Class system

D

Deleted member 21258

I assume that the PM of the day would be the one to formulate this plan to restock prior to selling off everything?
Otherwise its irresponsible at best and neglectful even criminal at worst

After all she was the one that raked in the coin!

History is so far after MT and RTB being introduced, so why worry about that 'one' moment in time, so why blame everything on MT. :sneaky::unsure:

At no time has any government really formulated any proper social housing plan to deal with restocking, reversing or building new social housing. Lock them all up if it was criminal. Alot of the old stock I have seen is in pretty bad state. All the governments are to blame for not dealing with this.

To blame the problem onto one person is just surprising in my eyes. I can see pluses and minus for selling off the old council housing to long term existing 'tenants', but they should have be replacing with new upto date modern housing.

For sure, I do not agree with private landlords taking the place of social housing, we should have built new social housing for future generations and not given stupidly massive discounts for RTB.

Housing should be one of things that everyone has, one of the bare minimums a roof over their head.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How is that a trick? She gave people an opportunity to improve themselves, to have aspirations to do better than their parents generation. To have a stake in society. For me this was the greatest thing Margaret Thatcher ever did.
She also gave those same people they joys of housing reposessions when they couldn't afford their payments because they were living beyond their means.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree with the above that we as a society need to do more to house everyone

People should least have a home

Even if a family do 4 lives in a 2 bed flat it beats living on the streets!

Controversial but I believe tax is too low... I’m fed up getting tax back from the tories.. I’m gonna be £30pm better off when the tax changes etc

I’d rather than £30 be used to fund something useful and not just my latest purchase

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
History is so far after MT and RTB being introduced, so why worry about that 'one' moment in time, so why blame everything on MT. :sneaky::unsure:

At no time has any government really formulated any proper social housing plan to deal with restocking, reversing or building new social housing. Lock them all up if it was criminal. Alot of the old stock I have seen is in pretty bad state. All the governments are to blame for not dealing with this.

To blame the problem onto one person is just surprising in my eyes. I can see pluses and minus for selling off the old council housing to long term existing 'tenants', but they should have be replacing with new upto date modern housing.

For sure, I do not agree with private landlords taking the place of social housing, we should have built new social housing for future generations and not given stupidly massive discounts for RTB.

Housing should be one of things that everyone has, one of the bare minimums a roof over their head.

You're seriously asking why blame MT for doing/causing it, more than those that followed for not cleaning it up

We're not taking about a dog crapping on the floor leaving humans to clean it... Or are we :unsure:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surely the real blame in respect of council housing, lies with that government and ALL future governments that did not build new council housing to replace the old stuff sold off.

I know that doesn't quite fit your comments, but any future government can give planning on a cheap piece of land and build subject to giving itself planning, but all governments haven't really dealt with the issue imho. The selling off I do not have a problem with per se.

The old stock is pretty poor from what I have seen with my own family and clients, so selling off isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does need replacing with new stuff.

why would anyone spend money building new council houses to replace those which had been sold off, knowing that the new ones would just be sold off at the same ridiculous discount? That would be a crazy policy.

As for your final point, what happened was all the decent council houses were sold off and the only ones the councils were left with were the ones which were so bad no-one wanted to buy them.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I agree with the above that we as a society need to do more to house everyone

People should least have a home

Even if a family do 4 lives in a 2 bed flat it beats living on the streets!

Controversial but I believe tax is too low... I’m fed up getting tax back from the tories.. I’m gonna be £30pm better off when the tax changes etc

I’d rather than £30 be used to fund something useful and not just my latest purchase

Trouble is housing is more treated like an opportunity to make money than a basic need for the population. And as for raising taxes to benefit the nation then easy tiger, people have been called communists for less ;)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Trouble is housing is more treated like an opportunity to make money than a basic need for the population. And as for raising taxes to benefit the nation then easy tiger, people have been called communists for less ;)

Heaven forbid the lucky people of this country should help out the less fortunate

I’m lucky to have been born in a London borough

Got my pick of decent schools

Got employed by a company that pays well

I couldn’t imagine I’d of got the same life in say Preston (no offence to anyone from Preston ofc)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree your last sentence. It's largely outdated and apart from curiosity I don't hear this being discussed. It is more of a generational thing.

I can't agree with your definition. Most people will work for someone else so that would mean 98% of the working population are working class. That simply isn't the case. Can a stock broker or a banker earning 7 figure salaries and bonuses, never getting their hands dirty, really be working class? However, I think the definitions are largely irrelevant now as I don't see current generations viewing people in this way.

I'll have to show my daughter the old sketch about class and watch her face. I'm suspecting she will just shake her head and look bemused.
Yes I agree it’s very hard to define class lines now !
Think that’s a good thing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Back in the day if you were paid a wage (weekly) you were 'working class'... If you received a salary (monthly) you were middle class...

Not so sure, nowadays, what the measure would be... Lazy way would be to define it on what tax bracket...
People on the tills in Macdonalds are paid monthly.
The lines now are very blurred.
What are you on a zero hours contract.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My golf fees are £1,100 at an ok parkland, my LFC season ticket is £725.00.

I can imagine that in less populated areas like North Wales, Cumbria, North east (from what Ive heard) that them figures would be the other way around.
Fees up here for a decent parkland course are around £600. We are lucky, I don't underestimate that.

D

Deleted member 21258

You're seriously asking why blame MT for doing/causing it, more than those that followed for not cleaning it up

We're not taking about a dog crapping on the floor leaving humans to clean it... Or are we :unsure:

We are talking almost 30 years since she left office and I see no one cleaning up the policy, amending bits of it but.....it is all MT fault I agree, its easier to:LOL::)

D

Deleted member 21258

why would anyone spend money building new council houses to replace those which had been sold off, knowing that the new ones would just be sold off at the same ridiculous discount? That would be a crazy policy.

As for your final point, what happened was all the decent council houses were sold off and the only ones the councils were left with were the ones which were so bad no-one wanted to buy them.

Not quite true IMHO, I saw first hand many tenants could not get the finance. If the ones left were still available for tenants then I would have thought you would be happy, as someone who I assume thinks none should have been sold off.

I also posted about the ridiculous discounts available, so don't disagree there. Of course new stock should have been built, they could have built them for a big discount, as they can get land cheap with planning and land with planning is mega bucks even back when RTB was introduced. Some councils also now charge massive figures in respect of s106 and CIL charges, which should all be ploughed back into the community.

I am not going back and forth, as it just looking like arguing, so wish you well and have a good evening.:coffee: