Dry as was possible

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I played yesterday in very heavy rain and never really though about it. In fact at one point I looked around and thought "oh, it's still raining". It proved to me that bad weather is no obstacle to golf if the right clothes are worn.
For me this was, from top to bottom.
  • Galvin Green goretex hat
  • Sunice goretex jacket and trousers
  • Footjoy rain grip gloves
  • Waterproof socks courtesy of Aldi
  • Skechers GoGolf shoes
This, tied in with my champ golf grips (sky no longer produced), my Titleist StaDry bag and I kept myself and kit dry and never even thought about losing grip on the clubs.

Modern technology is indeed wonderful.

Last edited:

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I ditched the trolley and umbrella Last year in favour of the simple life of carrying and no Faffing around when it rains.

My gear is UA goretex hat. Galvin goretex suit and macwets

I played in conditions that were truly horrific and was Not touched by the wind or rain.

If I had to resort to brolly up, brolly down, brolly up, chase brolly which blew away, locate a place to stick brolly when taking my shot, brolly down and brolly up type shenanigans..

I would not bother leaving the house in the rain.

Agree on the tech front. It’s brilliant to cocoon yourself in a nice waterproof bubble and still have the freedom of movement to swing easy.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I used to love rain if I was playing a match. I had good waterproof clothes, and a pair of mac wets. This was back when they first came out.

I went out with the full expectation that I would get wet and I wasn't bothered by it. Playing partners would spend a lot of energy faffing and being distracted with umbrellas and trying to stay dry.

I won a lot of matches in the rain.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think I've said it before, but I've never really understood the umbrella brigade. Just too much to mess with. Rain clothes do the job for me. A light rain with no wind....then maybe an umbrella would be ok.....but in N Yorkshire the wind tends to blow.

Exactly. I play up on the Bolton moors and it is wild up there at times.

It is funny though watching middle aged men chasing their trolleys with umbrella attached. It’s like the Lancashire version of the America’s cup ?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As much as I dislike trying to cope with a brolly, I do like it when someone in the group has one. I need somewhere nice and dry to stand while I mark the card. Trying to read a soggy lump of paper mache at the end of the round is never fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only use an umbrella when I have my trolley and it's not incredibly windy. I find it quite nice to get a quick respite from the rain while you're walking along, and I'll have a dry towel up in the umbrella spokes just to dry my hand on (I don't really like wearing two gloves to play). I have a waterproof jacket, bucket hat and waterproof shoes as well, and use the FJ rain grip glove, and that all works fine.

I'd still rather not go out if I know it's going to rain for pretty much the whole round. That's no fun. If you get caught in a shower then so be it, and the equipment does its job.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I have all that gear, I still hate playing in the rain.

However, now that I've spent upwards of £500 on a jacket and trousers I have to play to justify it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Umbrella in trolley is good when it is raining but not windy. About once every two years I think.
I watched as the trolley of a friend of mine in the group in front was blown over as a result of his umbrella at the weekend. Also, if the rain is coming sideways I can't see the umbrella being much good anyway. However, given the number of umbrellas I saw up at the weekend, I guess I'm in the minority. ;)

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No such thing as bad golf weather, only bad dress sense.

Although if it’s a nice day with possible showers I may throw a Brolly on the bag for quick coverage, but I’d never consider it full time

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't need your head and shoulders dry to play golf - you do need to be able to grip the club - the rest is nice to have. Original post explains the nice to have stuff as well as the 'essential' rain gloves :)
For me to play good golf it's also essential for me to not be totally miserable and wishing I wasn't there, and having some respite under an umbrella really helps.

TigerBear

Visit site
I played yesterday in very heavy rain and never really though about it. In fact at one point I looked around and thought "oh, it's still raining". It proved to me that bad weather is no obstacle to golf if the right clothes are worn.
For me this was, from top to bottom.
  • Galvin Green goretex hat
  • Sunice goretex jacket and trousers
  • Footjoy rain grip gloves
  • Waterproof socks courtesy of Aldi
  • Skechers GoGolf shoes
This, tied in with my champ golf grips (sky no longer produced), my Titleist StaDry bag and I kept myself and kit dry and never even thought about losing grip on the clubs.

Modern technology is indeed wonderful.

At my course when it rains it's usually accompanied with gale force winds but GG waterproofs and brolly keeps me bone dry.

How do you find the footjoy rain gloves? My PP uses them and says they work by getting wet to give extra grip. But with wet hands do they not get very cold very quickly?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
At my course when it rains it's usually accompanied with gale force winds but GG waterproofs and brolly keeps me bone dry.

How do you find the footjoy rain gloves? My PP uses them and says they work by getting wet to give extra grip. But with wet hands do they not get very cold very quickly?
Yep - your hands will get cold using rain gloves