Courses to join/play St Albans area (Hi, I'm new)

Beat

Hacker
Visit site
Hello everyone. Long time forum reader, first time poster.

I'm moving full time to the St Albans area permanently to work in North West London.

I've never lived there before. Does anyone recommend any courses around there? I'll be looking to join a club eventually but wouldn't be looking to pay more than 100 quid a month.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Depends how far you dont mind travelling as youre in a good area for golf courses, albeit your budge may limit you a little (its not the cheapest area youre moving to as you may have realised from house prices!)

Verulam would be the obvious choice location wise (albeit may be slightly over £100pcm) and Im told its in decent condition. Other courses in the area include Brookmans Park, Porters Park, Redbourn, Mill Green, Welwyn Garden City, Mid Herts, Aldwickbury Park, Harpenden, Harpenden Common. Not sure on cost and to a degree will depend where you actually are living (and cost may well limit you on most of those.

Rick would be best to tell you about Aldwickbury (albeit hes moved to where the grass is def greener!), Arnoldarmchewer is at WGC I think, Murphs at Mid Herts and theres plenty on here who play in that area who will add there advice in the near future I expect (and/or be about to get a game with etc)

Beat

Hacker
Visit site
Great reply fundy, many thanks.

That's a good list of courses to start looking at. I'm not even back in the UK yet so am looking at various websites. Obviously you don't get much of a feel for the courses this way, hence my question here. Good to get local knowledge.

£100 a month was ball park really. Just mean I don't want to pay silly money (partly due to house prices as you have stated!).

Whether Rick, Arnold, Murphs or anyone else has any input, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I left out the 2 "silly money" clubs in the vicinty (Centurion and Brocket Hall)

When you know you're gonna be back post something in the arrange a game section and Im sure you'll get a few games at some of the courses you want to look at. Good luck with the move

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fundy's list is bang on. Most of the decent members courses aroundabouts will be circa £110-140 month for a full 7 day member. Not too many still require a joining fee.

Are you looking to play at a traditional members club at peak times on a weekend if so the afforementioned are your best bet, however if you are looking at off peak mid week somewhere like Mill Green (Hatfield) could be good value for money as I believe you can buy 'points', the more off peak you play the cheaper it is, however peak time games equate to a lot of points (if my memory serves me about £40 for a peak time game).

Essendon has 2 courses, is improving rapidly and is pretty good value at around £1300.00 for 7 day (annual cost).

Hope thats of some use, and by the way welcome.

Beat

Hacker
Visit site
Superb Arnold, thanks also. All information is useful.

I'll be working Monday to Friday so I'll mainly be playing weekends at peak times. I've nearly gone through Fundy's list and like the look of a few of them so have fired off some price inquiry e-mails. Redbourn in particular looks nice and we're hoping to stay there.

If you don't mind me asking Arnold, how do you find WGC (if that's where you play)? Nice course, good value? Looks like it's close to Redbourn.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you are on the Barnet side, Hadley Wood, Old Fold Manor or (my favourite that I'm happy to travel 40 miles for) The Shire London.

Hadley Wood is apparently top notch - not played it to confirm and may be out of price range).
Old Fold Manor is sufficiently good to hold Open Qualifying and many County matches, but is a bit stuffy for me (I call it Old Farts Manor!).
The Shire is a fun course and fantastic casual atmosphere. Evil first and another 11 holes with water involved, so I'm not sure whether I'd love it as much if my handicap was based there!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Superb Arnold, thanks also. All information is useful.

I'll be working Monday to Friday so I'll mainly be playing weekends at peak times. I've nearly gone through Fundy's list and like the look of a few of them so have fired off some price inquiry e-mails. Redbourn in particular looks nice and we're hoping to stay there.

If you don't mind me asking Arnold, how do you find WGC (if that's where you play)? Nice course, good value? Looks like it's close to Redbourn.

I was a member at WGCGC for 20+ years, its a really good members club, a good variety of holes and the course is always in great condition, I have recently left but thats all down to my game and nothing to do with the club. 7 day subs this year inc a locker were I think £1350. Its location is on the West side of WGC so easily accessible from St Albans (say 15 mins from the train station).

Regarding Foxholers shout on Hadley Wood, it is a good course albeit it used to suffer from heavy going in the winter, probably a bit more expensive than the others mentioned.

Beat

Hacker
Visit site
Many thanks Fox, this is all great stuff.

Hello Homer :)

I do like the look of WGC and the price is pretty much what I was looking for.

I'll probably select a number to play when I make the move end of July before I make a final decision.

Thanks to you all. Maybe further down the line we'll be able to arrange a game.

ForeRighty

Head Pro
Visit site
Id recommend Essendon and Brickendon both within price range and both clubs have a great member base with good friendly swindles and good golf courses.

D

Deleted member 15344

Aldwickbury Park is a nice course - pleasant clubhouse ,

Redbourne is nice also

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Beat,
Aldwickbury Park is excellent...friendly members, great social scene, fantastic greens, lovely views and the clubhouse has just been extended and refurbished.

It's part of the Burhill group so you get to play all the other 8 courses free including 2 free rounds at Burhill in Surrey.
Most people rate the course better than Redbourne, (also part of Burhill), but Redbourne does have a driving range whereas Aldwickbury only has a small range where you use your own balls. It does have an excellent par 3 course which is a great short game practice facility.

Membership when I left was £1275 and you can pay monthly if you like.

Hope that helps.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have you got a specific location in St Albans to live yet?

Lots of good course ideas there, but if you live in Herts you have to bear the travelling in mind.

To get you to the course in the best frame of mind, I'd try and avoid a club which means that you have to travel the far side of the a414 and a1. These can get pretty busy and might make those nice after work rounds in the summer a lot less attractive.

I live in Hertford and play at Brickenden. It's lovely, Essenden is also nearby, but I wouldn't enjoy the drive from st Albans on a regular basis. Even getting to wgc might be a bit tricky.

Beat

Hacker
Visit site
Rick, Phil, Righty, thank you all for the information. I have just submitted a membership inquiry to Aldwickbury. As many of you have said, it does look superb. I'll play a good few before I make a decision.

Dave, I don't have a specific location but we have our minds set on Redbourn. Plans may of course change down the line. Thanks for the heads up though.

Quick question as Spanish courses don't have this issue...

How long were your courses or courses in the area shut for in the winter or ruined by the weather? Is it really the case that you can only golf early Spring to late Autumn?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a normal winter most courses in this area are playable most of the time. If redbourn is to be your home you might want to look at Dunstable downs.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Rick, Phil, Righty, thank you all for the information. I have just submitted a membership inquiry to Aldwickbury. As many of you have said, it does look superb. I'll play a good few before I make a decision.

Dave, I don't have a specific location but we have our minds set on Redbourn. Plans may of course change down the line. Thanks for the heads up though.

Quick question as Spanish courses don't have this issue...

How long were your courses or courses in the area shut for in the winter or ruined by the weather? Is it really the case that you can only golf early Spring to late Autumn?

If you are planning to live in Redbourn, i would look no further than there. I was briefly a member for a few months when i started playing before moving to Inverness. I found the course to be OK and not that bad in winter ( was only a member for 3 months Jan, feb and i bit of March) they held medals though the winter and found it to be a friendly place and had no trouble having people to play with. I Also Lived in the Conservation area in St Albans and it only ever took 10-20 mins to get to from there. it had a 9 holer and a driving range.

G

guest100718

Harpenden GC is just up the hill from redbourn with Harpenden common a little further along. Mid herts is also worth a looktoo. There are also a couple of munis nearby that are good for a knockabout. Stockwood in Luton and Batchwood in St Albans.
I have always found Rebourn GC a little bit meh, the 2nd is very poor hole and the last is just mental!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Harpenden GC is just up the hill from redbourn with Harpenden common a little further along. Mid herts is also worth a looktoo. There are also a couple of munis nearby that are good for a knockabout. Stockwood in Luton and Batchwood in St Albans.
I have always found Rebourn GC a little bit meh, the 2nd is very poor hole and the last is just mental!

is it still the case, that Harpenden Common don't play on Sunday? they used to have a cricket pitch in the middle of one of the fairways. i would also suspect it is quiet expensive ?

G

guest100718

is it still the case, that Harpenden Common don't play on Sunday? they used to have a cricket pitch in the middle of one of the fairways. i would also suspect it is quiet expensive ?

Ive not played the common, but Harpenden GC was quite nice. Spoilt for choice around that way. Lots of clubs within a half hour drive, there is luton hoo aswell.