Summer heat / course conditions

D

Deleted member 15344

There’s not many could justify that sort of outlay. The only place I played last year which benefited from all round irrigation was The Oxfordshire. A joy to see green grass last August on a golf course!

If clubs don’t put water onto key areas then the courses are going to be ruined ( bar links ) - got to find ways to keep it going

D

Deleted member 15344

Was £700k for the full course including tees, fairways and greens? We've just replaced our irrigation system and it cost over £1m.

It's still firm and fast though. On Saturday I hit a 6 iron 236 yards on the 1st. The problem was that I was aiming for a pin 186 yards away.

Yep it was £700k for the full course think we added some around some surrounds as well for an extra £50k - it was all sorted etc before Covid and droughts

This is who we used

Think they have just completed Walton Heath and they have done places like Birkdale and Yas Links

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Moray old have just installed fairway irrigation, they got cash from the RAF for something which paid for it. They lost the fairways a few years ago.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Protecting your handicap?

No.

But when it takes over 4 1/2 hours for a 3-ball because you’re looking for at least one ball every hole I lose the will to live.

If you enjoy waiting over every shot because of an appalling pace of play then I’ll leave that one with you.

sunshine

Visit site
Yep it was £700k for the full course think we added some around some surrounds as well for an extra £50k - it was all sorted etc before Covid and droughts

This is who we used

Think they have just completed Walton Heath and they have done places like Birkdale and Yas Links

Good timing! I am guessing you would be looking at double that price if you asked for quotes now.

We used this company who have some pretty good credentials:

Visit site
As long as greens are well maintained and are, well, green, I'm not fussed if fairways are dry as sticks. After all, it's on the green where rounds usually succeed or fail. Tee boxes should have a watering though if necessary.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
203 yard 6 iron, only stopped by a thick collar of rough.

About 5 weeks ago course was so wet it should have been shut, apparently standing water on several greens, mud city everywhere. Not had a drop of rain since and staff hand watering greens. Madness.
Latest head greenies report has 1.5” rain in first ten days of May and not a drop since. We are fortunate in having full course watering and an extraction licence…but we have to be careful as last year we almost used up our annual allowance before Sept came, and so caution this year is the watchword. All bonkers given the Winter drenching we experienced.

We are however also having to look at our irrigation system as it is nearer end of life…when maintenance of it becomes an increasing issue, and we will have to do a replacement in the not too distant future.

D-S

Visit site
Princes looked pretty yellow in the Ladies Amateur Championship coverage. Not a problem normally but for example Burnham and Berrow had final Open qualifying taken away from them this year as their fairways still hadn’t recovered properly from last years drought/high temperature.

D

Deleted member 15344

Princes looked pretty yellow in the Ladies Amateur Championship coverage. Not a problem normally but for example Burnham and Berrow had final Open qualifying taken away from them this year as their fairways still hadn’t recovered properly from last years drought/high temperature.

Even though Princes looks yellow it’s still a good covering of grass - even if it’s dormant , Burnham though lost a lot of the grass and there were big areas of just mud and very thin grass.

D-S

Visit site
Even though Princes looks yellow it’s still a good covering of grass - even if it’s dormant , Burnham though lost a lot of the grass and there were big areas of just mud and very thin grass.
You’re right but Burnham looked exactly like Princes does now back in August. It normally recovers but sometimes as per Burnham last year it just doesn’t.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You’re right but Burnham looked exactly like Princes does now back in August. It normally recovers but sometimes as per Burnham last year it just doesn’t.
I’m playing North Hants tomorrow. I’m keen to see how their fairways are as I played there last year towards the end of the very hot and dry period and they were not in the best of states, in fact they were really struggling to hold themselves together - I was surprised.

D-S

Visit site
I’m playing North Hants tomorrow. I’m keen to see how their fairways are as I played there last year towards the end of the very hot and dry period and they were not in the best of states, in fact they were really struggling to hold themselves together - I was surprised.
I think last year the issue was the extreme heat not just the lack of rain, however this year the lack of rain seems very early and if we get extreme hot spells, this could some major problems or, knowing our climate, it could be a wet, cold summer to come.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think last year the issue was the extreme heat not just the lack of rain, however this year the lack of rain seems very early and if we get extreme hot spells, this could some major problems or, knowing our climate, it could be a wet, cold summer to come.
…plus the ever present very dry and drying northerly wind.

Reactions: D-S

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of courses we have worked on this year havnt really recovered from last year . Inc my own club.
A lot will take a very long time to recover.
we need steady drizzle not deluges.