Wind and rain

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a fan of the wind and rain as a glasses wearer. I wouldn't walk in though. I keep my scorecard in a holder and tend to only get it out and fill it in every couple of holes under a brolly to keep it as dry as I can. Waterproof socks are a must if rain is forecast. Not sure there are many 100% waterproof shoes out there. I recommend the Sealzskin or the Dexters. As for the putting, I'm afraid that's trial and error. I would get my aimpoint read and then if the rain comes after I start, re-work it as the green slows.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suppose it would depend on how cold it was. This time of year while its still warm i would just get wet, hate being too warm playing and sticking waterproofs on would just make me too warm. Wind, not much you can do about it really Sat medal was 40MPH Plus according to our Starter who has all his measuring gear out on Sat.

Dont know what measuring gear your starter was using but if it was 40 mph+ winds that's gale force and even I wouldn't play in that as it's just about unplayable :thup:

Back to the op, wet greens won't take as much break and I find the best way to putt when it's windy is to widen your stance to get a more stable balance, also have a mindset to know everyone dislikes playing in wind and rain and if you can handle it better than them it will be to your advantage.

Your right 25 mph is just a slight breeze:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Dont know what measuring gear your starter was using but if it was 40 mph+ winds that's gale force and even I wouldn't play in that as it's just about unplayable :thup:

Back to the op, wet greens won't take as much break and I find the best way to putt when it's windy is to widen your stance to get a more stable balance, also have a mindset to know everyone dislikes playing in wind and rain and if you can handle it better than them it will be to your advantage.

Your right 25 mph is just a slight breeze:thup:

some sort of Wind speed and air pressure measuring device and apparently it was Knots not MPH

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you don;t mind wearing a hat, have a look at the Under Armour bucket style, the back lip of the hat is longer so it goes past your collar, it's adjustable to fit any head, well worth it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On Friday past me and my daughter's partner tried to play Southerness (as mentioned elsewhere). It started windy and dreich and ended after the 5th green. We couldn't use umbrellas and my cap was getting blown off (I just took it off and stuck it in my bag) - were getting drenched - the drizzle had turned driving - with the wind blowing it horizontal. We'd been really looking forward to our knock - it's a bit of a trek up from Surrey - but we just couldn't face heading out further - besides - my mate had already lost 6 balls balls - I think I'd lost 2 - maybe 3 - I can't recall - the wind and rain battered us so much - and we were having to shout to be heard when more than 6ft apart...

We were feeling bad giving up, but speaking with a member later in the clubhouse he said his group had got in about 2pm and he said they were relieved they weren't going out later as it was pretty gim when they had finished. So that made us feel a bit better.

Steward in the bar mentioned the difference between playing Southerness in summer and in winter - in winter it isn't so windy...:)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Southerness doesn't offer much in the way of shelter once that wind gets up. Great track and tough as old boots.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you don;t mind wearing a hat, have a look at the Under Armour bucket style, the back lip of the hat is longer so it goes past your collar, it's adjustable to fit any head, well worth it.
This I have one
Good waterproof suit and Mac wets.
I don’t use a brolly you get wetter of that than the rain.
All shoes let water in if it gets over the top but sealskins are great if a bit warm this weather.

putting impossible to guess , but wet green means slower usually so less break.