Does Waterproof Golf Actually Exist?

tobybarker

Visit site
Today, waterproof shoes, waterproof jacket and matching over-trousers, rain-gloves, umbrella.

Soaked to the skin within 20 minutes.

Obviously the jacket and pants are going back to Druids for a refund. The Shoes, possibly getting in at lace holes....gloves are the chamois-type....probably designed to work despite being soaked (which they do)

But is it actually possible to be dry for 4 hours in the rain? I'll pay what it takes, just tell me what works - PLEASE!

Jason.H

Visit site
I played in the rain in a comp last week. I have Galvin Green waterproofs and was bone dry and comfortable. Were the Druids items advertised as waterproof?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not just the clothing, it's what you do the rest of the time as well.
Taking your glove off ASAP to keep it dry, staying under your brolly as long as possible, keeping the ball on the short grass, having dry towels to hand....
All these things, and more, matter just as much as having the latest GG gear.
It's possible to stay reasonably dry but it's hard work and can take time....

Ian_George

Visit site
Goretex will keep you dry if designed and worn properly. GG is definitely the leader for this but other companies products work as well. Rain Gloves will allow proper proper grip, but might feel wet and cold. Sealskin socks will keep feet dry, even if shoes let water in. Shoes are the hardest to keep water out of imo - even if waterproof, simply because there's a bleedin' great hole that you put you foot into! Staying on the short grass helps a lot too!

tobybarker

Visit site
I played in the rain in a comp last week. I have Galvin Green waterproofs and was bone dry and comfortable. Were the Druids items advertised as waterproof?
Yes they were advertised as water proof.

I have had Calvin green but they, too, lost their proofness over the year.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Goretex is no more waterproof than many other brands.

Goretex big thing is it is breathable, so it'll keep you dry but you won't be roasting alive.

Do a lot of hiking, and unfortunately done quite a bit in torrential rain.

Water will get in anywhere given the chance, for socks and shoes l, water will often get under the trousers and over the top of the shoes, from wet grass.

Gaiters will help with this if you really want to stay dry, or getting golf boots and staying out of long grass.

Most "waterproof" clothing will be waterproof material but likely that the seams are not. You can buy waterproofing wax to help.

For clothing that will remain waterproof for a long time, you have to spend money. Golf is ridiculously expensive anyway.

I would recommend looking at a hiking shop, where waterproof is more important. Obviously make sure you can swing in them though

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've played in heavy rain these last 2 weekends.

Sealskinz socks (I've given up on shoes)
FJ waterproof trousers
Sunderland jacket
Sunderland Bucket Hat

I don't bother with an umbrella anymore

100% bone dry underneath

I use mizuno rain gloves for gripping and they work.

I had a Galvin Green jacket, still have it but it's a bit tight for golf, and 10yrs on it's still perfectly waterproof in even the heaviest of downpours.

It is possible, you just have to buy from reliable waterproof mfrs, ideally in sales ?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played in some horrible weather yesterday, came off dry as a bone. FJ Hydroknit jacket, Ping waterproof trousers and Skechers shoes.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've found shoes with the BOA lace system better but will still wear waterproof socks if its going to be persisting down.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Wash in the special detergent and reproof. They will be as good as new. Perfectly waterproof.

My GG waterproofs are approaching 10 years old. Still waterproof, they get washed with the reproofer every so often.

My winter shoes are about 3 years old. Dryjoy Tour. Fully cleaned, dubbined and sprayed every couple of rounds. Although the backs are wearing and this will be their last winter.

Stuff needs looking after properly.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Goretex is no more waterproof than many other brands.

Goretex big thing is it is breathable, so it'll keep you dry but you won't be roasting alive.

Do a lot of hiking, and unfortunately done quite a bit in torrential rain.

Water will get in anywhere given the chance, for socks and shoes l, water will often get under the trousers and over the top of the shoes, from wet grass.

Gaiters will help with this if you really want to stay dry, or getting golf boots and staying out of long grass.

Most "waterproof" clothing will be waterproof material but likely that the seams are not. You can buy waterproofing wax to help.

For clothing that will remain waterproof for a long time, you have to spend money. Golf is ridiculously expensive anyway.

I would recommend looking at a hiking shop, where waterproof is more important. Obviously make sure you can swing in them though
But watch out with hiking trousers. My hiking waterproof trousers are great at keeping water out, problem is they don’t have pockets or pocket ‘holes‘ to access my trouser pockets - thought I was being smart buying them to double up for golf use ?

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Another vote for generally wearing waterproofs with a goretex layer as the best you can get.

I have never owned GalvinGreen but I have Sunderland and Proquip jackets and trousers around the house that are as waterproof as the day they were bought (just no longer fashionable or sunbleached)

I have never owned in 40+ years of playing a pair of shoes that are truly waterproof and I have bought most makes under the sun. Probably the best were Hi Tech Dri Tech but sadly they are no longer made.

My big gripe within golf is that nobody makes a waterproof glove ( I am mean waterproof not some

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That was your mistake, you should have bought Galvin Green.
He did. You just have to reproof them, which is the same with all of those breathable waterproof fabrics. They retain their waterproofness almost forever if you do that. You will tear them or lose them or something first.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agreed

Or just wash in liquid soap.

Whatever you do do not wash in any sort of bio or normal detergent based washing powder or liquids it washes the waterproofing out.
Yes. I think what the regular detergents do also, is wash themselves into the pores of the fabric. Makes them less breathable, and water wicks through, so you have lost the waterproofness too. So wash with a detergent that cleans without residue, then the pores are open, and add the reproofer, which is water repellent. The combination of the two is the secret to these technical fabrics. You have to treat them right. You cant just throw them back in your bag repeatedly, mud and all.