The Cricket Thread

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What annoyed me most is that they didn't separate the live text commentary of the Women's test match and that of the NZ v India game. The updates were India 73-1 and then India 128-4 (just made those numbers up) but you couldn't just get one or the other. I had no interest in what was happening in the women's test match but to see what was happening in the men's NZ v India test I had to click on the link that had both. The cynic in me thinks that this is so BBC Sport can inflate the numbers of those that were interested in the women's game.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cricket like Golf keeps shooting itself in its foot.. Why oh Why, dont they start a match day early?
It make sense to start early rather than extending the end of the day play given that the light fades early here. Someone needs to think beyond old rule books.

If the old argument is TV revenues.. then in this case the base audience in India and NZ are timezones ahead of the UK.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cricket like Golf keeps shooting itself in its foot.. Why oh Why, dont they start a match day early?
It make sense to start early rather than extending the end of the day play given that the light fades early here. Someone needs to think beyond old rule books.

If the old argument is TV revenues.. then in this case the base audience in India and NZ are timezones ahead of the UK.

Nothing to do with tv times, more to do with moisture in English pitches and bar the middle of summer if you play too early in the morning you give the bowling side a massive advantage. Agree they need to be more flexible as to when they do and dont play but early starts in England in the main arent a good idea

Bit harsh to be too critical when they cant get a game done in 6 days not 5 when its basically rained for half the match. Theyd be better off focussing on making sure they bowl overs at a proper rate when they do play and finding a way to play more in poor light. Getitng dark early also a function of the days weather, some days lately you could have played at 9pm :)

PS its raining again this morning ;)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nothing to do with tv times, more to do with moisture in English pitches and bar the middle of summer if you play too early in the morning you give the bowling side a massive advantage. Agree they need to be more flexible as to when they do and dont play but early starts in England in the main arent a good idea

Bit harsh to be too critical when they cant get a game done in 6 days not 5 when its basically rained for half the match. Theyd be better off focussing on making sure they bowl overs at a proper rate when they do play and finding a way to play more in poor light. Getitng dark early also a function of the days weather, some days lately you could have played at 9pm :)

PS its raining again this morning ;)

Given all the rain we had, i am assuming they would have super soakers going around. Why wait for nature to take care of the dew. keep pitch under cover and use a soaker/rope to pick up the dew..

Switched on to watch the match during lunch... saw Shami get Taylor out... then a series of maiden overs and bingo.. 2 more gone. Brilliant test match bowling. From cricinfo ""India have already bowled 29 maidens to NZ, they faced 33 in their entire innings..." observes Rajeev, "talking about creating pressure. "

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Given all the rain we had, i am assuming they would have super soakers going around. Why wait for nature to take care of the dew. keep pitch under cover and use a soaker/rope to pick up the dew..

Switched on to watch the match during lunch... saw Shami get Taylor out... then a series of maiden overs and bingo.. 2 more gone. Brilliant test match bowling. From cricinfo ""India have already bowled 29 maidens to NZ, they faced 33 in their entire innings..." observes Rajeev, "talking about creating pressure. "

Nothing to do with the outfield and ropes/supersoppers etc its to do with the wicket and the difference some moisture in the surface makes. And keeping the pitch covered increases that moisture in the wicket. If you want to face someone at 90mph on one thats got a bit too much moisture in it be my guest :)

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
me think match is in an interesting space at the moment... cant see India win this.. a few quick wickets in the morning and Kiwis will go after it like an ODI..

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well that it … this is a kiwi game.. they have been a great team. Well deserved (esp after the ODI WC)

If India can draw this (unlikely) then they both deserve a medal. Indians may be doing a rain dance today.

Good batting conditions today… so who knows..

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well that it … this is a kiwi game.. they have been a great team. Well deserved (esp after the ODI WC)

If India can draw this (unlikely) then they both deserve a medal. Indians may be doing a rain dance today.

Good batting conditions today… so who knows..

draw still big favourite, wont be if Jadeja succeeds in running a couple out though lol

if you like test cricket the first hour after lunch at least should be fascinating viewing

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pant & Jadeja v/s Jamison after lunch.. agree, set up for a good contest..

Can someone remove boring Gavaskar from commentary... Put DK on..

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i am sure the Board of Corrupt Cricket India will no doubt raise a complaint about something and try and get result overturned

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s kiwi day today.. if India win or draw this, it will be a miracle.. I will drink an extra pint if that happens

My only gripe is that we have only 1 match to decide a winner… a 3 match series would have been ideal. Also takes weather out of the equation.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Great result for we Kiwis!
Surprised that India collapsed today. Though, as I've been reminded by a mate, their record in England is pretty dire while English conditions suit NZ teams pretty well!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Great result for we Kiwis!
Surprised that India collapsed today. Though, as I've been reminded by a mate, their record in England is pretty dire while English conditions suit NZ teams pretty well!

conditions to suit, albeit their record in england very similar to Indias!

maybe more series should be played on neutral grounds, england v south africa in India seems a decent idea :)