Do you still carry cash?

Do you carry cash or are you cashless now

• Total voters

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Out of interest why don't you trust pay by phone? Do you tap your card? The security on the tap by card is more secure than tapping the physical card which can easily be stolen and used where as a stolen phone can't be tapped without your finger print / pin

Also when you get a new card the phone updates in seconds to be used
Personal preference. And also, I am not 100% convinced that the phone is safer. Just my choice and belief.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh no thats not very good. Samsung should be able to update the software and enable NFC.

Yep it's a pain. So much so I think I'll just upgrade and be done with it. I feel a right twit sometimes and now carry phone AND card when cycling so if we stop for tea and cake I can pay!

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Out of interest why don't you trust pay by phone? Do you tap your card? The security on the tap by card is more secure than tapping the physical card which can easily be stolen and used where as a stolen phone can't be tapped without your finger print / pin

Also when you get a new card the phone updates in seconds to be used
Doesn’t take too much for someone to break into a phone

It’s getting tougher but still a risk and the same with cards etc

And then of course dropping a phone may cause serious damage - a card less so

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t take too much for someone to break into a phone

It’s getting tougher but still a risk and the same with cards etc

And then of course dropping a phone may cause serious damage - a card less so

Apple Pay & Google Pay
Up

Is Google Pay safe? A payments expert weighs in
Home
/
Google Pay for Business
/
Jotform Editorial Team
by Jotform Editorial Team
Last updated: August 6, 2024
Post ID
Today’s digital payments landscape continues to become more innovative and convenient. We’re now able to simply wave our phones around to make purchases — it’s like magic!

What’s really at play is technology, of course. Google Pay is one example of this type of technology, but sometimes consumers are apprehensive about the security of such financial transactions. And that leads to the common question: Is Google Pay safe?

“Consumers tend to be skeptical about new technology in general,” says Monica Eaton-Cardone, a payments expert and founder of Chargebacks911, a platform dedicated to helping merchants combat payment fraud.

“That’s not necessarily a bad thing — fraud, identity theft, and other types of cybercrime are unfortunate realities and talked about in the media. This causes people to be hesitant about using products like Google Pay.”

However, Eaton-Cardone notes that the biggest driver behind the hesitation is a lack of understanding. Digital payment services are still relatively new, and people want to know how they work.

The instructions for using Google Pay are simple — tap your phone on the checkout terminal, and Google handles the transaction for you — “but that doesn’t really explain how the product works,” says Eaton-Cardone.

“When consumers push for a better answer, they usually hear something like this: ‘It stores all your credit card information so you don’t need to carry a wallet.’ When it’s put that way, even proponents of the product have to admit that it doesn’t sound very safe,” she says.

Is Google Pay safe?
“No technology is going to be completely safe. There are always going to be hackers, and tech is only ‘unhackable’ until somebody hacks it,” Eaton-Cardone explains. “That said, professionals within the financial industry generally regard Google Pay as safe — certainly safer than swiping a card or keying in your information.”

The biggest reason for this is that Google Pay doesn’t actually transmit users’ information during a transaction. Instead, all payments made with the app rely on virtual card numbers — coded tokens that represent the actual account information.

The token is unique in that it will only work for that purchase, from that merchant, using that credit card. Even so, Google goes out of its way to keep the token safe too. Everything within the process is encrypted from both ends, and any information Google has is stored on its secured, encrypted servers.

Eaton-Cardone says this is the same way EMV chip cards work: The transaction is conducted using a temporary number that will only work for that purchase. Even if someone somehow captures the number, it will be meaningless — it can’t be traced back to personal data. So for a consumer, any hack that somehow did occur wouldn’t require them to get a new card.

“The technology is even safer if the cardholder implements all the safeguards that Google recommends, including two-factor authentication on phones or other portable devices,” says Eaton-Cardone.

Google Pay also employs near field communication (NFC) for in-store transactions. Eaton-Cardone says NFC is considered more secure than other transmission methods because data is only broadcast an inch or two from the device.

“To ensure information on your phone is secure, Google Pay requires that your screen be set to automatically lock. If the screen lock is disabled, your account details will be removed from Google Pay.”

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Apple Pay & Google Pay
Up

Home
/
Google Pay for Business
/
Jotform Editorial Team
Post ID
Today’s digital payments landscape continues to become more innovative and convenient. We’re now able to simply wave our phones around to make purchases — it’s like magic!

What’s really at play is technology, of course. Google Pay is one example of this type of technology, but sometimes consumers are apprehensive about the security of such financial transactions. And that leads to the common question: Is Google Pay safe?

“Consumers tend to be skeptical about new technology in general,” says Monica Eaton-Cardone, a payments expert and founder of Chargebacks911, a platform dedicated to helping merchants combat payment fraud.

“That’s not necessarily a bad thing — fraud, identity theft, and other types of cybercrime are unfortunate realities and talked about in the media. This causes people to be hesitant about using products like Google Pay.”

However, Eaton-Cardone notes that the biggest driver behind the hesitation is a lack of understanding. Digital payment services are still relatively new, and people want to know how they work.

The instructions for using Google Pay are simple — tap your phone on the checkout terminal, and Google handles the transaction for you — “but that doesn’t really explain how the product works,” says Eaton-Cardone.

“When consumers push for a better answer, they usually hear something like this: ‘It stores all your credit card information so you don’t need to carry a wallet.’ When it’s put that way, even proponents of the product have to admit that it doesn’t sound very safe,” she says.

Is Google Pay safe?
“No technology is going to be completely safe. There are always going to be hackers, and tech is only ‘unhackable’ until somebody hacks it,” Eaton-Cardone explains. “That said, professionals within the financial industry generally regard Google Pay as safe — certainly safer than swiping a card or keying in your information.”

The biggest reason for this is that Google Pay doesn’t actually transmit users’ information during a transaction. Instead, all payments made with the app rely on virtual card numbers — coded tokens that represent the actual account information.

The token is unique in that it will only work for that purchase, from that merchant, using that credit card. Even so, Google goes out of its way to keep the token safe too. Everything within the process is encrypted from both ends, and any information Google has is stored on its secured, encrypted servers.

Eaton-Cardone says this is the same way EMV chip cards work: The transaction is conducted using a temporary number that will only work for that purchase. Even if someone somehow captures the number, it will be meaningless — it can’t be traced back to personal data. So for a consumer, any hack that somehow did occur wouldn’t require them to get a new card.

“The technology is even safer if the cardholder implements all the safeguards that Google recommends, including two-factor authentication on phones or other portable devices,” says Eaton-Cardone.

Google Pay also employs near field communication (NFC) for in-store transactions. Eaton-Cardone says NFC is considered more secure than other transmission methods because data is only broadcast an inch or two from the device.

“To ensure information on your phone is secure, Google Pay requires that your screen be set to automatically lock. If the screen lock is disabled, your account details will be removed from Google Pay.”
Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Apple Pay & Google Pay
Up

Home
/
Google Pay for Business
/
Jotform Editorial Team
Post ID

Is Google Pay safe?
“No technology is going to be completely safe. There are always going to be hackers, and tech is only ‘unhackable’ until somebody hacks it,”
Eaton-Cardone explains. “That said, professionals within the financial industry generally regard Google Pay as safe — certainly safer than swiping a card or keying in your information.”

As the highlighted says

No technology is completely safe

There is always someone out there working to hack into something

Will come down to how someone feels more safe - some are over reliant on technology and some are very resistant to technology and until it’s full proof then there will always be people that will have a mistrust in regards technology

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the highlighted says

No technology is completely safe

There is always someone out there working to hack into something

Will come down to how someone feels more safe - some are over reliant on technology and some are very resistant to technology and until it’s full proof then there will always be people that will have a mistrust in regards technology

Well as @Imurg just posted he can't be bothered to read all that which is where mistrust of tech comes from. Lack of people willing to educate themselves and advance their knowledge

Luckily there are more people willing to move forward like @Oddsocks who's embracing the tap tap

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I stopped carrying cash during Covid. When retailers and, in particular, the hospitality trade went cashless, I no longer found a need for it.

I will go to a cashpoint probably once a month to get a few quid out purely for the purpose of paying my fiver entry for our Saturday roll up. It’s the only thing I do which is still cash only.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I stopped carrying cash during Covid. When retailers and, in particular, the hospitality trade went cashless, I no longer found a need for it.

I will go to a cashpoint probably once a month to get a few quid out purely for the purpose of paying my fiver entry for our Saturday roll up. It’s the only thing I do which is still cash only.

I like when going out for a meal one the places we go if there are 4 of us automatically applies 10% service charge, can take off if you ask, however I find it so useful then you don't have to worry about cash for a tip just pay that

Only because not all restaurants offer cashless tips. Hit and miss

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I like when going out for a meal one the places we go if there are 4 of us automatically applies 10% service charge, can take off if you ask, however I find it so useful then you don't have to worry about cash for a tip just pay that

Only because not all restaurants offer cashless tips. Hit and miss

I use my roll up winnings for tips. I’m a good tipper.

😉

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well as @Imurg just posted he can't be bothered to read all that which is where mistrust of tech comes from. Lack of people willing to educate themselves and advance their knowledge

Luckily there are more people willing to move forward like @Oddsocks who's embracing the tap tap

I’ll never fully embrace it until TfL pull their finger out and do an oyster version for Apple wallet.

TfL are the perfect example of a business not willing to move with the times

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always have some cash on me , and I use cash as much as I can , I really don't want a cashless society , my fishing competitions are cash only ,as is getting my eggs from the local chicken farmer.