What age do you stop improving

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I class myself as an improving golfer
Age 60, been playing regularly for best part of 15 years, got down to 18 for a week under the old system about 8 years ago.
Since then a number of well documented medical issues put paid to any progress and indeed, put me back to where I started in terms of handicap.

Now fast forward I’ve just won a handicap board comp, had 3 shots knocked off as a result, beat my new handicap this morning, so another cut due. And left loads out there, so much room for better

I know I’m going to reach a plateau, but it is a thing of joy to A) still be able to play at all and B) to still be able to get better

Love this game (mostly)

To those older than myself, when did the decline start to kick in

To those whippersnappers, how long have you got left ?

Improve what? There’s nothing stopping someone improving their score/handicap through to a ripe old age. But that doesn’t mean distance doesn’t drop off. Providing the swing is well honed, it becomes which club to use. 20 years ago I’d use a 4 iron for 200 yards, now it’s a 3 wood. Would I regularly hit the green with a 4 iron? No, I relied on a good short game. Same applies today.

I struggle to hit the 450yd par 4’s in 2, but I did 20 years ago anyway. Until the yardage really drops off, you can still post a good score off a low handicap by having a good short game.

If the game was ALL about strength & length us old coffin dodgers would struggle. I rarely miss a fairway now, which means less train wreck holes. I take on less risk shots now, rarely taking on tight pins. There might not be as many birdies but there’s also less doubles.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Improve what? There’s nothing stopping someone improving their score/handicap through to a ripe old age. But that doesn’t mean distance doesn’t drop off. Providing the swing is well honed, it becomes which club to use. 20 years ago I’d use a 4 iron for 200 yards, now it’s a 3 wood. Would I regularly hit the green with a 4 iron? No, I relied on a good short game. Same applies today.

I struggle to hit the 450yd par 4’s in 2, but I did 20 years ago anyway. Until the yardage really drops off, you can still post a good score off a low handicap by having a good short game.

If the game was ALL about strength & length us old coffin dodgers would struggle. I rarely miss a fairway now, which means less train wreck holes. I take on less risk shots now, rarely taking on tight pins. There might not be as many birdies but there’s also less doubles.

Good to see you back posting Brian ??

D

Deleted member 29109

Do any of you more elderly players do any strength training or stretching to combat the loss of distance?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Do any of you more elderly players do any strength training or stretching to combat the loss of distance?
Not me.
Gardening and household chores is enough strength training exercise for me.
Playing golf 2 or 3 days a week is also good strength training, I find.
I think that being the same weight that I was 40 years ago helps quite a bit. :D
I can't do 100m in sub-11 secs like I could then however, but I don't bother with speed training to combat the loss.
I just accept my capabilities and my limitations and try to make the best of it.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

After 50 years of playing with gentle fade, wishing for a gentle draw, my new (6 months) gentle, controlled swing is a gentle draw. It’s about control.

And the new swing, shock horror, won me a longest drive for the first time in a good few years.

Do I do strength exercises? No, but I do stretch exercises pretty much every day. That and losing 2 stone has helped.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the definition of elderly?:oops:
I’m 64 and do 100 miles a week approx on my bike but no actual gym work.
Stretching and skipping in the garden nothing to strenuous just get the heart rate up a bit.