Course record or otherwise!

salfordlad

Visit site
There are Stableford scores and there are Stableford scores. For a number of clubs, Stablefords may be played from the back tees. And if the player has submitted a completed score for each hole, then that card is equally relevant to an accurate stroke score as it is to an accurate Stableford score. So it is entirely possible, albeit not necessarily the case, that a score in a Stableford event can meet all the criteria for the strictest version of the course record - ie back tees and every hole completed and accurately scored. IMO, such a score has an equal claim on a course record as any other score card in any form of competition where the specific card meets those requirements.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
But even holing out on every hole…the mindset I have when playing in a Stableford comp is, IMO, quite different to that I have when playing a medal round. Perhaps the advice from the R&A reflects the fact that difference in that medal is undoubtedly (IMO) harder, mentally, than Stableford.
Low handicappers who are good enough to set a course record don't approach stableford in the same was as a high player. They won't score 9 or 10 on a hole.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
For a actual course record, does it make sense for a club to decide that play has to be off the ‘stones’…there can be ’Best Scores’ for other tees and circumstances. And just thinking about records at my place, only our medals and main comps are played off the ‘stones’. Our Stableford scored comps tend to be played from ‘friendlier’ tee positions.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
All well and good until you have a tee behind the stones....our 4th "Championship " tee is about 8-10 -yards behind the White stone
Similarly on the 10th...
Do we only count course records from those tees, which get used once a year?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
All well and good until you have a tee behind the stones....our 4th "Championship " tee is about 8-10 -yards behind the White stone
Similarly on the 10th...
Do we only count course records from those tees, which get used once a year?
Maybe you do. And have (as we do) Lowest Gross Score and Highest Stableford Score records for all tees. These are shown and updated on our website ‘Hall of Fame’ section. Course Record cards are displayed in the clubhouse.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Low handicappers who are good enough to set a course record don't approach stableford in the same was as a high player. They won't score 9 or 10 on a hole.

Not just the low guys. I have never, and will never trouble a course record. But I approach medal and stableford rounds exactly the same. I am only interested in the gross score. I couldn’t care less how many points that equates to.

Imurg

Visit site
Not just the low guys. I have never, and will never trouble a course record. But I approach medal and stableford rounds exactly the same. I am only interested in the gross score. I couldn’t care less how many points that equates to.
Likewise
I'm trying to get the ball in the hole in as few shots as possible..that will equate to however many points it will equate to.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
For a actual course record, does it make sense for a club to decide that play has to be off the ‘stones’…there can be ’Best Scores’ for other tees and circumstances. And just thinking about records at my place, only our medals and main comps are played off the ‘stones’. Our Stableford scored comps tend to be played from ‘friendlier’ tee positions.

No.

As long as the course set up adheres to the requirement of the tees being placed within 100yds of the measured course then any score made should be eligible to be the course record. Let's face it...100yds is 5.56 yds per hole. Yes the record should be off the longest set of tees....but not off the actual "stones".

We can't get into a situation where a 66 played off a course measuring 6399 yds is considered to be better than a 64 played off 6300yds....that would be plain silly (IMO).

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No.

As long as the course set up adheres to the requirement of the tees being placed within 100yds of the measured course then any score made should be eligible to be the course record. Let's face it...100yds is 5.56 yds per hole. Yes the record should be off the longest set of tees....but not off the actual "stones".

We can't get into a situation where a 66 played off a course measuring 6399 yds is considered to be better than a 64 played off 6300yds....that would be plain silly (IMO).

The "within a 100 yards of the measured course" criterion is to do with handicapping. It's far too great a disparity in lengths to compare rounds for a record. The four minute mile barrier would have been broken much earlier had it been, say, 50 yards short of a mile. The obvious basis for consistent measuring of a record round is the length of the course as rated.

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
The "within a 100 yards of the measured course" criterion is to do with handicapping. It's far too great a disparity in lengths to compare rounds. The four minute mile barrier would have been broken much earlier had it been, say, 50 yards short of a mile.
But a mile is a definitive distance.
On a golf course tees move, holes move so the actual distance is never going to be the same....

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The "within a 100 yards of the measured course" criterion is to do with handicapping. It's far too great a disparity in lengths to compare rounds for a record. The four minute mile barrier would have been broken much earlier had it been, say, 50 yards short of a mile. The obvious basis for consistent measuring of a record round is the length of the course as rated.

I will respectfully disagree with you for the following reasons...

But a mile is a definitive distance.
On a golf course tees move, holes move so the actual distance is never going to be the same....

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting, if you were playing a chip to a pin over a hazard and you needed to sink it for a Stableford point but the shot gave you a high probability of entering the hazard you would treat the shot in exactly the same way as if you were playing a medal and you could take two strokes to beat your previous best?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Interesting, if you were playing a chip to a pin over a hazard and you needed to sink it for a Stableford point but the shot gave you a high probability of entering the hazard you would treat the shot in exactly the same way as if you were playing a medal and you could take two strokes to beat your previous best?

I would. I’ve zero interest in a stableford score.
Unless I’m playing match play the only score I have any interest in is my gross.