Did you watch Sky's coverage of Day 1 of the Masters?

Did you watch Sky's coverage of Day 1 of the Masters?

• Total voters

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
I watched but tend not to listen to the commentary too much. Most of them just rehash the usual guff " one of the best driver, putter, short games in the world" at least Alliss was funny sometimes.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't enjoy the sky coverage. You pay a lot of the subscription then get bombarded with adverts.
I just used the Master's app to watch the top players on the leader board, plus the players I was interested in.
It's so nice to be able to go back into a players round and see their past shots too.

I watched a bit of it on the US Golf Channel. If you think Sky bombarded you with adverts spare a thought for those in the States. I timed one segment and an ad break occurred less than 4 minutes after the last one! I soon gave up and switched back to Sky :)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I watched a lot of the coverage yesterday and didn’t even mind the extensive footage of Woods - as others have said, as one of the early featured groups included Tiger the saturation coverage was rather unavoidable.

As for the commentary, in the main it was okay, with the exception of Laura Davies and the irritating Paul McGinley. But I do wish Andrew Coltart, in particular, would stop fawning over Tiger. It was embarrassing to listen at times, and left me hoping that, from a sanitary point of view, Coltart had taken a box of Kleenex into the commentary box so he could mop up the mess.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'm just glad I'm riding piggyback on my BIL's Sky subscription.
I'd hate to be paying for this dross.
Say what you like about the Beeb and dear old Peter. They did it better

sunshine

Visit site
I'm just glad I'm riding piggyback on my BIL's Sky subscription.
I'd hate to be paying for this dross.
Say what you like about the Beeb and dear old Peter. They did it better

Is this a case of rose tinted glasses? The sky coverage is so much fuller than BBC. They are devoting a whole channel to the event, multiple feeds on the red button, highlights and clips on demand, they show the par 3 competition and the range, loads more tech to provide better analysis.

Ultimately the main feed of the action is provided by the same host broadcaster, so that would be identical for BBC or Sky I believe. Just comes down to preference of commentators. Not all the sky commentators are my cup of tea, but all so much better than dear old Peter Alliss. This is a well debated opinion though!

I think this is another one for thread bingo! ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Whilst clearly I don't have access to the exact nuances of the arrangements Sky have, like slab and some others I typically watch golf via other means. There are times it seems they have restrictions, but also from comments on here I've come to the conclusion they also regularly chose to give 'pundit time ' rather than show golf that is available. Perhaps they see that as their differentiator to the ever growing ways of just watching people hit golf balls. For me, I prefer the latter.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Is this a case of rose tinted glasses? The sky coverage is so much fuller than BBC. They are devoting a whole channel to the event, multiple feeds on the red button, highlights and clips on demand, they show the par 3 competition and the range, loads more tech to provide better analysis.

Ultimately the main feed of the action is provided by the same host broadcaster, so that would be identical for BBC or Sky I believe. Just comes down to preference of commentators. Not all the sky commentators are my cup of tea, but all so much better than dear old Peter Alliss. This is a well debated opinion though!

I don't particularly want to watch a cartoon Danny Willett, and be shown how he's saving his back twinges.
What a waste of time

D

Deleted member 29109

If Peter Alliss was American he would get absolutely slated on here. He just spewed hours of complete nonsense.

Ken on the course was the only thing the BBC did that was better than Sky.

Red devil

Visit site
Ended up watching it on the Masters app,which is superb.
Not sure if they're prisoner to American coverage but sick of hearing about Tiger and watching coverage from the range.
In saying that in contrast to a few on here I like Laura, mainly because she talks from having been there and done it so knows what she's talking about. And yes, Rich Beem is excellent.
Ps. I may be hung by my own petard here but I loved Peter Alliss mainly because he was the opposite of the other cardboard cutouts in the commentary box,on a par with the great Arlott in my view

D

Deleted member 1147

Like with a lot of different sports, I like to watch on silent, with music on to listen to, instead of commentary.
Largely because I know more about what’s happening than some of the commentators, and so don’t need telling.
The amount of times they tell you incorrect facts is embarrassing, in loads of sports (particularly Rugby).

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If Peter Alliss was American he would get absolutely slated on here. He just spewed hours of complete nonsense.

Ken on the course was the only thing the BBC did that was better than Sky.

Agreed. Alliss was past his sell by date for almost a decade and as much as McGinley and Coltart are pants in the commentary box, they are/were still better than those supporting Alliss. Ken Brown had been doing some stuff with Sky recently and I hope he can get more work and a place in the box more often (and drop McGinley)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The main thing that annoyed me on Sky yesterday was Coltart jizzing his pants whenever Rory made a birdie as if he wasn't already like 6 shots adrift with less than nine holes left at the time. When McGinley is the voice of reason telling him to calm down then you know you've got problems.