Courses you have played this year?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hollinwell as in Notts? If so, that's crazy. It's an unbelievable golf course.

Yep the one and only. I just find it bizarre layout, blind tee shots, blind 2nd shots, not that I'm adverse to blind shots in anyway but there is quite a few. Some good holes like 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 18 but the stretch 10, 11 (ridiculous) 12 (even worse) 15 (2nd shot, stupid) 17 (tee shot, got no idea where to go) I just can't get on with at all.

I find Ganton the same. Sorry.

Id play Sherwood Forest all day every day and it beats me to a pulp ever time I play it. But it's far more enjoyable........to me anyway.

But im glad you like Hollinwell.

keithc33

Hacker
Visit site
Let me think.....

Toughest - St Annes Old Links - worst wind I have ever played in but what a fantastic course
Best Greens - Royal Lytham....super fast
Overall Condition - Hunting at Slaley Hall, fairways were like carpets
Most Enjoyable - Lancaster Golf Club, always love playing there.
Overall Best - Hunting at Slaley Hall, already planning my next trip there, staff were great, good facilities and both courses are great

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toughest- Castle Course . Advice from the starter was "... and if you miss the fairway then... well, just don't, just don't!!" And she was right.
Best Greens - Gleneagles Kings
Overall Condition - Gleneagles Kings
Most Enjoyable - Wimbledon Common. Not the best course by any means but playing my best golf ever there a few days ago, how could I not enjoy it hugely.
Overall Best - Castle edges it I think - thoroughly enjoyed the course, location, the facilities - all at a decent price (especially with the St.A Golf pass)

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From this year I guess...

Toughest - Silloth - When you're reduced to playing "Who can reach the fairway" into the wind, you know you have your work cut out.
Best Greens - St Annes Old Links - perfection.
Overall Condition - Hillside - Just edges SAOL. Can't remember any flaws other than the greens being bloody hard to read!
Most Enjoyable - Seacroft - Round ended early due to 'dehydration'. That i enjoyed the 13 holes I managed to play so much, despite feeling like throwing, testimony to the fun factor. Want to go back.
Overall Best - Aberdovey - Balances challenge and playability brilliantly. 4 Hours of solitary bliss on a balmy late August evening.

A very honourable mention to Seaton Carew, could fit into all categories. A very fair links that gives as much as it takes. Had a brilliant day out there

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep the one and only. I just find it bizarre layout, blind tee shots, blind 2nd shots, not that I'm adverse to blind shots in anyway but there is quite a few. Some good holes like 3, 4, 7, 8, 9, and 18 but the stretch 10, 11 (ridiculous) 12 (even worse) 15 (2nd shot, stupid) 17 (tee shot, got no idea where to go) I just can't get on with at all.

I find Ganton the same. Sorry.

Id play Sherwood Forest all day every day and it beats me to a pulp ever time I play it. But it's far more enjoyable........to me anyway.

But im glad you like Hollinwell.

Sherwood pushed for my enjoyable to me,loved it.

10,11 and 12 are great holes! There's also only 1 blind tee shot on the whole course - 10th?

What don't you like about the 11th a positional tee shot followed by an accurate 2nd?

I can see what your saying about 15, as if you miss the green you're pretty much dead but 17 is a simple tee shot? Either hit it over the bunkers or play to the right of them?

Disliking Ganton too ..... Wow. Surprising considering how much you like woodhall.

That's the great thing about golf courses, they divide opinion. One that I just don't get is West Sussex. Top 20 in England apparently

keithc33

Hacker
Visit site
Changed my mind, most enjoyable has to be Windermere, played there in the Hospice charity day, it's a hell of a walk but what a great day. Views were stunning on some holes and everyone there made us very welcome, looking forward to going back next year

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Every category has to be Trump, wonderful days golf.

Second most enjoyable was Holtye in East Sussex, quirky 2 loops of 9 just love playing there.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Tough one this as I played 2 bucket list courses, the Old course and Pinehurst #2 Either of them could be my most enjoyable.

Best greens and toughest course this year both go to St Enodoc, I can't think of a harder par 69 off the back tees and the greens were superb.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
Toughest - Oceanico Faldo. So punishing if you are just slightly off line, running through greens by 6 foot and find yourself in an unplayable position. Probably didn't help being in Cats until 4am the night before.

Best Greens - Woburn Duke's

Most Enjoyable - Victoria - Played it three weeks ago, the day before it was shut for the run up to the Portugal Masters. Loved every second of it, the rough was being grown up thick, the fairways were perfect, the greens were much improved on last time I played them and probably quicker than what the pros played after watching it on TV.

Overall Best - Woburn Duke's Course - Woburn is an amazing complex and the course was just out of this world, stunning landscape and some excellent holes. Would recommend anybody go and play there, I really want to go back and play the other 2 courses.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sherwood pushed for my enjoyable to me,loved it.

10,11 and 12 are great holes! There's also only 1 blind tee shot on the whole course - 10th?

