Courses you have played this year?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Toughest - Carnoustie. The last few holes are so hard. 17 is a "joke", and totally unfair. I was 3 over at the turn but dropped 10 strokes in the last 5 holes.

Best greens - Gifford Golf Club. A super 9 hole course in East Lothian.

Most enjoyable - St Andrews Old Course. Played last week for the first time. Magical. Close second would be Grantown-on-Spey.

Overall condition - Old Course. Amazing condition especially given the number of people playing it. Hardly a divot to be found except those recently filled.

Most disappointing - too polite to say plus I have enjoyed all my golf this year.

For me 17 is a frustrating hole, certainly from the red tees, and a bit of a waste of what should be a great hole. At an absolute push, if I nailed it, I could maybe carry the burn but I'd be daft to try that in a comp so need to lay up short of the burn, which leaves something like 230+ to the green and virtually no chance of getting there. IMO it'd be better with either the tee moved up 20 yards to make it worth taking on the burn or further back and make it a par 5. As it stands very few amateur females, only the very longest hitters, have any chance of hitting that green in 2. Into the wind? Nobody is getting anywhere near.

Tough course - I shot 86 playing off 4 and was in my buffer - CSS was 81!!!!

Driving the burn is the key, maybe I'll take it on next year! But the very impressive, big hitting, swede I played with went for it and didn't make the carry this year.

Oh, was actually CSS 80 when I played. I had a stableford adjustment as well.

first time i played it was the day after the Scottish Ladies Amateur and the starter said the course was playing tough, but found it not too bad, unless you were really wayward. we played right off the very back tee's as well as when the started asked our handicaps. the guy who booking it was was off +1 and the other two guys were 3 and 1.... he didn't bother asking me:rofl: so said play off where you like.

Only hole ive had trouble with both times was 15, hit poor drive both times.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Feeling left out on this one as, for many non-golf reasons, I have not been out and about much this year and naming my own club in all categories is a bit pointless :(

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only played a handful of courses this year thanks to a growing family.

Toughest without doubt was the 36 hole open at Fortrose & Rosemarkie, in weather that made standing up a challenge let alone trying to swing a golf club and connect with a wee white ball.

Best greens - probably my home club, I've not played any better in the last two or three years when they're peaking.

Overall condition - Kilspindie, first time I've played it in the summer - great to see so many of the winter projects i.e. bunker building, paying off.

Most enjoyable - It's not been a great year score wise (less golf + zero practice = handicap on steady rise), however with a few exceptions (scoring in the 90s...) I've enjoyed the chance to get out fortnightly and enjoy my golf. Have had the waterproof trousers on once this year, and the shorts have been out aplenty - so plenty to be thankful for.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
first time i played it was the day after the Scottish Ladies Amateur and the starter said the course was playing tough, but found it not too bad, unless you were really wayward. we played right off the very back tee's as well as when the started asked our handicaps. the guy who booking it was was off +1 and the other two guys were 3 and 1.... he didn't bother asking me:rofl: so said play off where you like.

Only hole ive had trouble with both times was 15, hit poor drive both times.

It's a tough finish. 15 is nasty if you're wayward off the tee. Even with a good drive the second shot needs to be spot on but you're really struggling if you are out of position.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mostly played course's close to me so many of you may not know them.

Toughest - Alwoodley - such an amazing course but tough going for a high HC like me but thoroughly enjoyed everything about it.

Best Greens - Bradford GC last week, absolutely true and ran really well.

Overall Condition - Probably Alwoodley but again Bradford was in top condition especially for this time of year.

Most enjoyable - won't mention Alwoodley again so it would have to be Formby Hall on our annual golf trip in the summer. Horrendous weather but there was 22 of us that went for 2 days of golf and a couple of drinks at night too. Course was in excellent condition despite all the rain and we were treated really well.

D

Deleted member 17920

Havent played too many new courses this year as I am now confirmed with the been crap at golf syndrome and have lost the will to live.

Toughest
- Silloth yet again, course beats the living daylights out me but I would love to join there as a country member at some point.

Best Greens - St Annes Old Links, just love playing here and the greens are just so smooth and true.

