Courses you have played this year?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interested to know the answer to these questions?

For me these are my answers -

Toughest - Alwoodley - If you missed the fairway it was tough to find your ball and it was blowing an absolute gale
Best Greens - Ealing - best greens in the country
Overall Condition - The Astbury - whilst not as good as the other courses, the conditioning was flawless
Most Enjoyable - Moortown - loved every second of it
Overall Best - Notts - This golf course is exceptional from start to finish. Everyone should make the effort to go and play there.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not played too many this year, but:

Toughest - Oceanico Faldo
Best Greens - Brabazon
Overall condition - Kedleston Park
Most enjoyable - Camberley Heath
Overall best - Vilamoura Old Course

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Here's my two-penneth

Toughest: Gullane #1, constant 50mph 'breeze' into your face.
Best Greens: Royal Wimbledon - thanks to GM got to play there, greens looked a bit patchy from afar, but were extremely fast and true
Overall Condition: Gullane #1 It was only a month or so before they played the Scottish Open there
Most Enjoyable: Gullane #1 Had a smile on my face from the moment we drove up all the way through to hitting Edinburgh that night.
Overall Best: Gullane #1, best course I've played in Scotland so far, can't wait to do #1 and #2 on the same day in a year or so.

Notable mentions: Alwoodly - Great course, wonderful routing and presentation, really enjoyed it there and will be back. Delamere Forest - Again, wonderful condition, great fun course. Silloth - 3rd year we've been back and doesn't fail to disappoint, £ for £ the best value course I've ever played.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's my two-penneth

Toughest: Gullane #1, constant 50mph 'breeze' into your face.
Best Greens: Royal Wimbledon - thanks to GM got to play there, greens looked a bit patchy from afar, but were extremely fast and true
Overall Condition: Gullane #1 It was only a month or so before they played the Scottish Open there
Most Enjoyable: Gullane #1 Had a smile on my face from the moment we drove up all the way through to hitting Edinburgh that night.
Overall Best: Gullane #1, best course I've played in Scotland so far, can't wait to do #1 and #2 on the same day in a year or so.

Notable mentions: Alwoodly - Great course, wonderful routing and presentation, really enjoyed it there and will be back. Delamere Forest - Again, wonderful condition, great fun course. Silloth - 3rd year we've been back and doesn't fail to disappoint, £ for £ the best value course I've ever played.

Liked Gullane then? :D

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mmmm not easy, played some good courses this year

Toughest- hard to split Aberdovey due to the horrific weather and Castle Course with the greens
Best Greens - St Anne's old Links. Always an absolute joy to putt on
Overall Condition - Southport & Ainsdale
Most Enjoyable - New Course. One of my favourite places in the world to play golf
Overall Best - Probably the New course, honourable mentions to Castle Course and Southport & Ainsdale.

Last edited:

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Toughest Glasgow Gailes - Off the whites and with a nasty wee Ayrshire 'breeze'. I'd played it before (off the yellows) but adding length and wind made for a tough day on the links (I am sure the greens shrink in size the more the wind picks up)

Best Greens Gullane #1 - Two weeks after the Scottish Open. I was lucky enough to play all three this summer ( #1 twice) but that soon after a Tour event the greens were nothing short of immense !

Most Enjoyable The National (Belek) - Although not the longest or most modern in Belek, it was a treat to play. Almost had a 'mini Augusta' feel to it and I played some of the best golf of the year that day. Early morning and first out for some great solo golf.

Overall Best Archerfield Fidra - I was very fortunate to be invited to play in The Scottish Seniors Pro -Am. Our pro was Santiago Lima - what a gent!! The whole day was a "Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory" experience. Golfing and sporting greats ahoy, however 18 holes with Santiago telling storied of being on tour with Seve whilst truly educating us about golf was a once in a lifetime treat. Winning was an unexpected surprise, especially as Sam Torrance and Mark James nodded their approval as our team collected our prizes.

Notable Mentions The cherry on top to 2015 may well be this coming Saturday when I tee it up at Loch Lomond GC. The forecast is for rain, but nothing will dampen my spirits. Been a social guest there previously, but never played. To say I am excited is an understatement. A fitting finale to a very fortunate year of golfing.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Toughest: Royal Lytham- Only played it off the daily tees at 6300-400 yards with little wind for most of the round, but it was impossible to miss the bunkers as everything fed towards them.
Best Greens: St Annes Old Links- From the practice green to the 18th the greens were all the same pace and rolled beautifully (apart from the 9th which was hollowtined)
Most Enjoyable:St Annes Old Links- It's a great course with a good mix of holes which are nicely defined and only cost £40 to play on a balmy October's day.
Overall Best: Assoufid (Morocco)- Great desert style course with lost of elevation changes and a great variety of holes, it was in excellent condition as well.
Most Disappointing: Royal Lytham:- Cost "only" £135 but all of the greens had recently been spiked and sanded so putting & chipping were a hit and hope exercise, I found a lot of the holes samey and there didn't seem to be much definition to the holes apart from the bunkers. There were too many bunkers for my liking at times it was pure luck whether you went into them and sometimes you could have no shot to get out. There's no doubt that its a test of golf but it doesn't seem to reward good play

jdpjamesp

Q-School Graduate
www.jdpalmer.co.uk
Only just started this year, but here's my list...

