.

If you look at other shops and websites for hiking you will find really quality kit for less than this. This is going for one of the premium brands.

Golf clothing is usually a total rip off for what it is
But..but...it's got a hood!!!;):whistle:

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
embrace it normally helps me, I'll be dry 5hrs after I start then go again 7 days later. #MindOverMatter

gear does help and it will keep you as dry as you can be.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No it doesn't......

I've never found a set of "waterproof's" that are actually 100% waterproof. I include Galvin Green in that. They are my current rain gear, they have been washed and retreated as per manufacturers instructions, they work fine in light rain but they do not keep me dry in heavy rain, whatsoever. I will always be wet through in the top of the arms, the back, and the thighs, as I was yesterday - the rain hitting us hard for the last 3 holes. That's only the third time I've worn them since I retreated them in September. I've pretty much given up on finding a company that states 100% waterproof, and actually lives up to it. Over the years I've tried Proquip, Sunderland, Under Armour and GG, all failed me.

Part of the issue may be that I usually carry, which means the bag is always over the shoulders and across the back. As I carry, I don't usually take a brolly, relying on the hat and the waterproofs to do their job..... :(:censored::cry:
I'd agree about GG, mine are 5 years old now and have started to let in on the arms in the jacket and in the trousers the fly area and pockets on the pac-lite. Mine have reg been treated and tumble dried. On a position my Ecco Gortex have never let in, but I do clean and treat them regularly with the care kit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How often are people washing their jackets? I don't put my jacket in my bag unless it is going to rain so it is not getting scrunched, dirty etc just for the sake of it. Whatever happens, when I get home, I take it out of my bag and hang it up. It rarely gets dirty and the odd mud splatter just gets wiped off. I rarely give my waterproofs a full wash in a machine.

Are people over washing these items?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
licensed-image

sunshine

Visit site
What’s so dry about bones?
I think people sometimes need to manage their expectations. If you’re going to play for 4 hours in the pouring rain you’ll get a bit wet. At the same time, this isn’t scuba diving, it’s just a few drops of water.

Ian_George

Visit site
I would still advice not buying golf wet weather gear and actually get some proper waterproof gear.

https://www.millets.co.uk/15898104/berghaus-mens-maitland-gore-tex-jacket-15898104

Berghaus Gortex jacket for £99

Berghaus is one of the most well respected brands in hiking, using Goretex this will probably keep you as dry as it is possible. Doesn't look too bulky to shouldn't affect your swing

Same brand trousers

https://www.millets.co.uk/15942134/berghaus-men-s-maitland-gore-tex-overtrousers-15942134

£69

I doubt you will find any golf brand that will offer you anywhere near as much protection and probably not for £168.

If you look at other shops and websites for hiking you will find really quality kit for less than this. This is going for one of the premium brands.

Golf clothing is usually a total rip off for what it is
That jacket doesn't look like it would be very good for Golf! Golf jackets need to be fairly close fitting to allow a decent swing - but not so close that swing is restricted! Not the same for Trou, but length is important - cut to protect foot and eye holes of shoe, but not so long that spikes damage them.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
hmmm a mixed set of opinions. I dont feel able to justify 280 notes for a jacket with gore tex on the label.

Can you tell me which proofer to use? I had some nikwax that I washed my golf over trousers in last time and it failed the test.....
This is the reproofer: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011AG4PU8/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3Q5PX9CCOCHVG&psc=1

It could be that you used the wash. The wash is called Tech-Wash and the reproofer is called Wash-In, so it can be quite confusing to know which is which

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
What’s so dry about bones?
I think people sometimes need to manage their expectations. If you’re going to play for 4 hours in the pouring rain you’ll get a bit wet. At the same time, this isn’t scuba diving, it’s just a few drops of water.
Yep.
The best waterproof material is your skin. Water doesn't (usually) get through that!
Naked golf in the rain - now there's an idea for a TV programme!

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a 20 year old Gortex climbing/hiking jacket that has now been relegated to dog walking wear which is just starting to let water in, probably time for it to gets its first re-proofing. I've also sat high up on Snowdon for 9 hours in torrential rain when the weather closed in as we reached the top of a climb and made the descent too dangerous, fully kitted out in Gortex and not a drop got through.

So yep, Gortex works and is my choice for the golf course as well - hoodless Galvin Green jacket and Gortex bucket hat.

The only caveat is the oft quoted breathability, that only works when its not raining - the theory being that water vapour can pass through but water droplets can't, water vapour doesn't pass through when its nigh on 100% humidity on the outside of the material.