The Cricket Thread

D

Deleted member 15344

Pietersen deciding that the Hundred is that successful they should follow it with a red ball format to make the test team more successful- 8 red ball franchise teams to mirror the 100

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pietersen deciding that the Hundred is that successful they should follow it with a red ball format to make the test team more successful- 8 red ball franchise teams to mirror the 100

But what is success in this instance? And what is 'quality' in T20 tournaments? I dont think this has ever been refined as its never really become clear whether T20 cricket is just a format for making money / entertaining people or whether it's a format that can be taken seriously. Other than the World Cup the rest of the time matches / series / tournaments are primarily about cashing in and entertaining big crowds. Thus, the order of the day is media friendly players and plenty of sixes being hit. How do you judge whether a match is of quality when those are the two parameters? Is a game of higher 'quality' if the match is a low scoring, edge of the seat contest or is it of higher 'quality' if there are sixes galore and one team wins convincingly? Something between the two is probably the ideal. Morgan has already claimed that the 100 is better than the Blast but no-one has questioned how this is judged. Or is quality just a euphemism for more entertaining?

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Watched my first match for 2 years yesterday.
Worcs v Mx at New Rd.

Still long for the old days of the 3 day county championship and Boycott and his like taking 6 hours to make a century.
Only six hours, that’s Boycott in a hurry.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Only six hours, that’s Boycott in a hurry.

Still better than the format today which only encourages smash and grab.
So here's how he did it:

Wait for the bowler to get tired then pick off the long hops and the juicy half volleys.
If you don't fancy the bowler take a quick single then get down the other end.
If that's not possible drop a dead bat on it.
Never hit the ball up in the air. You could get caught.
15 minutes before an interval break and close of play, shut up shop. You need to be there when play resumes.
Protect your average at all costs. In a run out hesitancy, make sure it's your partner who walks off.

Ah, what class!

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Still better than the format today which only encourages smash and grab.
So here's how he did it:

Wait for the bowler to get tired then pick off the long hops and the juicy half volleys.
If you don't fancy the bowler take a quick single then get down the other end.
If that's not possible drop a dead bat on it.
Never hit the ball up in the air. You could get caught.
15 minutes before an interval break and close of play, shut up shop. You need to be there when play resumes.
Protect your average at all costs. In a run out hesitancy, make sure it's you partner who walks off.

Ah, what class!
I've had a good chuckle about that, summed him up perfectly.

I once played in a team with a guy who had the same philosophy. Funnily enough no one liked him, no one liked batting with him but he didn't care. As long as his average was okay that is all that mattered to him. Horrible little man.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I remember Sir G famously running out my hero "Derek Randall" on his home ground. He didn't give a stuff... but England were always harder to beat with him in the team.

The Franchise Teams are a joke. Meaningless. Bit like Regional Rugby down here. No self respecting Ponty Fan is going to watch a Franchise at Rodney Parade! "That's Newport in a different shirt, that is!!"

Daft graphics on the screen. Next week, it's "THE FIFTY" - cos 100 balls is like, literally too many balls to like concentrate on like. Good grief!

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I remember Sir G famously running out my hero "Derek Randall" on his home ground.

Yes but shouldn't he have won an Oscar for his sad reflection on running out Rags Randall?

Another story I like about GB is his relationship with Ian Botham.
In NZ and with England in with a great chance of winning the game but with time running out, Boycott was shutting up shop.
Then his partner was out and in came Beefy and soon deliberately ran out Boycott.
Walking off, he turned to Botham and complained: 'What about my average!?'

Fast forward a few years and Boycott in the commentary box made a statement about Botham's weight.
Then it was Beefy's turn to get upset.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Am guessing the trent bridge track isnt as dry as all the others have been recently assuming we dont need a spinner yet again, eggs in the "its going to rain" basket it seems

No surprise to see ginger balls back having played exactly zero county champ games since failing in India sigh, whatever happened to go back and get some county runs lol

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am guessing the trent bridge track isnt as dry as all the others have been recently assuming we dont need a spinner yet again, eggs in the "its going to rain" basket it seems

No surprise to see ginger balls back having played exactly zero county champ games since failing in India sigh, whatever happened to go back and get some county runs lol

Hard to believe that Bairstow has won 75 caps, which for anyone else would be deemed a senior player, but Bairstow has never looked like a senior player either with bat or in terms of attitude. Always looks like a callow rookie, particularly with the occasional petulant displays.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A turgid watch this morning. 65 runs in a session does not win test matches.

But its better than being 90-4. This Indian bowling attack is top notch and deserves respect.

Of course, if England go on to collapse in a heap, which is highly likely, then that will be null and void. But if they end the day on 270-4, for instance, then that first session will be justified.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I understand what you’re saying, of course, but the scoreboard has to keep ticking over. A tortuous run rate, quite aside from being truly awful to watch, only heaps pressure on the batting side, making the sort of collapse you’re talking about ever more likely.

This is England of the 90’s revisited.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some things don’t change….

First Test of the series and England failing with the bat
Opening partnership failure
Joe Root the one holding it together
Bairstow out in a predictable manner
Buttler still looking like a white ball player
India a very tidy side

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shock of the century a team of white ball players and sub standard red ball ones whove not played any red ball cricket for 4 weeks getting rolled by a decent attack