Do you still carry cash?

Do you carry cash or are you cashless now

• Total voters

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Very rarely carry cash,if I’ve got it I spend it.
Dread checking internet banking after a night out tho 😨

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the first time ever I now go out without a wallet as I’ve joined the tappy tap era.

There normally £40/50 in the car incase the phone goes flat etc and if I’m on the piss the same for what ifs.

Always a bag of swag in the golf bag as I’m like 3jabber, it’s roll up money

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always carry a reasonable amount of cash but pay by card if I can do so.
Not become 21st century though and use a phone to pay.
Several shops where I live are cash only but some are no cash.

I did send all my notes with the queen's head to some guy who said he would change them for one with the king's head on but I have not received them yet, I suppose the post from Nigeria takes a bit longer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have very little cash except a jar of all the useless cons that nobody wants. Think I have 60p in my pocket that has been there for ages but a lot else. All the things I used to use cash for, like parking, have gone cashless and so there is little point and if I use cash in places like the pub, I just end up with more useless small denomination coins that nobody wants.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I always carry cash. Rarely use it but always carry it. Relying on technology for banking is my fear.
I agree with this. Earlier in the year I did the big shop in Sainsburys and halfway through scanning my shopping the cashier informed me the card system had crashed again (3rd time that morning). Luckily I had my wallet with cards in so could nip outside to the cashpoint and get some cash out to pay. Those who rely on their phones to pay would not have had this option so I think it is good to have some sort of backup and not have a single point of failure.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually have some cash on me and use it when I have to. But I don't withdraw cash from a till anywhere near as often as I used to. Use a card most of the time. (Did start using phone, but swapped back to card).

But I have a jar in my locker with about (at last count) £40 change in it for swindles etc. Usually, it's a lot less, but one never seems to properly run out. As regards swindles, any cash just sort of circulates around the group. Anyone who wins anything tends to just keep it to pay their next entry fees.

Springveldt

Visit site
Usually have a little amount in my wallet, maybe around £5 as it's mainly what's left from buying the take aways on a Friday night as both the local chinese and burger/pizza/kebab place only take cash. I end up going to the cashpoint on a Friday to get money for them which survives until the missus or oldest child needs some money for a random thing and then the wallet is empty again till the Friday.

The window cleaner has practically given up calling in for money since I've never got cash, he just tells me when we pass in the neighbourhood (lives on the same street as me) how many weeks I owe him and then I'll pop over the cash point for it.

Also got 3 pound coins in the car, float money for the supermarket trolley at the weekend.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Usually have a little amount in my wallet, maybe around £5 as it's mainly what's left from buying the take aways on a Friday night as both the local chinese and burger/pizza/kebab place only take cash. I end up going to the cashpoint on a Friday to get money for them which survives until the missus or oldest child needs some money for a random thing and then the wallet is empty again till the Friday.

The window cleaner has practically given up calling in for money since I've never got cash, he just tells me when we pass in the neighbourhood (lives on the same street as me) how many weeks I owe him and then I'll pop over the cash point for it.

Also got 3 pound coins in the car, float money for the supermarket trolley at the weekend.

Got the old trolly tokens in the car ,

Window cleaner takes bank transfer luckily

Mandofred

Visit site
Yes. Went to a Subway about a month ago.....the person in front of me got a free sandwich because the system wasn't working right and she didn't have any cash. I had money and paid :cry:.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Very rarely carry cash,if I’ve got it I spend it.
Dread checking internet banking after a night out tho 😨
This is true for me as well. If I end up with cash in my wallet I end up spending it very quickly. Anything you buy with cash feels like it's free because there's nothing coming out of your account.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I'd say about 95% cashless, like many others - Cash taken out for things that require cash only as and when needed.

Always a few quid in coins in my car - used if I play the roll up - and built up by the fact that the local hand car wash is cash only but my car costs £8 so £2 always ends up in the cup holder.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is true for me as well. If I end up with cash in my wallet I end up spending it very quickly. Anything you buy with cash feels like it's free because there's nothing coming out of your account.

I normally order the take aways at work so people try and give me cash. I resist as much as possible

I run the tuck shop tho so if someone gives me cash I normally put in the shops account lol

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always have a £20 stashed in the car. I was getting into the tap tap regime then changed my phone. Upgraded to a newer Samsung to allow Wi-Fi calling (signal at home is awful) and was shocked to find it doesn't have NFC! I think Amazon are selling ones marketed for the Indian market...I'd gone through the set up process and was a couple of weeks in before I noticed...rubbish!

Morfeen75

Visit site
Always have a £20 stashed in the car. I was getting into the tap tap regime then changed my phone. Upgraded to a newer Samsung to allow Wi-Fi calling (signal at home is awful) and was shocked to find it doesn't have NFC! I think Amazon are selling ones marketed for the Indian market...I'd gone through the set up process and was a couple of weeks in before I noticed...rubbish!
What Samsung do you have? My last 4 handsets have been Samsung and all of them have nfc

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I pay for most things by card. I don't trust the pay by phone option. I also still carry cash in my wallet which I still carry around with me all the time. There are times when paying by cash is beneficial, and I have been in some places where the machine has broken down and they can only accept cash. It's quite fun to see the younger people totally at a loss as they don't even have a card to get cash out of the machine.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I pay for most things by card. I don't trust the pay by phone option. I also still carry cash in my wallet which I still carry around with me all the time. There are times when paying by cash is beneficial, and I have been in some places where the machine has broken down and they can only accept cash. It's quite fun to see the younger people totally at a loss as they don't even have a card to get cash out of the machine.

Out of interest why don't you trust pay by phone? Do you tap your card? The security on the tap by card is more secure than tapping the physical card which can easily be stolen and used where as a stolen phone can't be tapped without your finger print / pin

Also when you get a new card the phone updates in seconds to be used

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
What Samsung do you have? My last 4 handsets have been Samsung and all of them have nfc

A14. My older model had it...Lots of complaints although Samsung state it has NFC so the consensus seems to be some for other markets don't have it.