Did you watch Sky's coverage of Day 1 of the Masters?

Did you watch Sky's coverage of Day 1 of the Masters?

• Total voters

Springveldt

Visit site
Watch holes 4,5,6 and Amen Corner until full coverage starts, and the inane repetitive studio chat has finished.

It's a shame most of the Sky' lead presenting/commentary team are so unbearable at times and don't enhance the coverage at all. Ewan Murray and Rich Beem are the only two worth keeping; the rest just repeat the same two or three nuggets that no-one is interested in/tired of hearing (usually a trifecta about statistics, mentality and weather, with an added cliché or two, in the case of McGinley).
Radar is the best for me. I'm just waiting on him saying something that gets him banned from Augusta.

wjemather

Visit site
Radar is the best for me. I'm just waiting on him saying something that gets him banned from Augusta.
He'd be alright in small doses, but he's become such a parody of himself, and goes ott in playing up to it, that he's now passed the point of being mildly irritating.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Voted no because I don't get sky here
Watched the CBS US steam
Very few ad breaks
Very 'corporate' artificial commentary

But to be fair it fits with the artificial course
(I'm sure the 'pine straw' is dyed that orangey shade of brown, in reality it should be more poo brown & what happened to all the pine cones that have been falling for months? )
Feature group coverage was tiger heavy but he was in the feature group!
Amen corner coverage had no tiger until he played those holes

Main coverage was far more balanced

Springveldt

Visit site
Voted no because I don't get sky here
Watched the CBS US steam
Very few ad breaks
Very 'corporate' artificial commentary

But to be fair it fits with the artificial course
(I'm sure the 'pine straw' is dyed that orangey shade of brown, in reality it should be more poo brown & what happened to all the pine cones that have been falling for months? )
Feature group coverage was tiger heavy but he was in the feature group!
Amen corner coverage had no tiger until he played those holes

Main coverage was far more balanced
Could have sworn I read somewhere that the pine straw isn't even from the trees it's under, they ship it in. Same with the magnolias, they keep them indoor so that they are ready to bloom for the TV cameras this week.

Reactions: SyR

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes - maybe about 15mins of it.

TBH as much as I do enjoy the golf I can't be bothered with the fawning and pretentious pomposity that surrounds the place and the event and if I hear too much of that (or too much TW hypebole) when I start watching I just switch off - as I did last night. But I will watch again later today and this evening.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was was it was and the OP more than anybody will know that Sky can't control much about the coverage they receive and have to do the best with it. With Tiger out early and in a featured group it was always going to be about him but once he finished I thought the coverage as the same as any other year. Beemer and Radar are great value and I actually like Murray but who thought Coltart and McGinley in the box at the same time was a good idea

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw lots of Tiger but plenty of other players.
Watched holes 4/5/6 which was good
Turn to Amen corner till about 9
Then full coverage to 1am and saw loads of the field.
Same again for the next 3 days
Lovely

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, for the most part I enjoyed it. One or two of the commentators lack the vocabulary to do it justice, but that's a minor gripe. At least we were spared Mark Roe.

Tiger received a lot of the coverage as expected, but it was fascinating to watch him battle his way to a competitive score after such a long time out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To be honest I expected it. Watching Tiger/ the masters. Was like watching the Good, the bad and the ugly. Put it this way, it was better than watching “ The power of the dog” last night ?
Hope you enjoyed the scenery then!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Thought it was pretty good overall, not a huge Tiger fan but I was desperate to see him play.. Bizarre not to even really see likes of Garcia, Rose, Thomas et al.

Wish they would try and get more out of Butch, he should be the star of the show with all his memories and stories but feel like we're going round in circles with him and he keeps coming out with 'this is Augusta National!' which is already a bit boring. I seem to be in the minority as don't mind McGinley. Struggle more with Murray and Beem being together.

Would like a lot more about things like a player's actual qualities eg Strokes Gained in this and that rather than 'Westwood's improved his chipping' which happened about 10 years ago. Would also like to see Riley doing more on-course preview bits like the new 11th.

Otherwise all great particularly that we have the Masters app where I've watched more of the golf than on Sky.

Last edited:

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't enjoy the sky coverage. You pay a lot of the subscription then get bombarded with adverts.
I just used the Master's app to watch the top players on the leader board, plus the players I was interested in.
It's so nice to be able to go back into a players round and see their past shots too.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, for the most part I enjoyed it. One or two of the commentators lack the vocabulary to do it justice, but that's a minor gripe. At least we were spared Mark Roe.
Always a blessing!
Tiger received a lot of the coverage as expected, but it was fascinating to watch him battle his way to a competitive score after such a long time out.
Agreed! Will be interesting to see how much strain that has put on his body. I actualy hope I was wrong with my earlier assessment/guess of him not making the cut, even though he'll likely dominate coverage to the detriment of leaders!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Faldo on Sky then was great, told us some different bits and nice rapport with 'Little Nick' Dougherty. More of that

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Faldo on Sky then was great, told us some different bits and nice rapport with 'Little Nick' Dougherty. More of that

100% agree. Love Faldo personally but he’s come in for some stick regarding his co-commentary on US tv. However, that was great, insightful and interesting. Can we have him back please?!

Carlwm

Visit site
Sky do most sports poorly enough that I've got rid of my subscription. I'll occasionally watch the golf when it pops up on the free channel if I've got nothing better do.