Overall Condition - Hotchkin by a mile, its been in fantastic condition from the start of April.

Best value for money- Beedles lake in an open last week £15 inc bacon roll and coffee for a course with good greens and a joy to play.

Most Enjoyable - Blackmoor. What a fantastic course.

Overall Best Without been biased, Got to be Silloth for me although Alwoodley comes 2nd.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mmmm not easy, played some good courses this year

Toughest- hard to split Aberdovey due to the horrific weather and Castle Course with the greens
Best Greens - St Anne's old Links. Always an absolute joy to putt on
Overall Condition - Southport & Ainsdale
Most Enjoyable - New Course. One of my favourite places in the world to play golf
Overall Best - Probably the New course, honourable mentions to Castle Course and Southport & Ainsdale.

I'd forgotten I'd played Formby this year, thought it was last year for some reason.

Close to being the Best course, I absolutely loved it and can't wait to go back, my favourite of the ones I've played down that coast (Birkdale to go which is imagine will beat it!!)

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Toughest - The National @ Vale of Glamorgan. It's as good as it is long, with rough that gives you nightmares.

Best Greens - Celtic Manor 2010 - played it last week and they were rapid. Christ knows what they were like in the summer?

Overall Condition - Royal St George's - we played it in February but you could not fault it.

Best value for money - RCP - winter green fee well worth it for a cracking course,need a bit of luck with the weather, which we got except for one hole of the 'hail from hell'. Still smile when I remember seeing Smiffys face when that started :D

Most Enjoyable - Canterbury. Joined in April and love it. So many different types of holes, still learning how to play certain holes.

Overall Best - London Club, Heritage. (International not far behind). it's the nuts.

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Toughest - Lost my virginity at Silloth on probably the windiest day in the world, so for this reason, Silloth. Can't wait to go back though!!

Best Greens - Played some belting courses this year. The greens in March at Notts were fantastic but I'll have to go with SAOL - pure, pure, pure!

Overall Condition - Hillside. Played it twice in the space of 7 days in summer. Immaculate.

Best value for money - I'd have to say Silloth. You don't pay for the weather but at £22.50 (I think) for their early season open, what's not to love

Most Enjoyable - After much self-deliberation, Formby. It's just a clever, clever course. Millionaires golf on a Sunday afternoon around there was spooky too, but nice!

Most disappointing - Without a doubt, the K Club. A massive let down for me. Only thing that gave it half a chance was the hotel service. Courses were not what you'd expect.

Overall Best - Arrrrgh! Formby and Silloth were early season but still fantastic courses, Hillside late season. Hotchkin played off-peak and on. All superb. Loved Notts and Fairhaven too but Formby seemed to strike a chord. I want to go back to em all, but I'd jump through fire to do Formby again.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toughest.. Aberdovey, I've never been as cold or wet on a golf course. Nice course though and I'd like another trip.

Best greens.. SAOL

Condition.. Hillside.

Enjoyable.. The New course.

Best overall.. It's got to be the same as the most enjoyable.

Could be a good time to do a Formby 4 ball on the winter deal before the winter kicks in?? I've only played it the once and I wouldn't mind another crack at it.
Anyone fancy it..£55 pp

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not played too many this year, but:

Toughest - Centurion
Best Greens - Centurion
Overall condition - Centurion
Most enjoyable - Rutland County
Overall best - Centurion

Mention for Pidly, Whitby and Cambridge Lakes...

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Toughest.. Aberdovey, I've never been as cold or wet on a golf course. Nice course though and I'd like another trip.

Best greens.. SAOL

Condition.. Hillside.

Could be a good time to do a Formby 4 ball on the winter deal before the winter kicks in?? I've only played it the once and I wouldn't mind another crack at it.
Anyone fancy it..£55 pp

Yes

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Best without doubt Royal Dornoch. Blows everything else in the highlands out of the water.

Biggest surprise was how good Tain was. Absolutely fell in love with Tain, such a fun course and brilliant condition. Golspie was good too.

Castle Stuart was good but its wide open. Greens were excellent.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Best greens.. SAOL

Condition.. Hillside.

Anyone fancy it..£55 pp

Yep :thup: