Hilliest courses North west and North wales

Cackgolfer

Visit site
Thanks so much for the excellent response I’m blown away.

Anymore recommendations in North Wales/Anglesey and boarder regions?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I played Brampton a few years ago, and by coincidence I played Burnley and Silverdale on a golf trip last month.

I didn't find Silverdale hilly at all and while Burnley was quite a trek it wasn't too bad, so the award for hilliest course ever is the third course we played that trip, Kendal.

The first clue is the approach road to the clubhouse which our over burdened transport struggled on. The second clue is the first hole, which when standing on the tee just goes up without a flat bit until the green. You then proceed to go up, and up.

If I remember correctly, the 12th is fairly flat, the 6th is a down hill par 3, and you start coming back down at 16. Other than that is it uphill all the way peaking out on the 11th green with I might add some spectacular views.

We played 36 holes.

webbedrobin

Visit site
Thanks so much for the excellent response I’m blown away.

Anymore recommendations in North Wales/Anglesey and boarder regions?

Y Bala GC, Gwynedd, (https://www.golffbala.co.uk/) is by far the hilliest I have ever played with stunning views of Llyn Tegid (Lake) and the surrounding mountains.
It's a short course (~ 5000 yards), 10 holes (2 - 9 played twice from different tees for the 18) but is great fun.
I'd recommend playing the 1st hole from the white tees for the whole experience; 231 yds, par 3, all up a steep gradient - IMO the toughest hole to par I have ever played.

IanMcC

Visit site
For North Wales, Llanymynech is very undulating, but highly recommended. Woosnam started here. Also Mold is cruelly hilly, and Bull Bay on Anglesey is lung busting.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Redish Vale is a bit Hilly.
The 18 th hole has the biggest hill I have ever played.
We played Reddish Vale last year. I didn't find it particularly hilly, however that 18th was something else, daft springs to mind, although my view isn't helped by the fact that we played 36 holes and my battery ran out approaching the 18th tee leaving me with the job of pushing it up that hill.

On the other hand if you want to talk about hills I give you the now defunct back 9 at Galashiels GC. The course known locally as Ladhope Hill was until 2008 an 18 hole course which was reduced to 9 holes because nobody went up the hill. They came off the 10th and cut across to 17*, the reason being was that 11, 12 & 13 were a par 3, par 4 and par 3 that went straight up hill, no meandering, no deviations, no flat bits, just straight up hill and it was a real slog.

The following day we played at Hawick, a brilliant course which winds itself up around a hill** and then drops down in only two holes. We were in the bar after the round talking to the Steward and mentioned Galashiels, some members in the bar asked us if we had gone "up the hill" and were in awe when we answered "yes". It was legendary.

* I hope I remember the layout correctly.

** The 5th at Hawick has (had?) 6 inch boards running the full length of the 5th fairway. They were there to collect a golfers drive because without them there was the potential for the ball to run all the way back down to the bottom of the hill, the slope is that severe.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played Reddish Vale last year. I didn't find it particularly hilly, however that 18th was something else, daft springs to mind, although my view isn't helped by the fact that we played 36 holes and my battery ran out approaching the 18th tee leaving me with the job of pushing it up that hill.

On the other hand if you want to talk about hills I give you the now defunct back 9 at Galashiels GC. The course known locally as Ladhope Hill was until 2008 an 18 hole course which was reduced to 9 holes because nobody went up the hill. They came off the 10th and cut across to 17*, the reason being was that 11, 12 & 13 were a par 3, par 4 and par 3 that went straight up hill, no meandering, no deviations, no flat bits, just straight up hill and it was a real slog.

The following day we played at Hawick, a brilliant course which winds itself up around a hill** and then drops down in only two holes. We were in the bar after the round talking to the Steward and mentioned Galashiels, some members in the bar asked us if we had gone "up the hill" and were in awe when we answered "yes". It was legendary.

* I hope I remember the layout correctly.

** The 5th at Hawick has (had?) 6 inch boards running the full length of the 5th fairway. They were there to collect a golfers drive because without them there was the potential for the ball to run all the back down to the bottom of the hill, the slope is that severe.
Yes the first few holes are quite flat .
But after the par 3 down the hill it’s mainly on the side of a hill.
We played a scratch event off the tips which were very much up hills.
I was knackered after .

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Even though no ones mentioned it, so it obviously doesn't rank in the top 10 of hilly courses, I found the Montgomerie Course at Celtic Manor more than hilly enough for my liking, especially using an electric trolley

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bolton Old Links is a good shout - played in strong winds many years ago - hit a (downhill) par 5 with driver, couldn't reach one of the par 3's with driver!
I’m a member up at Old links. I think we are very hilly, however the Mcenzie layout is quite clever in that you tend to zig zag up and down The hills. So you get the benefit of the spectacular views but don’t necessarily have any lung busting climbs.

The 6th is the worst imo. It’s not a massive incline but it’s a par 5 and can Be a right slog.

Agree on the wind though. Windiest course going and has It’s own microclimate I reckon.

Always 2-3 degrees colder up there than anywhere else in the local area.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I played Brampton a few years ago, and by coincidence I played Burnley and Silverdale on a golf trip last month.

I didn't find Silverdale hilly at all and while Burnley was quite a trek it wasn't too bad, so the award for hilliest course ever is the third course we played that trip, Kendal.

The first clue is the approach road to the clubhouse which our over burdened transport struggled on. The second clue is the first hole, which when standing on the tee just goes up without a flat bit until the green. You then proceed to go up, and up.

If I remember correctly, the 12th is fairly flat, the 6th is a down hill par 3, and you start coming back down at 16. Other than that is it uphill all the way peaking out on the 11th green with I might add some spectacular views.

We played 36 holes.
Agree entirely that Kendal is an absolute goat track. Played in May of this year in a comp and it was unbearable. I came off early as we were going to see The Proclaimers.