One for dog owners…

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
WHY DOGS LIVE LESS THAN HUMAN
Here's the surprising answer of a 6 year old child.
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog’s owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.
I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn’t do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.
The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker‘s family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that dogs' lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ”I know why.”
Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.
He said, ”People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life — like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The six-year-old continued,
”Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay for as long as we do.”
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
• When your loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
• Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
• Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.
• Take naps.
• Stretch before rising.
• Run, romp, and play daily.
• Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
• Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
• On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
• On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
• When you’re happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
• Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
• Be faithful.
• Never pretend to be something you’re not.
• If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
• When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
That's the secret of happiness that we can learn from a good dog.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I’m a dog.

I’m often required to respond to one-word commands from my master, like “Wait!”

I’m very happy to spend several hours chasing a ball around the fields.

I eat too fast, fart a lot, have boundless energy, but need a lot of naps.
I’m also excessively hirsute for a human.

I love my master, get on well with all the relatives and friends of my master, but strangers can find me difficult to deal with at first until they gain my trust.

I can be extremely pleased with the simplest and cheapest of toys.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It's been a momentous week for Murphy, our 17 week old Springer pup. Yesterday he conquered his fear of going up the stairs. Today he conquered his even stronger fear of going back down them.

It's not such good news for Bruce, our 9yo Springer. Now he has nowhere to get sanctuary from the puppy!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My Meg left us three years back and I still get emotional thinking about it, wherever I go locally I remember her being with me.

I've not been able to get another dog yet although I have formed a great friendship with a beautiful black lab called 'Pearl' who lives in a local farm shop. The shop has an orchard, big meadow, a lake where she fetches the stick I throw in and a large wood where we go for walks a couple of times a week, she gets so exited when I arrive and call her with a whistle, maybe some of it is due to my bag of treats ?.

The Spaniel is Meg and Pearl the Black Lab.
img-20151230-wa0000-jpg.46249
Compress_20230201_215535_5859.jpgIMG-20151230-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Picked up Tigger today. Daughters fat headed Boxer. I took Layla to martial arts tonight. Came home and the dog was barking his head off. Went upstairs to see Missis Tash. She was having a relaxing bath. Only Tigger thought it would be more relaxing by resting his fat head on the bath side and just watching her. After a couple of minutes of not moving he thought it would be better fun if he stuck his head in the bubbles. At that point I came home. Missis T said he was seconds away from trying to get In The bath.
mint dogs are. ?
Oh ah, he has a limp ?
PS that’s Tiggers work when he pulled me over down the park. I was on me back looking up and the twazzock tried licking me knee when I was in agony. ?

Attachments

• 11C8B1B2-5269-467A-8715-E327668DF970.jpeg
    11C8B1B2-5269-467A-8715-E327668DF970.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Never myself had a dog and my dad always considered them working animals, so as a family we never had one. But I must admit to rather liking the idea of a Westie. Think our cats would be ok as they seem to find smaller dogs rather curious and interesting.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Never myself had a dog and my dad always considered them working animals, so as a family we never had one. But I must admit to rather liking the idea of a Westie. Think our cats would be ok as they seem to find smaller dogs rather curious and interesting.

My parents got a dog a few years back after never being dog people before and I've never seen love like it :ROFLMAO:

I don't think you'll regret it!

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
always had dogs in my life and I prefer dogs with a bad history. The time and effort to train them and gain their trust and to trust them is very rewarding to me.
My current brother and sister pair were a nervous wreck. They’d spent a year with no offers of adoption and four years in Bosnia with no offers. It was decided they’d be split up and offered separately.
I caught their photos on Facebook and realised they could be separated and I was in a position to have them so enquired.
I spent everyday for three weeks in their little kennel getting to know them until I was allowed to take them home. It took a further two months to get them out the house and go on walks and to stop shaking over the thought of the outside world. I never forced them out and let them go when they were ready to follow.
Both as good as gold now, some nerves towards bounding dogs due to past experiences as they have some battle scars between them but all is well.
6CEC6EE7-A360-44C2-BC2E-83D80BBEA4A5.jpeg

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I’ve had dogs most of my life. Our last was the 4th Border I’d had. Would love another Border Collie but I’m not fit enough, nor young enough. The thought of dying before the dog wouldn’t be good for the dog - imagine a 10yr old ending up in a Rescue.

Bessdog at rest…
1675349489055.jpeg

A week before cancer took her…

1675349554474.jpeg

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Westie’s are full of character. We’ve had a mixed dog/cat house many times. It’s never been a problem. Watching a cat stalk a bird with a young dog copying the cat, apart from the wagging tail, is hilarious - cat wasn’t impressed.