Course record or otherwise!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can't have a Stableford comp counting for a course record. Totally different mindset and outlook compared to a medal.

How many Club Championships are played with the Stableford format? Zero. Theres a reason for that..

How many times do the Rules of Golf mention mindset ? Is there a two shot penalty for playing a shot with the wrong mindset ?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ironically the guy who "broke the course record" on Wednesday had a 64 today.

He was playing off +4 against +3 on Wednesday. If he had not played on Wednesday he MAY have shot the Course record today as he would only have been playing off +3!

Course record is GROSS and not NETT
So handicap is totally Irrelevant

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ironically the guy who "broke the course record" on Wednesday had a 64 today.

He was playing off +4 against +3 on Wednesday. If he had not played on Wednesday he MAY have shot the Course record today as he would only have been playing off +3!

All of a sudden this thread, interesting as it is in a general way seems to have been triggered by a piece of nonsense. Please tell us we are mistaken. Please reassure us that you don't think a course record can be set with a nett score.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All of a sudden this thread, interesting as it is in a general way seems to have been triggered by a piece of nonsense. Please tell us we are mistaken. Please reassure us that you don't think a course record can be set with a nett score.
Thanks you for yet another condescending comment. Yes I was aware but thanks once again for what you said.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must be having a bad day as well. I still haven't a clue what you mean.

No condescension intended - just bewilderment.
I made a mistake Sir. I am human and have apologised. Let me say that this is a Golf Forum and everybody is not as well versed with The Rules as you.

It is not the first time recently you have attempted to belittle me but that is your prerogativ. I have no intention of going back and giving examples but what I have said is factual

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
How many times do the Rules of Golf mention mindset ? Is there a two shot penalty for playing a shot with the wrong mindset ?
Think it can be disqualification if the committee is so minded.
Maybe not such an egregious sin as putting the wrong handicap number out of the many that we appear to have these days but certainly deserving of punitive punishment 'pour encourager les autres.'

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I made a mistake Sir. I am human and have apologised. Let me say that this is a Golf Forum and everybody is not as well versed with The Rules as you.

It is not the first time recently you have attempted to belittle me but that is your prerogativ. I have no intention of going back and giving examples but what I have said is factual

Easy on, I've no wish or intention to belittle anyone and I'm sorry if anything I've said has come across that way. In this instance, I genuinely did not understand what you were saying about +3s and +4s. Still don't, but no matter. And, by the way, that stuff about "please tell us ...." was meant to be hunorous. Didnae work, though, dd it? :(

Edit: I've looked through my posts back to August and all I can see is a bit of an explosion about implying someone was cheating. The post to which that must have been a response has, however, disappeared and so I couldn't check to see why I replied in that way or whether I had misunderstood something. I do get pretty uptight about the way assertions of cheating are too often made in forums with scant evidence. It goes against my sense of justice and provokes a reaction. I see impatience and exasperation in my response to whatever had been said but there was no intention to belittle.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and I only mentioned ‘mindset’ as being all could think of that would give rise to the R&A recommendation mentioned that course records be based on Medal scoring rather than Stableford.

The only other outside really stretching it reason I could think of was a greater risk (as perceived by the R&A) in a Stableford round of towards the end of the round putting down a score for an early hole that had been a pick-up blob NR with all that was remaining being a tap-in. With marker comment…’well you’d never have missed it so given you’re on for a possible course record we’ll put it down as a…’

Yes I know, but why else the R&A recommendation.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
…and I only mentioned ‘mindset’ as being all could think of that would give rise to the R&A recommendation mentioned that course records be based on Medal scoring rather than Stableford.

The only other outside really stretching it reason I could think of was a greater risk (as perceived by the R&A) in a Stableford round of towards the end of the round putting down a score for an early hole that had been a pick-up blob NR with all that was remaining being a tap-in. With marker comment…’well you’d never have missed it so given you’re on for a possible course record we’ll put it down as a…’

Yes I know, but why else the R&A recommendation.

Why would a marker put down score when the player had picked up and NR'd the hole?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why would a marker put down score when the player had picked up and NR'd the hole?
Collusion.

Say the player blobbed the 1st and picked up his ball with it hanging on the lip. Player goes on to play out of his skin and players decide to change the NR to the score for the NRd hole if player had in fact tapped it in. It’s cheating…of course it is…but the player couldn’t have missed the tap in so why not.

In a medal round it would be a lot harder to change an NR as there would have to be a lot of assumptions made about what the player might have scored…and I suggest that just isn’t going to be done.

It‘s only my fanciful conjecture on R&A logic behind recommendation.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Collusion.

Say the player blobbed the 1st and picked up his ball with it hanging on the lip. Player goes on to play out of his skin and players decide to change the NR to the score for the NRd hole if player had in fact tapped it in. It’s cheating…of course it is…but the player couldn’t have missed the tap in so why not.

In a medal round it would be a lot harder to change an NR as there would have to be a lot of assumptions made about what the player might have scored…and I suggest that just isn’t going to be done.

Surely it just comes down to player integrity. If you don't accept a course record due to the potential of this type of scenario, you are effectively saying you think there is a chance of this type of dishonesty amongst any player who shoots a record score.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Collusion.

This

4LEX

Visit site
You can if a club so decides. I am intrigued by the "mindset and outlook" argument. If a player comes in with a record breaking score in a medal, do we asses their mindset and outlook before recognising it as a new record? Do we examine their thinking with regard to whether a particular stroke was risky or played cautiously? The only difference between medal play and stableford is the system of scoring to determine the winner. In terms of a gross score in a fully holed out round, there is none. It makes no sense to me to be evaluating individual strokes with regard to the mindset of the player when making them.

If it were the case that it is somehow "easier" to get a low score in a stableford as opposed to a medal, it would show in a higher proportion of low scores returned and a number of players who equalled or bettered a course record without recognition. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't - but it's academic. We'll never know and the sky won't fall down as a result of not knowing.

I'm still unconvinced, but it's one thing having an argument in an internet forum, and quite another challenging your own club's practice. I will be keeping schtum in that forum. :)

No self respecting or top class golf club would allow a course record to be from a Stableford event. Some might disagree but that's my take on it.

Obviously mindset and outlook is intangible and impossible to measure. You just have to apply common sense to it. On any shot in a Stableford you know whatever happens it won't be a card wrecker as at worst it's a blob. In a medal it's a different issue and literally every single shot counts.

Without any research I would bet the average winning scores from Stablefords are lower than the average winning scores from medals.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The original question was about whether a stableford score could be a course record. This was answered by Rulefan.There was nothing against mindset and I think for somebody playing off +4 mindset is irrelevant.