Courses played this year

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

As the year draws to an end, what courses have you played this year

Out of them, what was your favourite(s)?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I played Westward Ho! again this year for the first time in over 20 years..... really enjoyed the quirkiness and raw beauty of the place. Everyone I encountered was so pleasant too...I hope the 3 holes being rebuilt do not detract from it.

Jut had the reminder about Sunningdale above - love the place, even though I had my worse round in 10 years in the New Course. No excuses, just bad golf!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Royal Aberdeen and Trump Aberdeen were both top drawer. Great venues, great settings and ultimately fantastic golf courses.

The Machrie on Islay was excellent, really enjoyed it but still not fully convinced that they have "improved" the course overall. Wouldn't hesitate to go back though as it's brilliant setting and course.

I've been more than impressed with the condition of courses such as Largs, Paisley, Ranfurly Castle etc which are all local to where I live.

Finally delighted to become a member of a "proper" golf club again. It's been a brilliant move for me, couldn't be happier.

** Also played the Castle Course again at At Andrews, it has improved since I last played it, still not sure on its "identity" though but it was enjoyable and more playable since the greens have been softened.

*** Prestwick was a huge disappointment.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In the North East, other than my home course, I've played Ponteland, Gosforth (Bridlepath), Whitley Bay, Tynemouth, Tyneside, South Shields, Hexham, Newbiggin, Alnmouth (Foxton Hall).

Down on the Yorkshire Coast, Filey and Scarborough South Cliff.

Over in Turkey, Titanic and Nobilis.

I'd say out of that lot, Foxton was my favourite, with Nobilis not far behind.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I love Sunningdale Old and Hankley.
I am sure the New at Sunningdale is great if you don't lose a ball on almost every tee shot.
Forest Pines is a always up there given the company.
Walton Heath is a favourite of mine and on my firms "corporate" list.
Tandridge and Knole Park were great.

there's plenty on my 2020 list courtesy of my firms corporate list

Last edited:

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
New Courses in 2019

Killin, Torwoodlee, The Machrie, Pitreavie, St Michaels, West Linton, Abersoch, Porthmadog

and return visits to

Gullane Nr 1 & 3, Luffness New, Auchterarder, Comrie, Mortonhall, Elie, Muckhart, Aberdour, Baberton, Goswick, Glenbervie, St Andrews New.

Top fun was probably at the Machrie - it's different from the original but much better conditioned and less quirky. Love to go back sometime soon. The front 9 at Abersoch and the back 9 at Porthmadog would make a great 18, shame both are let down badly by the need to adopt a field to make up 18 holes.

Always enjoy Comrie for a chilled time in beautiful Perthshire.

So many nice golf courses, so little time....

2020 ambition is to finally get some more play in Ayrshire and Surrey - Sunningdale is looking on for June so excited for that.

D

Deleted member 1147

New courses: Ganton, Scarborough South Cliff, Northamptonshire County - all very enjoyable.

Plus of course my home course

Just remembered I also played at Ashbourne a couple of times, and a scratch league match at Matlock

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

Played a few this year

Oxfordshire
Blackmoor
Northampton County
Tadmarten Heath
Wellingborough
London Club - Heritage and International
Woodhall - Hotchkin
Burnham and Berrow
Hunstanton
Stoke Park
Woburn ( all three )
Grove
Princes
Hankley Common
Liphook
West Hill
The Wisely
Tanridge
The Addington
Sunningdale old and new
Sheringham
Ferndown

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My holes played this year, so far:

Brickhampton Spa 1284
South Herefordshire 54
Cotswold Hills 54
Old Course St. Pierre 36
Stinchcombe 36
Forest Hills 18
Sherdons 18
Royal St Davids 18
Woburn, Marquess 18
Vale, Lakes course 18
Vale, National course 18
Puckrup 18
Ross-on-Wye 18
Gaudet Luce 18
Minchinhampton Cherington 18
The Kendleshire 18
Rolls of Monmouth 18
Naunton Downs 18
Glevum 17
Cleeve Hill 10
Goswick 9

Favourite would have to be the pro-am at Woburn! Made even sweeter by winning a prize for the best amateur score.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
As I turned 60 this year thought it would be nice to play 60 different courses and currently sitting on 59 , with FoA on Dec 17th as the 60th planned .

Stand out ones are Woodhall Hotchkin , Bull Bay, Wallasey , Faldo at Amendoeira , Coxmoor, Conwy , Copt Heath and Hillside .

D

Deleted member 25172

Standout for me was definitely Sunningdale, and that I played some of the best golf of my life didn't hurt either, even though a bit embarrassing. If I have to choose, it has to be the new course that wins it for me.

Loved Hankley and Tandridge as well, but a gem that I didn't have any real expectations of was Beaconsfield.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Played another dozen or so new courses this year.

Started the year playing L'albatross which wins as my fav new club of the year.

Was absolutely astounded that we got to play Hankley after the weather overnight/morning.

Ended on a high to after finally getting to play Cuddington. To fit a course of such quality in as they have there is impressive.

Can't wait for 2021 and a return to trip to Sunningdale...... Maybe I'll play well there eventually. There was a patch on the New that was probably as close as I've ever come to walking off a course.

Overall though, as is always the case. More importantly got to add a few more names to faces as well as enjoying the company (mostly ?) of some old (Chris?) friends.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Both of the Berkshires (I preferred the one that started with the long par 3)
West Hill - lucky enough to get on there and I really enjoyed it.
Worplesdon - Good but I preferred West Hill

I also played 3 rounds in the US:
Gaylord Springs, Nashiville - great name, and incredibly fast greens.
Oxmoor Valley RTJ Ridge course, Birmingham - not like your typical US courses, very enjoyable.
Ross Bridge RTJ, Birmingham - Superb. A couple of the holes are very similar to Augusta National.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I cant match the prestige of many of the courses listed above!

Thus far i've played the following:

Leckford New
Moors Valley
Wellow
New Forest
Burley
Paultons
Dibden
Ampfield
Meon Valley
Gosport and Stokes Bay
Meyrick Park
Queens Park

Should play Leckford Old before the year is out.