Docking of dogs tails!!

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have two weimaraners with undocked tails, as great as it is having them wagging around when they get excited and start smashing their tails against doors and walls and split the tips open spraying blood everywhere it does become a pain!

We had another one with a docked tail, had been docked when we rescued him. Still wagged as mad as anything else!

T

thecraw

I'm looking to bring in another Boxer and looking at Ireland. Boxers with tails is just wrong and its just another example of goodie two shoes must get involved and cause an outcry society we live in.

The docking if done professionally is absolutely fine.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wrong in my opinion. Most of the reason certain dogs have their tails docked is because it fits into the "breed standard" which is basically how some people have decided a breed should look. I really don't understand how a breed standard can include removing part of the dog? It's not just docked tails either, most breeds have so many bred in genetic defects in them it's untrue, just to make them look how we like them to.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agree with Hawkeye - we have a boxer with a tail, and she has never split it. Fair enough, she's taken out our kids a few times, but never injured it.

Are boxers working dogs? In this day and age I'd say largely not, so why was it still the "done thing" to dock their tails? Because that was what was expected of the breed standard by the KC. Bollo**cks.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree with Hawkeye - we have a boxer with a tail, and she has never split it. Fair enough, she's taken out our kids a few times, but never injured it.

Are boxers working dogs? In this day and age I'd say largely not, so why was it still the "done thing" to dock their tails? Because that was what was expected of the breed standard by the KC. Bollo**cks.

Nothing to do with KC anymore. If you have a dog with a docked tail it can not be put into shows. If you have a working dog with a docked tail it can not be shown but can be used for demostation purposes only. KC condones the docking of tails other than working dogs and for medical reasons.

Redwood

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nothing to do with KC anymore. If you have a dog with a docked tail it can not be put into shows. If you have a working dog with a docked tail it can not be shown but can be used for demostation purposes only. KC condones the docking of tails other than working dogs and for medical reasons.

That's why I said "why was it", as in the past tense. ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My Springer has a full tail and has no problems with cutting or splitting it and she is a very active dog.
So really laid-back for a Springer then! :D

Being around a Springer or a Cocker can be a very wearying experience if not used to it! :p

Last edited: