CR-Par

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Australia has always used CR-Par.

They have no Course Handicap.

They go straight from their Handicap Index, which they call GA Handicap, to their playing handicap for individual strokeplay, which they call Daily Handicap.
They use 93% not 95%.
What we call Course Rating, they call Scratch Rating.

Ozzie Playing Handicap.jpg

And to calculate score differential... ("Universal"?)

Ozzie Differential.jpg

And they were doing this before UK implemented WHS.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Can the rest of us, who have no idea what is being talked about, just turn up, whack the ball, write down how many whacks, have a cup of tea afterwards?
Absolutely. And the tea might taste a little sweeter after finishing a difficult course, and adding those 2 or 3 extra Stableford points to your score, 37 points sounding much nicer than 33 :)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
On Saturday, get everyone in the country to add 2 shots to their handicap, but calculate score differentials the same way.

"Hey everyone! You are all going to find golf much easier today. You are all going to get 2 extra shots. Enjoy!" :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
On Saturday, get everyone in the country to add 2 shots to their handicap, but calculate score differentials the same way.

"Hey everyone! You are all going to find golf much easier today. You are all going to get 2 extra shots. Enjoy!" :LOL::LOL::LOL:
You seem quite stressed out about this, for someone who has openly admitted it would make no difference to you :D . Or at least, extremely interested in the discussion.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
You seem quite stressed out about this, for someone who has openly admitted it would make no difference to you :D . Or at least, extremely interested in the discussion.
I can assure you that I am not stressed in any way whatsoever.
I am interested in the discussion.
Some of it is very amusing.

D-S

Visit site
Did they explain why they were going to do this?
To bring us into line with the rest of the world and to enable golfers to have CH handicaps that fully reflect the difficulty or ease of the course that they are playing (rather than the partial one that the current slope only calculation gives, which of course has less effect the lower the handicap index).

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just worked out the new Course Handicap for all indices from 0 to 25. EDIT: forgot to say, this was my home course

The lower indexes definitely get a little boost over the 'old' calculation. Higher indices get it to, but seems to be a bit of a smaller extent.

Off my index of 2, I would now receive 4 shots (instead of 2) (stays at 4 with 95%)

A 10 index player would have got 12, but now 13 (12 at 95%)

a 20 index player would have got 24, but now 25 (24 at 95%)

Will be intrigued to see if folks start to move to play tee boxes (where possible) that have a CR higher than par.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site

Well actually many players will have significantly lower course handicaps when this is introduced (especially on shortened winter courses) e.g. my CH off the tees I will be playing on Saturday will be 5 but with CR-Par it will be 2, equally my white tee ch is currently 5 but will be 7.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Im a little confused as to what this achieves, our CR is almost 2 below par... will people get less shots?

Voyager EMH

Visit site
To bring us into line with the rest of the world and to enable golfers to have CH handicaps that fully reflect the difficulty or ease of the course that they are playing (rather than the partial one that the current slope only calculation gives, which of course has less effect the lower the handicap index).
Handicaps reflect the relative differences between us, the players.
The difficulty or ease of the course is reflected in the course ratings and slope ratings.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Im a little confused as to what this achieves, our CR is almost 2 below par... will people get less shots?

simply put…yes

a 10 index on a par 72 course, with a CR of 70 and slope of 113 on the ‘old’ calculation would get 10 shots.

the new calculation would give them 8