Dehumidifier

Mandofred

Visit site
Anybody use one? Planning on using the clothes dryer less this year, thinking about buying a decent dehumidifier just to speed up the drying of clothes in the house. We don't have damp issues, but if we start hanging up more wet stuff it's going to get a bit humid inside. I hang a fair bit of sweaty clothes in a bedroom that just doesn't dry at this time of year.....

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have had one for over 20 years.
First bought to dry out the house which had stood empty for 18 months
It is very good, we only use it occasionally in the winter months, mainly during frosty weather.
It is surprising how much water it can gather up.

Mandofred

Visit site
We have had one for over 20 years.
First bought to dry out the house which had stood empty for 18 months
It is very good, we only use it occasionally in the winter months, mainly during frosty weather.
It is surprising how much water it can gather up.
Have you noticed a big difference in drying clothes inside?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I just use the disposable ones (.5ltr) and have half a dozen round the flat at any one time. Usually pop them in beside clothes and shoe drawers.
Have them all year round

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anybody use one? Planning on using the clothes dryer less this year, thinking about buying a decent dehumidifier just to speed up the drying of clothes in the house. We don't have damp issues, but if we start hanging up more wet stuff it's going to get a bit humid inside. I hang a fair bit of sweaty clothes in a bedroom that just doesn't dry at this time of year.....

Have you thought of a heated clothes airer at all. I have started using one from Lakeland. Aldi also have had them in. No issues with damp from it. We also have a dehumidifier but only use it for drying golf waterproofs. Would take far too long to dry a load of washing.

Mandofred

Visit site
Yeah, I've seen those. If we get serious about hanging laundry up to dry, the whole upstairs (probably) is going to get sticky. Because I get sweaty twice a day usually, I have an airer that is used for my stinky dirty muddy clothes and my wife tends to stay away from using that for "clean" clothes (understandably). During the winter especially, the windows are closed....and quite simply it gets stinky. Adding another airer or two in that room for other laundry to dry is liable to produce a horrible new disease:eek:. As it is, it usually takes the sweaty stuff I have in the morning well into afternoon to dry. We already keep the house warm (20.5), I just figured that getting something to suck the water out of the air for a couple of hours most days would speed the drying process up....and without the slight smell from my yucky clothes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen those. If we get serious about hanging laundry up to dry, the whole upstairs (probably) is going to get sticky. Because I get sweaty twice a day usually, I have an airer that is used for my stinky dirty muddy clothes and my wife tends to stay away from using that for "clean" clothes (understandably). During the winter especially, the windows are closed....and quite simply it gets stinky. Adding another airer or two in that room for other laundry to dry is liable to produce a horrible new disease:eek:. As it is, it usually takes the sweaty stuff I have in the morning well into afternoon to dry. We already keep the house warm (20.5), I just figured that getting something to suck the water out of the air for a couple of hours most days would speed the drying process up....and without the slight smell from my yucky clothes.

do you have a tumble dryer? if so have you considered upgrading to a heat pump one. they use so little electric it might be not much in it.. I mean ours uses 1.5kw for a full load.. so thats at today prices 68p to dry an entire load .. if you do smaller loads is cheaper as adapts to the amount needed

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You’ll be shocked how much water it collects.
Don’t use it for drying clothes tho.
It will certainly improve the air quality if you’re putting clothes on radiators.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a dehumidifier, bought from Screwfix for £80- £100.
Its used in the winter mostly and has a setting for drying clothes as well as dehumidify.

We're fortunate that we have a conservatory so washing is hung on airers before wife goes to work and it's dry by the time she gets home.
I have to say though we haven't used it yet this year.
Not sure if it would be too expensive to run what with today's energy costs.
But the answer is yes, very good for drying washing and gets rid of condensation very quickly in conservatory.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I used to own loads of industrial dehumidifiers for hiring out for flooding, drying new plaster work etc.they do a great job but we used to tell customers to use them with all windows, and doors to outside, closed otherwise your be dehumidifying the whole of the world, not just the inside!

Mandofred

Visit site
First things first.......need to buy one of these first....
618V2xkA9cL._AC_SL1400_.jpg

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup we have one as our house had been empty for 8 months before we moved in and it was freezing in June. It removed loads of water and the house warmed up. We've had one ever since. Just bought a Probreeze 20l. It takes out 5litres of water every day.

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We bought a Meaco 20L one form Costco when they were reduced, wish we had bought another as it's amazing the amount of water it collects, you wonder where it comes from.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have to say, I think a quality heat pump dryer is the better option. The running costs between that and a Dehumidifier won’t be that much, and also would be miles better than your current dryer.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We bought a Meaco 20L one form Costco when they were reduced, wish we had bought another as it's amazing the amount of water it collects, you wonder where it comes from.
We have one of these as well. I used to keep it in the caravan to keep it dry. It's really useful for removing damp and it is amazing how much water it takes out. It does have a clothes drying option as well.
I'd agree with keeping the doors and windows closed as well. And they work better in warm conditions.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Is it not possible to install an extractor fan somewhere? Maybe top of the stairs venting through the roof?
in extreme case we have installed Positive input ventilation which draws fresh air from outside in (via a heater) to replace the damp air that is removed by the extractor.