Toughest -
Windermere - Feels like you're walking up hill all the time. Lots of blind drives
Best Greens - Staining Lodge - A little inconsistent on the back nine but the front nine really good considering the course in question!
Overall Condition - Windermere
Most Enjoyable - Ashton Golf Centre - Yeah it's pretty poor condition but great to just get out and hit 9 holes.
Overall Best - Staining Lodge because it's very welcoming to the beginner.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Toughest - Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin - Blue tees with a tough breeze in the Lincs Amateur. I busted an arrow straight drive on par 5 6th into the breeze and only cleared the carry by 20yds. Some didn't even carry the heather, same on the 7th hole which is the hardest tee shot off the blues on the course. You've not played the Hotchkin till you play off the blues.

Best Greens - Sherwood Forest in the Portland Pairs

Most Enjoyable - PGA Centenary Gleneagles, great course, condition, set up and great company and my game was on that day.

Overall Best - PGA Centenary Gleneagles - Great day.

Most Disappointing - Hollingwell in Pro Am, played it numerous times and still think it's got some stupid layout holes, and I birdied 13th and pitched in for eagle on 14th.........

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Toughest -
Because of the weather that August day - Goswick - lashing with rain and blowing a hoolie
Best Greens - North Berwick West Links a few weeks ago - perfect
Overall Condition -
Gullane Nr 1 just after the Scottish Open
Most Enjoyable -
Dundonald, great layout on a great sunny day
Overall Best -
Since I haven't played at Dornoch this year I have to go for my home track N.B.W.L. - sorry but I'm biased.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
only played a few this year.. enjoyed all of them not sure i would be able to rate in order.

Of course im talking about new courses Ive played for the first time.

Dunbar.
Old meldrum
Gullane No 2
Glasgow Gails

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Toughest – Machrihanish Dunes, blowing a gale, blind shots. Great course though

Best Greens – Prestwick St Nicholas – Great nick, fast and true and slight breaks rather than overly slopey

Overall Condition – Pollok – First time I have played it and it was in amazing condition. Greens were superb

Most Enjoyable – Eastwood – My own course.

Overall Best – Glasgow Gailes – A 4 club wind, rain, hail, sleet and more rain. But a great layout and loved every minute

Some other good courses played that never got a mention!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Toughest - The Address Montgomerie, Dubai
Best Greens - Smurfitt course, The K Club, Ireland
Overall condition - Marina Bay GC, Singapore
Most enjoyable - Santa Clara, Marbella, Spain
Overall best - Marina Bay GC

Haven't played many other courses this year, so limited choice.

I can't recommend Marina Bay highly enough. Wonderful course that will close in 2019.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toughest - Woodhall Spa - Hotchkin - Blue tees with a tough breeze in the Lincs Amateur. I busted an arrow straight drive on par 5 6th into the breeze and only cleared the carry by 20yds. Some didn't even carry the heather, same on the 7th hole which is the hardest tee shot off the blues on the course. You've not played the Hotchkin till you play off the blues.

Best Greens - Sherwood Forest in the Portland Pairs

Most Enjoyable - PGA Centenary Gleneagles, great course, condition, set up and great company and my game was on that day.

Overall Best - PGA Centenary Gleneagles - Great day.

Most Disappointing - Hollingwell in Pro Am, played it numerous times and still think it's got some stupid layout holes, and I birdied 13th and pitched in for eagle on 14th.........

Hollinwell as in Notts? If so, that's crazy. It's an unbelievable golf course.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't divide it up any more than:

Honourable mentions - Nairn, Glasgow Gailes, Dundonald

Wooden spoon - the so-called summer weather

Overall best - It has to be The Old Course, playing with all the grandstands up for the Open. It's spine tingling thinking about it even now.

Matty2803

Head Pro
Visit site
Toughest - Muirfield
Best Greens - Nairn
Overall Condition - Edzell
Most Enjoyable and Overall best - Gleneagles PGA Centenery

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Toughest - The Address Montgomerie, Dubai
Best Greens - St George's Hill
Overall condition - Marina Bay GC, Singapore
Most enjoyable - Santa Clara, Marbella, Spain
Overall best - Marina Bay GC

Haven't played many other courses this year, so limited choice.

I can't recommend Marina Bay highly enough. Wonderful course that will close in 2019.

I can't believe I forget two quality courses I've played this year! St George's Hill certainly had the best greens, and Liphook was a very pretty course, but doesn't get to top those categories.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My choices are a lot more modest that most it appears!

Toughest - Portsmouth. Brutal in a strong breeze.
Best Greens - Winter Hill. In fabulous condition.
Overall Condition - Winter Hill again.
Most Enjoyable - Furzeley. Its a very short, very quirky course but it has got into my heart and i loved it.
Overall Best - Winter Hill. Had 36 holes there last week in lovely weather. A cracking day.

D

Deleted member 15344

Toughest - Duchess

Best Greens - Leighton Buzzard

Overall Condition - Bearwood Lakes

Most Enjoyable - Hoylake

Overall Best - The Berkshire

Honourable Mentions - Aldwoodly , Centurion , Littlestone