Does Waterproof Golf Actually Exist?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes. I think what the regular detergents do also, is wash themselves into the pores of the fabric. Makes them less breathable, and water wicks through, so you have lost the waterproofness too. So wash with a detergent that cleans without residue, then the pores are open, and add the reproofer, which is water repellent. The combination of the two is the secret to these technical fabrics. You have to treat them right. You cant just throw them back in your bag repeatedly, mud and all.
It's more important to remove and clean the washing machine dispenser conditioner tray first, and be sure to not add fabric softener to the wash. Fabric softener has wetting agents that will let the water in.
I use NikWax detergent ( as it's soap free) and their wash in proofer on most of my golf top layers.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's more important to remove and clean the washing machine dispenser conditioner tray first, and be sure to not add fabric softener to the wash. Fabric softener has wetting agents that will let the water in.
I use NikWax detergent ( as it's soap free) and their wash in proofer on most of my golf top layers.

NikWax Tech Wash is detergent free not soap free i.e just liquid soap.

• Removes dirt and detergent residue leaving water-repellence intact
  • Non-detergent and bio-degradable
  • Improves the performance of any fabric fleece or synthetic insulation

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I’ve got a hydroknit for golf that’s been great.

my old proquip jacket is at the caravan for walking the dog and it, along with my stromberg trousers get a reproofing wash every so often

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Don’t buy cheap tat is the first thing. Second is make sure whatever you buy is breathable, otherwise your be damp from the inside.

You don’t need Goretex. There are alternatives that are just as good. The Footjoy Hydro….. range is exceptional.

I’ve got a pair of Nike Shield winter shoes which have kept my feet dry. I also have a pair of waterproof socks that I wear with my normal golf shoes.

Using an umbrella and keeping a dry towel under it helps to wipe things down.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whatever you do don't go Cutter & Buck! I did that and they were utterly useless - returned them for a refund.

I've gone back to my Under Armour waterproof jacket (only switched away from it as I was looking for one with a hood for a while). It's not Gore-tex but it's always been superb to be honest. Do have a Galvin Green Gore-tex bucket hat now which is a good replacement for not having a hood. Gore-tex Boa Ecco shoes have been perfect as well. Usually have my trolley with the umbrella up as well so you only nip out of it to hit your ball basically.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or use fabric conditioner

fabric conditioner is not a cleaning agent it is a post wash treatment. The two items in bold and underlined will probably remove any waterproofing product in the garment.

What are the ingredients of fabric conditioner?

smol fabric conditioner.
  • Water.
  • Cationic surfactants.
  • Perfume.
  • Glycerin.
  • Isopropyl alcohol.
  • Cellulose gum.
  • Cellulose.
  • Calcium chloride.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you buy cheap waterproofs don’t be surprised when they don’t work

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
My UA shoes, which I love the fit by the way, completely failed in their first real waterproof test this weekend. By that I mean a bit of rain but wet ground conditions.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
No it doesn't......

I've never found a set of "waterproof's" that are actually 100% waterproof. I include Galvin Green in that. They are my current rain gear, they have been washed and retreated as per manufacturers instructions, they work fine in light rain but they do not keep me dry in heavy rain, whatsoever. I will always be wet through in the top of the arms, the back, and the thighs, as I was yesterday - the rain hitting us hard for the last 3 holes. That's only the third time I've worn them since I retreated them in September. I've pretty much given up on finding a company that states 100% waterproof, and actually lives up to it. Over the years I've tried Proquip, Sunderland, Under Armour and GG, all failed me.

Part of the issue may be that I usually carry, which means the bag is always over the shoulders and across the back. As I carry, I don't usually take a brolly, relying on the hat and the waterproofs to do their job..... :(:censored::cry:

tobybarker

Visit site
hmmm a mixed set of opinions. I dont feel able to justify 280 notes for a jacket with gore tex on the label.

Can you tell me which proofer to use? I had some nikwax that I washed my golf over trousers in last time and it failed the test.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No it doesn't......

I've never found a set of "waterproof's" that are actually 100% waterproof. I include Galvin Green in that. They are my current rain gear, they have been washed and retreated as per manufacturers instructions, they work fine in light rain but they do not keep me dry in heavy rain, whatsoever. I will always be wet through in the top of the arms, the back, and the thighs, as I was yesterday - the rain hitting us hard for the last 3 holes. That's only the third time I've worn them since I retreated them in September. I've pretty much given up on finding a company that states 100% waterproof, and actually lives up to it. Over the years I've tried Proquip, Sunderland, Under Armour and GG, all failed me.

Part of the issue may be that I usually carry, which means the bag is always over the shoulders and across the back. As I carry, I don't usually take a brolly, relying on the hat and the waterproofs to do their job..... :(:censored::cry:
Does the water come in in the areas where you carry? Could carrying wear and weaken those spots?

I've had ProQuip and Footjoy trousers, Galvin Green and Sunderland jackets. I only changed each time for sizing reasons. All have been 100% waterproof in some absolute horror downpours. I don't even bother with an umbrella anymore, I trust my gear to do its job. My original waterproofs were Walrus, they failed horribly.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I now swear by Under Armour shoes, and just bought my 3rd pair. Only ones I can truly say do what they're meant to. GG waterproofs if you can afford them, and can stand the stiffness and noise which for me was a no. Stopped wearing them and switched to Sunderland.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hmmm a mixed set of opinions. I dont feel able to justify 280 notes for a jacket with gore tex on the label.

Can you tell me which proofer to use? I had some nikwax that I washed my golf over trousers in last time and it failed the test.....

I use nikwax and never had an issue

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I would still advice not buying golf wet weather gear and actually get some proper waterproof gear.

https://www.millets.co.uk/15898104/berghaus-mens-maitland-gore-tex-jacket-15898104

Berghaus Gortex jacket for £99

Berghaus is one of the most well respected brands in hiking, using Goretex this will probably keep you as dry as it is possible. Doesn't look too bulky to shouldn't affect your swing

Same brand trousers

https://www.millets.co.uk/15942134/berghaus-men-s-maitland-gore-tex-overtrousers-15942134

£69

I doubt you will find any golf brand that will offer you anywhere near as much protection and probably not for £168.

If you look at other shops and websites for hiking you will find really quality kit for less than this. This is going for one of the premium brands.

Golf clothing is usually a total rip off for what it is

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would still advice not buying golf wet weather gear and actually get some proper waterproof gear.

https://www.millets.co.uk/15898104/berghaus-mens-maitland-gore-tex-jacket-15898104

Berghaus is one of the most well respected brands in hiking, using Goretex this will probably keep you as dry as it is possible. Doesn't look too bulky to shouldn't affect your swing

Same brand trousers

https://www.millets.co.uk/15942134/berghaus-men-s-maitland-gore-tex-overtrousers-15942134

£69

I doubt you will find any golf brand that will offer you anywhere near as much protection and probably not for £168.

If you look at other shops and websites for hiking you will find really quality kit for less than this. This is going for one of the premium brands.

I have those trousers but for ladies. Only downside is no side pockets but then I put stuff in my jacket pockets.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Same brand trousers

£69

While I hate the price increase for "golf" clothing, I still find sometimes with non-golf clothing it can be a bit restrictive and not very stretchy to actually make a golf swing in. I have a decent waterproof Regatta jacket at home that didn't cost me very much, with a hood. Thought it would be great for golf but when I tried it it was really tight around the upper arms on my backswing so it was no good.