What age do you stop improving

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I class myself as an improving golfer
Age 60, been playing regularly for best part of 15 years, got down to 18 for a week under the old system about 8 years ago.
Since then a number of well documented medical issues put paid to any progress and indeed, put me back to where I started in terms of handicap.

Now fast forward I’ve just won a handicap board comp, had 3 shots knocked off as a result, beat my new handicap this morning, so another cut due. And left loads out there, so much room for better

I know I’m going to reach a plateau, but it is a thing of joy to A) still be able to play at all and B) to still be able to get better

Love this game (mostly)

To those older than myself, when did the decline start to kick in

To those whippersnappers, how long have you got left ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I stopped improving at about 17 lol (cue brother no 2 :ROFLMAO: )

My dads in his mid 70s and still scores as well as he ever did having not started the game until his 40s when he gave up cricket. Hes started to lose a few yards now but his short game seems to get better every year. Matter of playing to your strengths until you dont have any left ;)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm off 15, should be 13 in all honesty but I haven't put enough cards in. I personally believe I'll be able to get down to 12 or maybe 11 at a push but I'll struggle to go any lower than that. Mainly because a) I'm not a long hitter and b) I don't put in hours of practise, I just play once/twice a week.

Springveldt

Visit site
I played loads as a youngster (every day during summer holidays etc) and if I remember right I was off 11 at the age of 14. Stopped playing and didn’t play for 25 years when I took it up again and my first handicap back was 15.

Going into my 6th season now and I’m currently 5.4 and I feel like I’m a far better golfer now than a couple of years ago, I definitely feel I’m still improving. Fairly confident I can get my index down into the 4’s at some point this year.

Hopefully still got a few years of improving yet.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Like you Fragger I feel I can still get better, even at 69 years young.

At the end of last season I won a couple of board comps and off a HI of 16 at the moment I feel I could win again. I'm certainly hitting the driver as well as I've done for a couple of years, my iron play is quite steady and I've definitely improved my short game and putting in the last 6 months. I'm not too sure when old age will start the decline but I'd love a lower handicap for a year or two yet.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Age 60, been playing regularly for best part of 15 years, got down to 18 for a week under the old system about 8 years ago.
Since then a number of well documented medical issues put paid to any progress and indeed, put me back to where I started in terms of handicap.

Now fast forward I’ve just won a handicap board comp, had 3 shots knocked off as a result, beat my new handicap this morning, so another cut due. And left loads out there, so much room for better

I know I’m going to reach a plateau, but it is a thing of joy to A) still be able to play at all and B) to still be able to get better

Love this game (mostly)

Hope springs eternal and age is just a number. That takes care of the platitudes. I shot my age again on Tuesday - it gets easier every year - and hope to continue to do so till I drop.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think as ball striking perhaps diminishes with age, common sense and course management perhaps improves, possibly to the extent that your overall game may be better.

I’m mid-50’s, still hit a long ball, but my decision making is way better than it was ten years ago. I rarely take on the 1/1000 option, often now taking my medicine where the younger me would have scoffed at the thought.

I’m back to single figures after years in the doldrums and think I can still improve on where I am currently.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Like you Fragger I feel I can still get better, even at 69 years young.

At the end of last season I won a couple of board comps and off a HI of 16 at the moment I feel I could win again. I'm certainly hitting the driver as well as I've done for a couple of years, my iron play is quite steady and I've definitely improved my short game and putting in the last 6 months. I'm not too sure when old age will start the decline but I'd love a lower handicap for a year or two yet.

One thing I am certainly finding since my prostate surgery, Chris, is that the bad shots no longer matter. Sure, I’ll still have a word with myself after a poor one, but it’s immediately forgotten. There are bigger things to worry about than slapping it round, and that’s another area where age, and all getting older involves, can help us improve as golfers.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think as ball striking perhaps diminishes with age, common sense and course management perhaps improves, possibly to the extent that your overall game may be better.

I’m mid-50’s, still hit a long ball, but my decision making is way better than it was ten years ago. I rarely take on the 1/1000 option, often now taking my medicine where the younger me would have scoffed at the thought.

I’m back to single figures after years in the doldrums and think I can still improve on where I am currently.
This for me.
But I think the technology has helped me stay off 6 cap at 64 yrs old.
I have definitely lost yds off the tee.
But my irons and short game are better now than when I was lower.
Always been a streaky putter and that hasn’t changed, so a big effort this year to better putting.
That’s why we love golf ,it’s in there somewhere just got to find it.

