Do driver fittings work?

phillarrow

Visit site
But let’s be clear if I found a Dunlop 65i lumi in good condition I’d be teeing up. Or do they say gaming it now?

You haven't answered my question? Do you think modern clubs are an improvement on older clubs? What I mean is, do you think you are likely to score better with modern clubs, even though your swing is still the same?

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Why did you upgrade? And why do you consider it an upgrade as opposed to just replacing used equipment?
My equipment was 18 years old and was missing a 5 iron and I couldn’t source a replacement. My driver head fly off mid swing it didn’t go out of bounds but I couldn’t find it. 3 wood is a mates old one but when I hit it well I get 220 out of it

phillarrow

Visit site
My swing like most amateurs is different every time I tee it up

That's disputed but I'm not going there with you.

Are you going to actually answer my questions or are you just intent on wasting time? I genuinely think there's an interesting discussion here but if you just want to skirt around your views and not answer questions about them, I've got better things to do. ?

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have eecently upgraded from mizuno jpx forged to sub 70 699 pro with the same s300 shaft. I’ve have also just bought a new PXG driver with same shaft as my old 7 year old driver. I’ve haven’t noticed any significant benefitsZ poor shots are poor good shots are good. I think all this fitting benefits are a myth but go ahead and fill your boots if I think it will help you game

phillarrow

Visit site
I have eecently upgraded from mizuno jpx forged to sub 70 699 pro with the same s300 shaft. I’ve have also just bought a new PXG driver with same shaft as my old 7 year old driver. I’ve haven’t noticed any significant benefitsZ poor shots are poor good shots are good. I think all this fitting benefits are a myth but go ahead and fill your boots if I think it will help you game

But you have chosen to buy into the fact that new technology has produced better clubs? Or you would choose to buy older versions, e.g. wooden drivers, if you could?

Technology does help us and club fitting using swing data is just a newer technology than, for example, titanium drivers.

Also, in an earlier post, you said that we should just choose the right flex.
How is that done? Is it based on swing speed/distance carried? How would I know which flex is correct for me?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think a distinction needs to be made between the technology of the club itself, and the technology of the fitting equipment. The equipment is certainly very technologically impressive to be able to measure ball speed, angle of attack, launch angle etc,. But that doesnt necessarily mean that being good technology - and it certainly is - it therefore translates to benefitting club specification leading to performance improvement. Which is the ostensible goal of the technology.

phillarrow

Visit site
I think a distinction needs to be made between the technology of the club itself, and the technology of the fitting equipment. The equipment is certainly very technologically impressive to be able to measure ball speed, angle of attack, launch angle etc,. But that doesnt necessarily mean that being good technology - and it certainly is - it therefore translates to benefitting club specification leading to performance improvement. Which is the ostensible goal of the technology.

Yeah there's definitely a difference, but people doubted every new technological advancement when it first came out - including metal woods, hollow irons etc. Its just interesting to see how arbitrary peoples views are regarding where technology helps and where it doesn't.

Out of interest - do you believe that shaft flex makes ANY difference? Or that irons with weight placed lower in the head can increase launch angle?

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
My swing like most amateurs is different every time I tee it up

If you actually saw pretty much any amateurs club delivery numbers on a launch monitor you would soon realise how wrong you are on that. Even the most inconsistent of golfers have a consistent pattern/club delivery.

Have you ever been to a good club fitter who knows what they're doing? It can make a huge difference to your game.

Why would you notice any significant benefits when all you've done is buy a new driver head with the same shaft as you had before? You need to go for a proper fitting to see if there's something out the that can improve your game. Maybe your driver fits you well already and you wouldn't see much of a gain in distance or dispersion or perhaps you have a driver that doesn't work as well as you may think it does and come away quite surprised at the results.

I saw one of your earlier posts about just choosing the right shaft flex but there's way more to it than that. I had a driver shaft fitting with my previous driver, one shafts was an extra stiff Tensei 1k and another was a extra stiff Ventus Velocore Blue, there was a huge difference in the dispersion between them. I just couldn't time the Tensei at all and was spraying it all over the place, my smash factor was 1.44 whereas the Ventus was 1.49. this alone is a big difference but throw in the wrong flex and head combination with the Tensei and the gap between a well fitted driver and a poorly fit one would be even bigger. This is why I play the driver I do and not the spec of my father's driver it simply doesn't work for me.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you actually saw pretty much any amateurs club delivery numbers on a launch monitor you would soon realise how wrong you are on that. Even the most inconsistent of golfers have a consistent pattern/club delivery.

Have you ever been to a good club fitter who knows what they're doing? It can make a huge difference to your game.

Why would you notice any significant benefits when all you've done is buy a new driver head with the same shaft as you had before? You need to go for a proper fitting to see if there's something out the that can improve your game. Maybe your driver fits you well already and you wouldn't see much of a gain in distance or dispersion or perhaps you have a driver that doesn't work as well as you may think it does and come away quite surprised at the results.

I saw one of your earlier posts about just choosing the right shaft flex but there's way more to it than that. I had a driver shaft fitting with my previous driver, one shafts was an extra stiff Tensei 1k and another was a extra stiff Ventus Velocore Blue, there was a huge difference in the dispersion between them. I just couldn't time the Tensei at all and was spraying it all over the place, my smash factor was 1.44 whereas the Ventus was 1.49. this alone is a big difference but throw in the wrong flex and head combination with the Tensei and the gap between a well fitted driver and a poorly fit one would be even bigger. This is why I play the driver I do and not the spec of my father's driver it simply doesn't work for me.
what kind of distance gain did you get You say it was huge between the 2 shafts

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

For example, roughly, how many shots for a 15 handicapper at the extremes : random 'wrong' driver he picked of the shelf, best no-cost limit from the best club fitter in the land ?

Boomy

Visit site

I think distinction needs to be made between the present, and the past which you seem stuck in.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yeah there's definitely a difference, but people doubted every new technological advancement when it first came out - including metal woods, hollow irons etc. Its just interesting to see how arbitrary peoples views are regarding where technology helps and where it doesn't.

Out of interest - do you believe that shaft flex makes ANY difference? Or that irons with weight placed lower in the head can increase launch angle?

To the handicap golfer, little or none. Yes, launch angle and the likes will change somewhat. But they are not what make him a middle handicap golfer. It is his bad, shots, slices that no club in the world can save, the miss hit, and so on. There is no clear link meaningful link between those changes that a club flex or face loft tweak and the effect on someones score. If that is not there, then all the technology in the world, no matter how innovative or scientifically impressive or expensive, can have no effect.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think distinction needs to be made between the present, and the past which you seem stuck in.
Not at all. Have some scientific background, and most interested in technology. Maybe that is what makes me question some of the claims, explicit or implicit, on this topic. New technology, does not mean, successful technology.