Hilliest courses North west and North wales

Cackgolfer

Visit site
Long time watcher first time poster.

I can’t find the answer to this hopefully someone can help.

I love a hilly track, can recommend some nice hilly courses in the north west/north wales area please?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hallamshire golf club which is Matt Fitzpatrick home course is one tough walk in fact most of the courses around that area are. Sickleholme is also a tough walk.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Long time watcher first time poster.

I can’t find the answer to this hopefully someone can help.

I love a hilly track, can recommend some nice hilly courses in the north west/north wales area please?

Lots ..... You can head to Lancashire / Cumbris where Bolton Old Links, Burnley, Windemere are good value and have great views.

Then in Cheshire there is Macclesfield, Prestbury and probably many more.

D

Deleted member 1147

Chevin, in Derby, is on the side of a hill, very steep & has great views.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Lots ..... You can head to Lancashire / Cumbris where Bolton Old Links, Burnley, Windemere are good value and have great views.

Then in Cheshire there is Macclesfield, Prestbury and probably many more.
Surprised Cheshire has many. It's a pretty flat county though I've never golfed there.

cunnini

Visit site
Bolton Old Links is a good shout - played in strong winds many years ago - hit a (downhill) par 5 with driver, couldn't reach one of the par 3's with driver!

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I played at Dewsbury earlier this year and that was quiet hilly but i think the one place I have played that sticks in my mind as hilly is Darwen Golf Club.

Walk round it several times a week with the dogs, it’s renowned for being hilly but it really only affects a few holes - the first two really - so by the time you arrive at the 3rd tee you’re cream crackered.. :ROFLMAO:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A few come to mind - Heaton Park in Manchester apparently used to be an army proving ground and you can tell. Not so much rolling hills as sheer peaks and troughs.

Brookdale and Oldham I remember being pretty hilly.

Silverdale is a cracking little course in my opinion but it is like marmite with people as some holes are quite bitty (hitting 8 irons on par 4s for position etc).

As mentioned Bolton Old Links is belter, a step up from that (in terms of course) would be Pleasington.

Windermere has some stunning views and big elevation changes.

I'm fairly new to this golf game but I am starting to realise that my favourite courses tend to involve elevation changes and a views etc. For this reason I tend to find most links golf fairly boring but then find the odd course like Silloth to be absolutely brilliant where you're weaving your way through big dunes.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Welshpool isn’t far away from the area you’re looking. Take your own defibrillator. And climbing ropes. Proper hilly.

Cackgolfer

Visit site
Good to see some other mountaineers with clubs about!
I find it can level the playing field a bit if you playing on the side of mountain.

Keep them coming

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
A few come to mind - Heaton Park in Manchester apparently used to be an army proving ground and you can tell. Not so much rolling hills as sheer peaks and troughs.

Brookdale and Oldham I remember being pretty hilly.

Silverdale is a cracking little course in my opinion but it is like marmite with people as some holes are quite bitty (hitting 8 irons on par 4s for position etc).

As mentioned Bolton Old Links is belter, a step up from that (in terms of course) would be Pleasington.

Windermere has some stunning views and big elevation changes.

I'm fairly new to this golf game but I am starting to realise that my favourite courses tend to involve elevation changes and a views etc. For this reason I tend to find most links golf fairly boring but then find the odd course like Silloth to be absolutely brilliant where you're weaving your way through big dunes.

Have you played Hillside, the back nine is about as good as I've ever witnessed. It ain't cheap but if you really wanted to treat yourself to a stunning links course, it might be worth the outlay.