Class system

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I Didn’t want to take Tashys thread off on a tangent but there was a couple of comments on there that got me thinking about the class system, Cressida reckons it’s the middle classes fuelling the demand for drugs, Tash claims he is working class (tbh the amount of holidays he has I thought he was a retired pit owner!😉) and Lord T identifies as middle class.

But honestly what is Working class and what is middle class nowadays?

Mortgages .... nice cars .... holidays ... savings ... going out to eat in nice restaurants etc ..... is that working class or middle class ?

I have worked since I left school at 16 never signed on and come from a hard working family from Millwall, I’m now a company director of a sme but have never classed myself anything other than working class.

My Dad used to say "If you wake up in the morning and have to go to work, you are working class. If you wake up in the morning and wonder when the maid is going to serve breakfast, you are middle class. If you wake up in the morning not giving a toss about the aforementioned you are upper class" 😄

So what are people’s thoughts regarding class? Is it alive and thriving in 2019?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I Didn’t want to take Tashys thread off on a tangent but there was a couple of comments on there that got me thinking about the class system, Cressida reckons it’s the middle classes fuelling the demand for drugs, Tash claims he is working class (tbh the amount of holidays he has I thought he was a retired pit owner!😉) and Lord T identifies as middle class.

Mortgages .... nice cars .... holidays ... savings ... going out to eat in nice restaurants etc ..... is that working class or middle class ?

I have worked since I left school at 16 never signed on and come from a hard working family from Millwall, I’m now a company director of a sme but have never classed myself anything other than working class.

My Dad used to say "If you wake up in the morning and have to go to work, you are working class. If you wake up in the morning and wonder when the maid is going to serve breakfast, you are middle class. If you wake up in the morning not giving a toss about the aforementioned you are upper class" 😄

So what are people’s thoughts regarding class? Is it alive and thriving in 2019?

What your dad is saying is slightly wrong because only the upper class has that kind of money!

Middle class now days is actually owning something rather than renting I’d say.. something to add to your portfolio

Also having enough cash to be comfortable

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
What your dad is saying is slightly wrong because only the upper class has that kind of money!

Middle class now days is actually owning something rather than renting I’d say.. something to add to your portfolio

Also having enough cash to be comfortable

But so many working class people do own their own houses and are comfortable, especially in the building game.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But so many working class people do own their own houses and are comfortable, especially in the building game.

That’s not working class anymore really tho

If you have to rent because you can’t afford to buy that’s working class .. you are working to live

I have a plan for life after work

Those who will never own will always need an income for the rent

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there are a lot of people claiming to be working class who are now very much in the middle class bracket. The lines have become blurred, people have definitely crossed over far more than they did back in the past. I do find it slightly funny that many who now live a middle class life are desperate to be known as working class, as though there is something wrong with that.

I identified as middle class on Tashy's thread. That's not a boast or said in embarrassment, I just tick those boxes from growing up to now.

The good thing now is that I don't think that class is much of an issue. It's not something that is thought about or talked about much. We have moved on.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think there are a lot of people claiming to be working class who are now very much in the middle class bracket. The lines have become blurred, people have definitely crossed over far more than they did back in the past. I do find it slightly funny that many who now live a middle class life are desperate to be known as working class, as though there is something wrong with that.

I identified as middle class on Tashy's thread. That's not a boast or said in embarrassment, I just tick those boxes from growing up to now.

The good thing now is that I don't think that class is much of an issue. It's not something that is thought about or talked about much. We have moved on.

I agree and there is nothing to be embarrassed about whatever class anyone identifies as.
Personally I think there is upper class (posh)
True middle class, doctors, lawyers etc then middle/working class, this area is less defined and subject to individual interpretation, then Benefits class... feckless people that have no aspirations.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Own my own house purely because of the inheritance I got from selling my parents place when my mum died added to the collateral from the terraced house my wife and I lived in. I would still be mortgaged and wouldn't have a place as nice as I have now. Simple fact. Aside from that (and the fact I'd trade it all back in to have my mum back) I am definitely working class. I work to live. It pays the bills and hopefully a few quid left over for my wife and I to enjoy ourselves as well. I enjoy what I do and where I work which helps. Is the class system still prevalent and relevant?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I must be upper class then as I’ve retired.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My FiL brought this up a little while ago. He was going on about being working class. He was undoubtedly brought up in a working class house but I had to point out he had been to grammar school, was an accountant, went to bridge club, lived in a 5 bedroom house current value around £700-£750k (substantial anywhere but particularly up here), and his pensions were larger than my salary. He accepted that perhaps he was no longer working class after all 😁

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
These days it’s different the upper class used to be defined by money, property, business.
Now most drug dealers have more money than anyone else.
Jobs and income shouldn’t define your class.
I worked for forty years so I would identify as working class.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
My FiL brought this up a little while ago. He was going on about being working class. He was undoubtedly brought up in a working class house but I had to point out he had been to grammar school, was an accountant, went to bridge club, lived in a 5 bedroom house current value around £700-£750k (substantial anywhere but particularly up here), and his pensions were larger than my salary. He accepted that perhaps he was no longer working class after all 😁

Maybe it’s all just a state of mind?😄

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But he worked for what he has nobody gave it to him.
So the job you do defines your status.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the past that would be a true statement.

It’s almost true of now tho. If you can afford to spend £1000s a year playing a game

That’s why football was always the working class mans game.. cheap to play.. can play almost anywhere .. cost maybe £100 a year if you have to (not now ofc)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But he worked for what he has nobody gave it to him.
So the job you do defines your status.
Would you put accountancy in the category of working class occupations? Incidentally I wasn't having a pop in our discussion. He has worked hard to get where he is.

The golf point is a funny one. Growing up in Cheshire I saw golf as a middle to upper class sport. Moving to Northumberland there are more working class golfers than any other category. In reality you can argue golf is classless here.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Would you put accountancy in the category of working class occupations? Incidentally I wasn't having a pop in our discussion. He has worked hard to get where he is.

The golf point is a funny one. Growing up in Cheshire I saw golf as a middle to upper class sport. Moving to Northumberland there are more working class golfers than any other category. In reality you can argue golf is classless here.

But can someone who’s true working class really justify spending a lot of money just to play a game

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
It’s almost true of now tho. If you can afford to spend £1000s a year playing a game

That’s why football was always the working class mans game.. cheap to play.. can play almost anywhere .. cost maybe £100 a year if you have to (not now ofc)

You don’t need to spend a £1000 a year to play golf. Plenty of good courses around us that you can play every week for half that... joining a golf club is more middle class though. 👍