Wind and rain

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi guys and girls.
Playing on Sunday in the wind and rain out of our group of 18 six walked in.

The rain was heavy drizzle blown around by a 25mph wind so not too dificult to play in.

Now rain was not forecast so many had shorts on and me and two others never wore a jacket.
If i had known it would rain i would have had a jacket and trousers on.

I also am in need of 100% waterproof shoes,what are your suggestions as my feet were soaked.

I used FJ wet weather gloves which i dont like as putting feels different to me,but that will have to continue.
No umbrella can be used as its too windy.

My scorecard was soaked as well.

Yes i know the wind is a breeze to the Northern brigade but what i am looking for is lots of ideas,and how you cope.

I was not one of the guys that walked in,in fact none of my 4 ball did.

Im really struggling with my putting atm as well so answers to this question would be appreciated.

Lets say a putt of 20ft has a break of 5ft and the green is running fast,how much break would you expect on a wet green,thx

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I got a pair of Footjoy Dryjoys. They are not cheap, mine were £120 and they take a good bit of walking in. But feet were dry throughout on Saturday, even looking through a few bits of wet, heavy rough for lost balls.

Can't help you on the putting front. That seems like a LOT of break.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sealskinz socks are the answer. The waterproofing on shoes is limited, water gets in over the top particularly if you are searching in the rough. They are a bit thick but they work brilliantly. Not cheap but they work.

I wear them, zip my waterproof jacket to the top, pull my cap down tight and get on with it. In weather as you have described it becomes a battle of endurance. No fun, even for us northerners :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

There is no such thing as waterproof shoes, the water will find a way in somehow! The best solution is a 'decent'pair of shoes and sealskinz socks, they will set you back about £25-£30 but you will walk off the course with dry feet :thup:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was absolutely brutal at the weekend at ballyliffin. Two gloves is the answer in those conditions.

We didn't even mark the balls on the green. Just got on with it asap.

2 gave up. Me and my mate stuck it out. I actually enjoyed the challenge in a strange way but that weathers spoiled a great day out.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tend to accept I am going to get soaked through and I'll be heading straight to the showers post round for a rinse and drying out session...

Still believe you can't beat surgical gloves for best grip in biblical conditions...
OK so they don't look 'classy' but they work...

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There is no such thing as waterproof shoes, the water will find a way in somehow! The best solution is a 'decent'pair of shoes and sealskinz socks, they will set you back about £25-£30 but you will walk off the course with dry feet :thup:

On a rare occasion I agree with D4S. There are no such things as waterproof shoes. Best I have had are Puma for keeping my feet dry but once you go into the rough forget it. Wet socks and the capillary effect.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another fan of sealskinz but the downside I find is you have to have them on from the start and if you end playing a round in warmish conditions and it doesn't rain they can be a tad warm .

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I suppose it would depend on how cold it was. This time of year while its still warm i would just get wet, hate being too warm playing and sticking waterproofs on would just make me too warm. Wind, not much you can do about it really Sat medal was 40MPH Plus according to our Starter who has all his measuring gear out on Sat.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another fan of sealskinz but the downside I find is you have to have them on from the start and if you end playing a round in warmish conditions and it doesn't rain they can be a tad warm .

It's a shame they don't do a lightweight version for summer. I remember someone on here buying another brand that were thinner and lighter but when he used them they weren't fully waterproof. There were a few of us following that thread hoping for a positive review 😞

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember someone on here buying another brand that were thinner and lighter but when he used them they weren't fully waterproof. There were a few of us following that thread hoping for a positive review 😞
That may have been me. I reported on trying out some Dexshells.
They're about half the price of Sealskinz :)
And about half as effective :angry:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always carry a jacket - weather forecasts cant be trusted.
Carry a few old gloves, so you can change gloves every 3-4 holes, if required.
Carry one towel on the bag, one in the bag.
Dexshell/Sealskinz socks.

More than all of them put together - attitude. If the weather is biblical, I just get on with it, normally gets you well up on over 70% of the field.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
+1 for sealskinz and dexshells and a very sturdy brolley

However for me the most important thing is attitude and deciding that nothing will put me off. This and the knowledge that my chances of winning the comp/swindle/whatever will massively increase as half the field will give up!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
Adidas boost shoes ways been great. Galvin Green pac lite trews and Under Armour pac lite jacket on Sat, dry as a bone.

Mr Fastidious

Hacker
Visit site
Sealskinz now do a Super Thin Mid Sock

Waterproof | Unisex
£27.50
A performance super thin and lightweight multi-use waterproof mid length sock. Created for conditions where minimal insulation, maximum waterproof performance, high breathability and moisture wicking properties are required

Anyone tried them? at £27.50 they aint cheap!!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Oddly enough I don't even try to stay dry. I hate layers and if its warm enough I will go round in a t-shirt and get soaked. I like the idea of surgical gloves - so they really work as I hate rain gloves (1 or 2).

Another thing are they allowed within the rules?