Hilliest courses North west and North wales

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Did you miss out on the par three where the green is behind a huge wall? 😂
17th. We played 36 holes, during the morning round I hit the wall with the ball bouncing so far back I lost it in the deep stuff. During the afternoon round I hit the wall but managed to wedge it over and putt for par. It was pretty unsatisfactory as it is only a wedge and I was looking forward to playing it well.

It could have been worse, one of the lads put his ball about two feet from the wall giving us a real laugh when he tried to lob it over and nearly killed himself with the rebound.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I’m a member up at Old links. I think we are very hilly, however the Mcenzie layout is quite clever in that you tend to zig zag up and down The hills. So you get the benefit of the spectacular views but don’t necessarily have any lung busting climbs.

The 6th is the worst imo. It’s not a massive incline but it’s a par 5 and can Be a right slog.

Agree on the wind though. Windiest course going and has It’s own microclimate I reckon.

Always 2-3 degrees colder up there than anywhere else in the local area.
Why are the 6th and 18th par 4s of the yellows though? I always play those 2 off the whites as they are a bit daft as par 4s.
Great course though

Deijavoo

Medal Winner
Visit site
Member here at Brampton, so probably a little biased but it really is a super track, improving all the time, and definitely meets the criteria of "hilly".

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Have you played Hillside, the back nine is about as good as I've ever witnessed. It ain't cheap but if you really wanted to treat yourself to a stunning links course, it might be worth the outlay.

Sorry I missed this earlier in the week. Hillside is definitely on my "to play" list. My BiL is mates with a blackpool footballer who's a member there so trying to twist his arm into an invite.

I played Formby ladies a while back and was looking through the trees at Formby golf course and noted that down as another I'd love to play as well, it looked stunning.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry I missed this earlier in the week. Hillside is definitely on my "to play" list. My BiL is mates with a blackpool footballer who's a member there so trying to twist his arm into an invite.

I played Formby ladies a while back and was looking through the trees at Formby golf course and noted that down as another I'd love to play as well, it looked stunning.
Your right Formby is a stunning course.
Hillside is not really that hilly if you stay on the fairways it’s mainly framed by the sandunes.
Its probably my favourite course of them all up the coast.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why are the 6th and 18th par 4s of the yellows though? I always play those 2 off the whites as they are a bit daft as par 4s.
Great course though

Yeah. The 6th used to be a par 4/5 but is now a par 5 off both tees.

Tbh it was near impossible to hit that green in two when the winds up (99% of the bloody time) and i can give it a good old whack.

I’ve only ever hit the green once in two and that took a beast of a drive and an even better 4 wood. Was only front edge as well.

Hardest par 4 in the NW for me.

18th remains a 4/5 but I think that’s fair as it’s significantly flatter and the Yellows normally 80-100 yards further up.

Those rhododendrons on the right at the final resting place of at least 50 of my balls. Hate the git.

BearwoodLakesGolfer

Visit site
Long time watcher first time poster.

I can’t find the answer to this hopefully someone can help.

I love a hilly track, can recommend some nice hilly courses in the north west/north wales area please?
In North West Wales you have Bangor Golf Club AND Bull Bay GC (which is a favourite of mine)!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd say that Brampton GC & Pleasington GC would be 'up there' as some of the hilliest in the NW... with the former being a front-runner.

Links Lover

Visit site
Thanks so much for the excellent response I’m blown away.

Anymore recommendations in North Wales/Anglesey and boarder regions?
I haven't played it, but people always mention how hilly Bangor St Deniol is. Maybe worth checking out.

Bolton Old Links is getting a few mentions, some of the best views around when you get up to the higher part of the course on the back 9. Can vouch for the 6th being a hard slog uphill! Greens are generally in excellent condition and fast.

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site
@2blue I don't know about Brampton as I have not played there but no way would I consider Pleasington as on of the hilliest courses in the area, at the most I would say describe it as undulating, it's not in the same bracket as Darwin, Bolton Old Links or Bolton.

BL8Ricky

Visit site
Another shout for Heaton Park. It’s not called the Himalaya’s of Manchester for nothing. The 17th is like climbing a mountain.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another shout for Heaton Park. It’s not called the Himalaya’s of Manchester for nothing. The 17th is like climbing a mountain.
The 17th used to be the 18th. What killer hole to finish on. A mate played it once and the bloke in the hut at the top where you used to finish said, see you again. My mate replied, no you beeping won't . Lol

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
The start and finish at Longridge are pretty steep, seem to remember the front nine at Crewe are up and down. Disley is another that comes to mind.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The start and finish at Longridge are pretty steep, seem to remember the front nine at Crewe are up and down. Disley is another that comes to mind.
Known as cardiac hill by the members I played with there many years ago. A course to be avoided in bad weather - as I found out on that day!