IanMcC

Visit site

Love this game (mostly)

Very refreshing post, Phil. I am not far behind you, as I am 60 this year. I am clinging on to a single figure Index, but my last 3 rounds have all been pretty decent, and my general play suggests I have improvement left in me.
It is a great question, but I am sure there is no definitive answer.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Jackanory time -
2018 May, I was out 4th in Central 7s league at home, (confident as order of merit winner from previous season). Think off 11 and up against a 70 (maybe 71) year old. Close match but I was beaten.
Return fixture August, I'd been playing pretty well, had come down a shot & few decimals - was out 2nd. To my surprise was drawn against same fella, who'd also come down. Okay revenge time I think. He turned me over again ?.
From memory he gone to full retirement relatively recently and had been playing a lot more. He also shared he'd won the net club championship a couple of weeks earlier, with a mid 70s round.
It stuck in my head as whilst disappointed I was impressed with his game & drive.

Mind, with WHS I looked him up, currently 18 ? (but no idea what may have gone on in interim)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A lot depends on where you're starting from.
I'd say, even at 60/70, if you're starting from a fairly high index it's relatively straightforward to bring the index down by utilising some of the pointers on the Single Figure thread..
Keep it in play, don't take on risky shots etc etc...coming down from 28 shots shouldn't be that tricky..
If youre starting at low teens then it can be harder as you get older...you're starting to lose a bit of power so you're hitting longer clubs but even then you should be getting more savvy with course management
The only time, I think, that age has a real bearing on the ability to improve is when you get to the stage where you need to take a headcover off to hit 140 yards..things are getting tricky then although there will always be exceptions
I'm only 20 months behind Fragger and I'm still using stiff shafts and hitting distances I've been reaching for the last 15+ years...hopefully I've got a good few left before things start to deteriorate....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have the inclination and desire to get better then I don’t see age is a barrier, unless of course you have limitations caused by flexibility or injuries. I am 60 this year and my index is the lowest it has ever been at 2.7.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s clear that the quality of golf is correlated to the ability to play/practice etc. Hence most people either peak in their teens or after they retire. ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Love this game (mostly)

Are you back to 18, or under, though yet. If so, that's fantastic; if not then you are still 'just' a returning/recovering golfer.
Still great to read you are sufficiently recovered to be heading (back) down again!

At 67, I'm in a similar boat - and yet to discover where I stand - having had a 2nd hip replacement in October and deciding to allow the entire Winter period for 'recovery', as Winter golf is a pretty sticky affair where we play anyway. My season starts pretty soon.

Imo, WHS makes 'natural' adjustment for either chronic degredation or recovery (can) happen considerably quicker than under the old system.

At a previous club, I often played with a couple of competitive brothers - both of 7 - who were in their late 60s. Both were also ex CEOs of sizeable companies (one considerably larger than the other) and were still ultra-competitive - especially with each other. Both had spent much of their work time on the golf course building relationships!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I see no reason why someone cant keep chipping away at their handicap well into later life.
Obviously the lower you have been the harder that becomes due to the distance loses.
We play most of our golf at the one course by and large. Over time we learn from out mistakes and this can help us build a game and game plan to best navigate this course.

Over time we do lose our way from time to time. The pros are not immune to this as well. Sometimes even getting back to where we once were is an achievement to strive for and be proud of. This can come from finding a holy grail club that works wonders for you or a bit of a swing change that sets a light bulb off in you head and allows you to play golf you didnt know you had in you.

That's the beauty and appeal of this game. We know we will never master it but the next level of improvement always seems within our grasp and teases us forever more.

AliMc

Visit site
This for me.
But I think the technology has helped me stay off 6 cap at 64 yrs old.
I have definitely lost yds off the tee.
But my irons and short game are better now than when I was lower.
Always been a streaky putter and that hasn’t changed, so a big effort this year to better putting.
That’s why we love golf ,it’s in there somewhere just got to find it.
A virtual mirror image of myself cc, same age only difference I'm currently off 5.2 but equates to ch of 6, even down to the (very) streaky putting !

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m nearly your age Phil. Started off of 26 seven years ago. Last year played one competition off of 18 for the first (and to date only) time. Struggled all last Summer and I am currently playing comps off of 21.
Started this year striking the ball much better again and the one positive last Summer is that I gained 20 yards with my driver by using a fuller swing, which makes me hopeful that I can get down to 18 again (HI 16.8). Can I go lower? Yes, but that will need much practice on chipping and putting, which is where I lose most shots compared to those in single figures. I am now spending more time on our short game area and time will tell if this makes a difference.
I am encouraged by one guy at our club who told me his aim when he started playing was to get down to 7, which is what his father played off. He got there after 20 years, aged 67.