Courses played this year

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 17920

Royal Troon is seriously underrated for some reason it's a tremendous test and layout.
Totally agree.

I think it’s viewed by the majority as 6 going out 6 great holes then 6 coming back.

I think from the 5th it really gets going.

D

Deleted member 1147

Totally agree.

I think it’s viewed by the majority as 6 going out 6 great holes then 6 coming back.

It was a great Open venue to visit, and looked like a course I’d love to play.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ntt a great year for new courses for me, Moortown was my star course apart from there just a few around Lancashire & Cheshire

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ntt a great year for new courses for me, Moortown was my star course apart from there just a few around Lancashire & Cheshire
Louise, how did you find the clubhouse? I played there with my son a couple of years ago and found it a bit intimidating and unwelcoming. The course was great but the rest put me off. (They also have a very strict sock policy that was pushed down our throats whilst there in peak summer which didn't help)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Louise, how did you find the clubhouse? I played there with my son a couple of years ago and found it a bit intimidating and unwelcoming. The course was great but the rest put me off. (They also have a very strict sock policy that was pushed down our throats whilst there in peak summer which didn't help)
Nooooo. Not the socks again. At least you must have complied.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nooooo. Not the socks again. At least you must have complied.
I did because I had checked before I went, I was pre warned. When there I was told of the rule by the pro whilst checking in, first comment made ?, they had posters up in the locker rooms and the hut by the first also had a poster in the window stating the rule. Nothing else, no ready golf, play quickly, rake bunkers, repair pitch marks, let faster groups through. No, just don't wear trainer socks. Honestly. You know the type all of the pro's were wearing in S.Africa last week ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did because I had checked before I went, I was pre warned. When there I was told of the rule by the pro whilst checking in, first comment made ?, they had posters up in the locker rooms and the hut by the first also had a poster in the window stating the rule. Nothing else, no ready golf, play quickly, rake bunkers, repair pitch marks, let faster groups through. No, just don't wear trainer socks. Honestly. You know the type all of the pro's were wearing in S.Africa last week ?
Have never been there but it has always struck me as a club with that sort of air and while I'm all for tradition those sort of down your throat attitudes do nothing to help the game. Talk about ramming the point

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have never been there but it has always struck me as a club with that sort of air and while I'm all for tradition those sort of down your throat attitudes do nothing to help the game. Talk about ramming the point
A shame really as the course was excellent. They held the Ryder Cup well back in time and the clock has stood still. The clubhouse has a number of rooms, you are not sure if you can go in them, can you sit there etc. It just wasn't comfortable.

Across the road is Alwoodley and whilst still high quality it is much more welcoming.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Totally agree.

Back 9 is BRUTAL into any sort of wind. I've played it a few times now and even losing balls all over the shop coming home into 20+ mph winds it was incredible. An amazing test.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mojacar(Marina)
Aguilon
Desert Springs
Valle del Este
Lorca
Alboran
La Envia

My favourite.. that's a tough one. DS, VDE & Aguilon are 3 very good courses, the winning choice being dependent on course condition on the day. Alboran probably the weakest but still worth the visit.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
A shame really as the course was excellent. They held the Ryder Cup well back in time and the clock has stood still. The clubhouse has a number of rooms, you are not sure if you can go in them, can you sit there etc. It just wasn't comfortable.

Across the road is Alwoodley and whilst still high quality it is much more welcoming.

Played Moortown quite a few times, and never had an unwelcoming feeling. Got on great with the members there, although one room was a bit stuffy(think quiet reading room type thing) the rest were great.

Disappointed when they took out so much undergrowth, bushes and trees, returning it to what it was 50+ years ago. Love the finishing hole.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site

It was a ladies open in May, I went in the clubhouse wearing trainers, didn't have a problem

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Royal Troon is seriously underrated for some reason it's a tremendous test and layout.

Absolutely Royal Troon is a far better course than some that are more highly rated on some lists.

For example, it is better than the likes of Carnoustie and North Berwick. It's second course is also excellent.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In a fairly quiet year have played....
LOCALLY-
Wetherby
Scarthingwell
MoorAllerton
Scarcroft
Headingley
Howley Hall
Cookridge
Moortown
Horsforth
Low Laithes
Sandmoor
Garforth

FURTHER AFIELD
The Machrie
Seaton Carew
Cleveland
Hartlepool
Branspeth Castle
Tyneside
Sunningdale Old & New
Addington
WoodhallSpa Hotchkin
Bracken
Lincoln
Wallasey

EVEN FURTHER AFIELD
The Royal Golf Marrakesh
The Samanah
The Assoufid
The Royal Palm

When it's a 9 hr journey from Leeds & involves 3 ferries you hope you're not going to be disappointed. Happily 'The Machrie Open' at £100 for 3 dry, midgey-free, & windless, May rounds, delivered for me the High-light of the year.
A course that has been 'modernised' from a trad-links it is, like most of Scotland's West Coast (the UK's greatest 'GEM'), it's pretty much indescribable & a bit of a pig to get to from anywhere other than Scotland. Few will make the effort.... so few will experience it's 'Specialness'....... & long may it remain so!!

D

Deleted member 1147

In a fairly quiet year have played....
LOCALLY-
Wetherby
Scarthingwell
MoorAllerton
Scarcroft
Headingley
Howley Hall
Cookridge
Moortown
Horsforth
Low Laithes
Sandmoor
Garforth

FURTHER AFIELD
The Machrie
Seaton Carew
Cleveland
Hartlepool
Branspeth Castle
Tyneside
Sunningdale Old & New
Addington
WoodhallSpa Hotchkin
Bracken
Lincoln
Wallasey

EVEN FURTHER AFIELD
The Royal Golf Marrakesh
The Samanah
The Assoufid
The Royal Palm

When it's a 9 hr journey from Leeds & involves 3 ferries you hope you're not going to be disappointed. Happily 'The Machrie Open' at £100 for 3 dry, midgey-free, & windless, May rounds, delivered for me the High-light of the year.
A course that has been 'modernised' from a trad-links it is, like most of Scotland's West Coast (the UK's greatest 'GEM'), it's pretty much indescribable & a bit of a pig to get to from anywhere other than Scotland. Few will make the effort.... so few will experience it's 'Specialness'....... & long may it remain so!!
Nice to read such a good write up. Our old club pro, D J Russell, did the redesign.

D

Deleted member 21258

If Heineken made wife's, they made mine and my wife made this list possible :-

Woodhall Spa – Hotchkin.......Woburn – Marquees & Dukes
Western Gailes......................West Sussex
West Hill...............................Welshpool
Waterville.............................Trump Ireland/Doonbeg
Tralee..................................The European Club
Tandridge.............................St Georges Hill
Shrewsbury Club...................Sherwood Forest
Saunton – East & West..........Royal Troon
Royal St Davids.....................Royal Porthcrawl
Royal Birkdale.......................Prestwick
Painswick..............................Notts
Naughton Downs...................Muirfield
Mount Juliet..........................Moortown
Mile End...............................Hawkstone – Hawkstone & Championship
Hankley Common.................Gullane No1
Ganton.................................Formby
Conwy..................................Cleeve Hill
Centurion.............................Burnham-on-Crouch
Burnham & Berrow................Beaufort
Beau Desert..........................Ballyheigue Castle

Top of the highlights, was Burnham-on-Crouch after about 15 years break from playing as a member, I returned to play on a golf day and finding the club is still one of the friendliest places I have ever been.

Others in 2nd place tied were, Tralee, Saunton, Beau, Mile End, RSD and Ganton. Just love those places.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nice to read such a good write up. Our old club pro, D J Russell, did the redesign.

He ripped apart an amazing golf experience, he's replaced it with a great golf course but I remain unconvinced he has actually improved what was there.

It certainly splits opinion amongst the members and locals. Fantastic place, fantastic experience and I can't wait to go back.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A few new courses for me and a few returns to old favourites.

New course highlight would be Sandiway.

Old favourites would be Sunningdale Old & New, Hankley Common (love it there) and The Addington.

Courses I'd really been looking forward to but the weather so bad that rounds were curtailed; Hunstanton, Brancaster and Delamere Forest.

Definitely one of the worst years for weather that I can remember.