What don't you like about the 11th a positional tee shot followed by an accurate 2nd?

I can see what your saying about 15, as if you miss the green you're pretty much dead but 17 is a simple tee shot? Either hit it over the bunkers or play to the right of them?

Disliking Ganton too ..... Wow. Surprising considering how much you like woodhall.

That's the great thing about golf courses, they divide opinion. One that I just don't get is West Sussex. Top 20 in England apparently

Never played any courses in Sussex or Surrey, would like to one day.

6th par 5 is sort of blindish over the hill, 10 yes, 11 is as thin as a butchers pencil, you can hit the fairway but still have a stance that causes havoc with your 2nd shot into a narrow entrance but at least it's a shortish iron in unlike 15, 12 is blind tee shot (pending which tee you play from) then 2nd is blind if your in the dip. 17 doesn't suit my eye.

Yep and your right it divides opinion and it depends what suits your game.

I played Ganton in the mid am tour last year, and I'm struggling to remember the back 9 holes TBH and I played it twice plus a practice round. What do they say about a good course?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toughest - Alwoodley, probably because I played really really bad.
Best Greens - St Anne's Old Links
Overall Condition - Wallasey and SAOL are always in immaculate condition. Aphrodite Hills in Cyprus was also superb.
Most Enjoyable - Formby - Tranquil, Peaceful,
Overall Best - New Course, I'm blinded a little by my first St Andrews experience, but the whole place blew me away.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toughest - Peterborough Milton, greens were awful .
Best Greens - Sandwell Park - Just a pleasure to play on .
Overall Condition - The Astbury - Exceptional presentation, but doesn't get a lot of traffic.
Most Enjoyable - Hillside - loved every second of it with 3 reprobates , you know who you are ;)
Overall Best - Rebetz in France, a truly fantastic parkland course to end our hols on .

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played too many this year, but:

Toughest - Oceanico Faldo
Best Greens - Brabazon
Overall condition - Kedleston Park
Most enjoyable - Camberley Heath
Overall best - Vilamoura Old Course

I can imagine Faldo is very tough for men, for me off the red tees, I didn't think it too bad, in fact I thought some of the tees were too far forward, There were a couple of tough holes on the back nine though. I wouldn't like to carry a bag around it either.

Vilamoura Old course is a stunner, only let down of the red tees at least by the 18th.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Never played any courses in Sussex or Surrey, would like to one day.

6th par 5 is sort of blindish over the hill, 10 yes, 11 is as thin as a butchers pencil, you can hit the fairway but still have a stance that causes havoc with your 2nd shot into a narrow entrance but at least it's a shortish iron in unlike 15, 12 is blind tee shot (pending which tee you play from) then 2nd is blind if your in the dip. 17 doesn't suit my eye.

Yep and your right it divides opinion and it depends what suits your game.

I played Ganton in the mid am tour last year, and I'm struggling to remember the back 9 holes TBH and I played it twice plus a practice round. What do they say about a good course?

It's a better course off the back, 6 and 12 are definitely not blind, and hitting it too far to get down the mound on 12 is just bad course management.

Ganton is one of those courses that doesn't feel like it whilst your out there but when I left and reflected I just thought - wow.

IM01

Challenge Tour Pro
www.goswicklinksgc.co.uk
Toughest - Monte Rei - generous off the tee but some tough holes
Best Greens - Monte Rei - True and quick
Overall Condition - Monte Rei - Flawless
Most Enjoyable - Monte Rei - loved every second of it and nobody else on the course
Overall Best - Monte Rei - a must play...we played on the twilight rate of 135euros:eek:

Most Disappointing - Quinta da Lago North - not a patch on Monte Rei for the same money

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Toughest - Monte Rei - generous off the tee but some tough holes
Best Greens - Monte Rei - True and quick
Overall Condition - Monte Rei - Flawless
Most Enjoyable - Monte Rei - loved every second of it and nobody else on the course
Overall Best - Monte Rei - a must play...we played on the twilight rate of 135euros:eek:

Most Disappointing - Quinta da Lago North - not a patch on Monte Rei for the same money

have you only played Monte Rei?:rofl::rofl:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toughest - Carnoustie.... those last two holes - yikes!
Best Greens - Luffness New
Overall Condition - Gullane #1
Most Enjoyable - Monifeith
Overall Best - Carnoustie

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Toughest - La Reserva
Best Greens - Saunton
Overall Condition - Hankley Common
Most Enjoyable - valderamma
Overall Best - St Enedoc

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the best courses I've played in 2015 are.

Frilford Heath - Blue. Superb
Camberley Heath - Just Loved it to bits
Farnham Sands - Tremendous
The Berkshire - Red. Complete delight

Blackmoor (2014) But had to include as thought it was brill too

Couldn't really rate them by toughest etc. but loved every minute of every round on 'em all :cool:

Playing Hayling Island this weekend and really looking forward to it.

Last edited: