Courses played this year

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25172

Someone did the same at our place (brickendon) last weekend. I wonder if they were related. Not that far apart. Luckily damage was to a few mounds around the greens. It could definitely have been worse if they'd made an effort.
I've played mill hill, and thought it was a decent track. Didn't mind crossing the road, but there was a bit too much traffic noise all round if I was being picky. Definitely worth playing. Was in nbetter condition than Hendon and seemed a 'bigger' course.

I haven’t seen the damage on our course myself so don’t know exactly how bad it is, but add on the rain and it must just be like a field of mud everywhere. :/
Good to hear it’s not too bad at your place after all then. Some real pr*cks doing these kind of things.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Not played as many courses as I'd hoped since moving here to Spain, but, I've played Vistabella, La Finca, Alenda, Villamartin and Las Ramblas.

All good courses, but I enjoy La Finca the most when I get the chance to play it.

sunshine

Visit site
That’s som write up there! :)

Yes, it does get very very wet unfortunately. I’ve seen the clip as well when it’s literally under water, but have only been a member for just over a year so hopefully that won’t happen again, but with this weather it won’t be far off though.

I actually quite like 4 and 7, especially 7, even though my hit rate for the ditch running along the right hand side is probably close to 50%...
16 is indeed hard. Actually, I hate it. I must’ve played the course now around 50-60 times and can honestly say that I haven’t even been on the green in regulation more than a handful of times. I’d put 18 as the weakest, or least interesting hole.

I’ve gotten used to the noice now from the roads around, but I can see why it’s so off putting for a lot of people, and add up the walk to get to the course, yeah, not great.

For me, it would be much more convenient to have joined North Middlesex, but I really don’t rate it at all and South Herts is even closer to me but it’s a tad too expensive for me.

I agree with you on North Mid. You are doing very well if South Herts is the closest golf course to your house (or is it a palace) ;)

I don't mind the walk to the course, although I'm sure the layout has been altered significantly due to losing holes to build the motorways, which is why some of the layout feels a bit awkward. I bet the original 18th is now under asphalt.

D

Deleted member 25172

I agree with you on North Mid. You are doing very well if South Herts is the closest golf course to your house (or is it a palace) ;)

I don't mind the walk to the course, although I'm sure the layout has been altered significantly due to losing holes to build the motorways, which is why some of the layout feels a bit awkward. I bet the original 18th is now under asphalt.

Ha ha. I wish I was doing that well, but you’ll find me cramped up in a flat on the high road in Whetstone...

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Always feel a bit 'look at me' these threads. List loads of courses and soak up the self-satisfaction.

Have been guilty in the past but now realise how crass it can look to those who don't have the opportunity.

So here's some input which I hope people find useful.

Jubilee @ St Andrews - More fun than the new. Worth looking at when applying for ballot.

Goswick - Nearly a 'bang for buck' level with Silloth. High quality, enjoyable golf in such a tranquil setting.

Holme Hall - Quality heathland at a ridiculously good price.

Happy golfing.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Always feel a bit 'look at me' these threads. List loads of courses and soak up the self-satisfaction.

Have been guilty in the past but now realise how crass it can look to those who don't have the opportunity.

Jubilee @ St Andrews - More fun than the new. Worth looking at when applying for ballot.

Goswick - Nearly a 'bang for buck' level with Silloth. High quality, enjoyable golf in such a tranquil setting.

Happy golfing.

Interesting take on it.

I've managed to ay a couple of excellent courses this season but also had special praise for a few local courses that Impressed me greatly by their condition.

Is it any different to car threads? I know what I like but also know what I can afford.

?

D

Deleted member 17920

Happy golfing.
Like @Jacko_G mentions interesting comments Craig.

For me we are all pretty much obsessed about golf and that’s we are on a golf forum.

For any sport you would want to play the best you can and I don’t think it’s bragging just because one person paid £££ to play vs the person who has only paid £

I know I have found it really useful that people mention where they have played and that they have enjoyed a particular course.

In fact when one course gets mentioned a few times it makes me take a look a course and work out where to look for a forum trip , I hear The Machrie is very good ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21258

As Op, thought I would explain why I posted the thread :-

- Like to read about golf courses and peoples experiences, hence why I asked for the favourite course(rather than saying most expensive or best courses you have played)
- I love a list or excel spreadsheet
- Have started quite a number of similar threads, asking for golf courses to play with the best wow factor, fun, best welcome etc and this is a very similar theme to me
- same thread is posted every year
- Get ideas for reasonable priced courses

Certainly not for it to be seen as crass, sadly which if it reads like, there is nothing I can do about it:( but the thread has been useful to me(hopefully others as well) and I have already added a few total unknowns to my to 'wouldn't it be nice to play if in the area courses, if on holiday, which are also fairly reasonable priced'. Will have to look at the Holme Hall you posted, as never heard of it but sounds a peach.

Hopefully that explains where my post came from. If its seen as crass to some people, then I apologise according and probably best not to click on the thread :(:(

Have a good weekend.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not having a dig at anyone.

Guess my perspectives have changed over the years is all.

I've played more than listed above, but would feel uncomfortable posting as a big list, for the reasons I outlined.

Hope that makes sense.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think lists like this are brilliant to highlight the opportunity we have, especially as I would guess that the large majority of the visits did not come from a full green fee being paid.

A large number of us are members of some of the best courses in the country - just ask, and most of us will host.

Enter opens, pay pittance to play the courses at their very best.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think lists like this are brilliant to highlight the opportunity we have, especially as I would guess that the large majority of the visits did not come from a full green fee being paid.

A large number of us are members of some of the best courses in the country - just ask, and most of us will host.

Enter opens, pay pittance to play the courses at their very best.

Opens are definitely the way forward, I think we got three rounds at The Machrie for £100 and Royal Aberdeen was £50.

Looking to get something booked at Cruden Bay this year open wise and I've already booked up for Fortrose and Moray Old in May.

D

Deleted member 17920

M
Opens are definitely the way forward, I think we got three rounds at The Machrie for £100 and Royal Aberdeen was £50.

Looking to get something booked at Cruden Bay this year open wise and I've already booked up for Fortrose and Moray Old in May.
Only way to play some courses now at an affordable rate.
Even Moray old is £100 round now for a green fee, you can get a full week in the moray open for £110

Crudens 4 day is also incredible value for money.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Also played Northcliffe Golf Club in our annual family golf society day.

A quirky course just on the outskirts of Bradford, but very enjoyable.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
played a good few this year
Dundonlad
Roxburie
cerdrona
Trump Aberdeen
Troon lockgreen
Macdonald hill valley (Shropshire) both courses
Stirling
Bishopbriggs
Cambuslang
Couple of others
Playing eyemouth on friday morning

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site

How do you get into the opens I'd like to start playing some next year

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have saw some in the club notice board but wasnt to sure how it all worked
It is surprisingly simple. You can go direct to the club but there is no price benefit or penalty. The Golf Empire website allows you to look at all that is on offer in a very easy manner. It really is one of the better uses of the internet :D (if you like to play golf)

In your question, are you meaning how Opens themselves work?

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
no more of how id get involved I'll check that site out and go from there, it's a good way of playing other courses is my thinking