Car Tyres

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had Michelin Cross Climates on my previous car and will do so as and when I need to put new tyres on replacement car. Reasonably quiet and IMO no noticable performance difference to "normal" tyres in most conditions, but noticably improved grip when temperature was down to to 6*/7* and below when normal tyre grip falls away. Again, IMO, better grip in frosty road conditions, but can't comment on performance on snow as we had virtually none in the last 2 years in the SE.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Had Michelin Cross Climates on my previous car and will do so as and when I need to put new tyres on replacement car. Reasonably quiet and IMO no noticable performance difference to "normal" tyres in most conditions, but noticably improved grip when temperature was down to to 6*/7* and below when normal tyre grip falls away. Again, IMO, better grip in frosty road conditions, but can't comment on performance on snow as we had virtually none in the last 2 years in the SE.
That's good to know. After reading the link BiM posted we're getting these.
We don't have a performance car, just an old Zafira Tourer but just need it to be safe ferrying the kids around to their clubs on cold winter nights.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I run Conti all season van tyres on my Transporter, and only run all season tyres now.They work even in snow though obviously not as well as full winter tyres, but then squirreling front tyres when you get a sudden warn day can be more scary than all season in snow.
Michelin have soft walls which doesn't help if you brush a kerb. Youngest had Goodyear 4 seasons on her Ibiza and they were fine.
TBH, I wonder why anyone wouldnt have All Season tyres especially that far north.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I run Conti all season van tyres on my Transporter, and only run all season tyres now.They work even in snow though obviously not as well as full winter tyres, but then squirreling front tyres when you get a sudden warn day can be more scary than all season in snow.
Michelin have soft walls which doesn't help if you brush a kerb. Youngest had Goodyear 4 seasons on her Ibiza and they were fine.
TBH, I wonder why anyone wouldnt have All Season tyres especially that far north.

Well, for me it’s because they make both the xDrive M340i and the rear wheel 840i handle like shopping trolleys.

I’ll use winter tyres on the 340 when it’s cold enough but only the 340 as it’s xDrive and they are swapped back as soon as it’s warmed up even slightly.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I guess us folk living in the sub-tropical south don't have these issues with tyres, well I don't and don't know anyone else who does. For the couple of days a decade we get a dusting of snow it's not worth considering winter tyres or the hassle of changing them.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess us folk living in the sub-tropical south don't have these issues with tyres, well I don't and don't know anyone else who does. For the couple of days a decade we get a dusting of snow it's not worth considering winter tyres or the hassle of changing them.
That's why I went for the cross climates. No noticable loss of performance at normal temps for 8/9 months of the year but better grip for those weeks when temp drops below 7/8*. Just felt a tad safer. Didn't notice any appreciable difference in tyre wear either.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It is not so much for the grip when accelerating, but more for better grip when braking that these tyres come into their own.
I agree but easier to drive to the conditions than change tyres.
My sporty car has soft performance tyres (Michelin pilot sport), any hint of snow I'll just take use my wife's Citigo which is great in snow.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I agree but easier to drive to the conditions than change tyres.
My sporty car has soft performance tyres (Michelin pilot sport), any hint of snow I'll just take use my wife's Citigo which is great in snow.

You should always drive to the conditions, but when the conditions offer practically no grip with summer tyres it’s time to change tyres.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s not snow but temperatures being close to freezing that we get from November to March. The difference in braking distance can be quite alarming and that driving in and around The Smoke.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s not snow but temperatures being close to freezing that we get from November to March. The difference in braking distance can be quite alarming and that driving in and around The Smoke.
Never had a problem, I can't remember a situation where I've lost traction. Surely you can't drive fast enough around the Smoke these days to be a problem.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never had a problem, I can't remember a situation where I've lost traction. Surely you can't drive fast enough around the Smoke these days to be a problem.
Ahhh, the speed is the problem arguement.
if you dont understand the differing compounds they are made of and tread patterns used in All Season tyres will make a difference to your braking distance in colder weather, I am unable to help you.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
You may not have had a problem losing traction, but it is a fact that braking distances of all season tyres is much less in the cold that that of normal tyres.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This thread could go the same way as the golf ball ones - it's all in the head and there is no difference between different types of tyres, you are over paying, etc :p

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ahhh, the speed is the problem arguement.
if you dont understand the differing compounds they are made of and tread patterns used in All Season tyres will make a difference to your braking distance in colder weather, I am unable to help you.
No, speed wasn't the arguement, rather than it's difficult to drive fast up the smoke these days.

Regarding help, I didn't need any.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, speed wasn't the arguement, rather than it's difficult to drive fast up the smoke these days.

Regarding help, I didn't need any.
Since London is covered almost fully by a 20mph limit anyway, pedestrians now use the road as a footpath with right of way, the abundance of electric and Boris bikes and uber stop anywhere drivers all means that braking distance is even more important than before.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Ditto to that comment.

Money is better spent going on a hazardous driving conditions course.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve done 60k miles now on all Vredestein Quatrac Pro all season without any issues. They grip well in cold wet weather and have got me home a couple of times when it’s snowed.

They probably aren’t as good as proper winter tyres in the worst weather, but I would say they are a great compromise.
Put 2 of those on the front back in July and rears are being done on Thursday ;)(y)